Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 02:29 PM

269 posts, read 606,849 times

Advertisements

I am currently having a condo and i am renting it out

My agent tells me "dont renovate the kitchen if its not for yourself, it doesnt raise the value of the condo!"

Is it really true?

The kitchen cabinets are from the 70s. i Think it is time to remove the cabinets and buy a new sink and mixer. The fridge and stove are pretty new so i dont need to change them.

Do you think that i should renovate?

How much would it cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 02:34 PM

And of course, anyone you can recommend for the job?

Old 03-22-2014, 10:41 AM

Wow, alot of answers and ideas :-)

Dont speak all at once

Old 03-22-2014, 11:55 PM

7,760 posts, read 6,352,415 times
Will rehabbing the kitchen bring a higher rent?

Old 03-23-2014, 05:50 AM

30,332 posts, read 21,129,059 times
Just spending money for a renter to tear it up.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:56 AM

27,071 posts, read 43,711,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan1983 View Post
I am currently having a condo and i am renting it out

My agent tells me "dont renovate the kitchen if its not for yourself, it doesnt raise the value of the condo!"

Is it really true?

The kitchen cabinets are from the 70s. i Think it is time to remove the cabinets and buy a new sink and mixer. The fridge and stove are pretty new so i dont need to change them.

Do you think that i should renovate?

How much would it cost?
Your agent is cray-cray. How does renovating the kitchen (#1 return on investment in a home) not increase the value? Rental or not it still factors into the perceived overall value if you were to say want to sell it tomorrow. What kind of return on investment do you suppose it would carry with those 1970s cabinets staring down potential buyers? Furthermore investing dollars into improvements allows you to charge more and attract renters who are more likely to take care of it.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Your agent is cray-cray. How does renovating the kitchen (#1 return on investment in a home) not increase the value? Rental or not it still factors into the perceived overall value if you were to say want to sell it tomorrow. What kind of return on investment do you suppose it would carry with those 1970s cabinets staring down potential buyers? Furthermore investing dollars into improvements allows you to charge more and attract renters who are more likely to take care of it.
I looked it up, it was really 1960s cabinets

How much do you think i need to spend? as i said, the Electronics are up to date, it is only cabinets and bench.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:51 AM

819 posts, read 1,404,675 times
If the intent is to sell, I don't think renovating would be worth it. If you spent $10k on cabinets I wouldn't give you $10k more than the comps in the building were going for unless the entire rest of the condo were rehabbed as well. If the intent is to rent, then I think renovating would be good. People love to do online reviews these days, VRBO, Airbnb, Trip Advisor, etc. and if your condo presents better, it's going to get better ratings, more people see it, more people want to rent it. Obviously you wouldn't want to go as high end on the rehab as you might if you were living in it yourself, but bringing it up to date is not a bad idea. My father has a condo at Breckenridge ski resort in Colorado that he uses exclusively as a rental. When he swapped out the 1980's cabinets and the hideous couches, next thing you know rentals started picking up. We found it reviewed on some websites and there were a lot of complaints about it being 'dated' prior to rehab, which probably turned people off from renting it even though functionally it was fine.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:48 AM

27,071 posts, read 43,711,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan1983 View Post
I looked it up, it was really 1960s cabinets

How much do you think i need to spend? as i said, the Electronics are up to date, it is only cabinets and bench.
You can get it done between $2000-$3000 in terms of your kitchen cabinetry, especially if you are handy or have a reasonably priced handyman versus hiring more expensive "professional installers". Butcher Block is an inexpensive replacement for outdated laminate countertops and fairly easy to maintain as they can be sanded and resealed after a tenant moves out if need be. Check out Cabinets To Go for both items.

Kitchen Cabinets, Modern White & Oak Kitchen Cabinets | Cabinets To Go

Old 03-26-2014, 06:50 AM

27 posts, read 53,857 times
Renovation will be a plus, BUT you will have to watch the budget. Over doing to make it exceed the norm for the other units will not pay off but making it look clean, neutral and updated always pays off. Don't use formica if everyone else has granite or vice versa. Scrutinize the numbers, determine a payback time and stay within the budge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay