U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 06:34 AM

278 posts, read 459,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinia View Post
My son is 11 and was 9 when we arrived...I did a quick post on Education here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...education.html

Public schools here..more bad than good. If you are moving to Pinellas county let me know and I will tell you the best charter school ever! Their are a many alternatives to the public school and they will most likely be your best bet depending on the area.
It is very family friendly in a lot of ways...biking/hiking trails..loads of playgrounds ect..Depends on the specific area but this is a very dog friendly area.
Oh my..hate to say this again but the commute depends on where you live..the commute from Dunedin is nothing less than an exercise in futility..If you need to take 19 or alt 19 anywhere it will be a bit nightmarish. I work from home and my husband works somewhere he doesn't need to take a hwy .. on purpose. We chose this area for many reasons but the commute/traffic is not one of them!

A word on neighborhoods (as said by Wwanderer)..this is a bit of an odd duck thing but..I live in a duplex with the water (the bay not the good stuff but I will take it!) at the end of the road...lots of huge nice houses all around. It isn't a spot where you think police will be answering a call every night..but two streets over it is pretty rough..you really can't state that a neighborhood is bad or good..it's dang near street by street. If you find something you like..drive around.. a lot...then do it again at 11pmish. I now this sounds overly dramatic but it isn't.

Is their anything else I can specifically help you with?
No I get what you mean by that..same goes for where I live now..we are in a decent area (not much crime to speak of on my street or the couple streets close by, but go down the hill about 3/4 of a mile and it's a different story armed robberies every day!)

I more just want a neighborhood with young kids that go out to play everyday (or a at least a lot) because where I live now there are no children all teenagers that just got their license so they're flying up and down the streets, burning out their tires trying to impress the other teens and smoking flicking butts out the windows just no regard really to my little ones trying to play outside and not really what I want to live around. I want kids rriding bikes up and down the streets, kids playing ball, tag, normal small kid stuff...my kids just play with each other but get bored easily and beg me to do play dates at friends houses but then I have to stay there the entire time which takes away from stuff I need to get done at home. When I was a kid I had tons of friends in my neighborhood , and we'd always play outside all day until our parents made us come in..I want my kids to have those same experiences, to make life long friends. So that's why I asked. I looked into the Virtual Schooling and it was interesting I just would fear that my kids would fall behind without the presence of an actual person (aside of me) holding them accountable to make sure they are paying attention and understanding..like would they actually sit there in front of the computer for 4-5 hours you know? I guess I just need to look into it more. My kids are so attached to me now I also fear that would increase if they never left for school. My daughter is in second grade and still to this day has anxiety everyday about school because she says she will 'miss me'. I even looked into why she is this way maybe an issue at school with friends or a teacher? But no, she is just really attached to me. So she would prolly LOVE virtual school but again i'm just not sure yet. What was a day like when you did that for a little while? Did your kids do well with it? Did they enjoy it? How did it work, like an example of how the day would go time wise etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 04:38 PM

17 posts, read 28,428 times
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuda1 View Post
No I get what you mean by that..same goes for where I live now..we are in a decent area (not much crime to speak of on my street or the couple streets close by, but go down the hill about 3/4 of a mile and it's a different story armed robberies every day!)

I more just want a neighborhood with young kids that go out to play everyday (or a at least a lot) because where I live now there are no children all teenagers that just got their license so they're flying up and down the streets, burning out their tires trying to impress the other teens and smoking flicking butts out the windows just no regard really to my little ones trying to play outside and not really what I want to live around. I want kids rriding bikes up and down the streets, kids playing ball, tag, normal small kid stuff...my kids just play with each other but get bored easily and beg me to do play dates at friends houses but then I have to stay there the entire time which takes away from stuff I need to get done at home. When I was a kid I had tons of friends in my neighborhood , and we'd always play outside all day until our parents made us come in..I want my kids to have those same experiences, to make life long friends. So that's why I asked. I looked into the Virtual Schooling and it was interesting I just would fear that my kids would fall behind without the presence of an actual person (aside of me) holding them accountable to make sure they are paying attention and understanding..like would they actually sit there in front of the computer for 4-5 hours you know? I guess I just need to look into it more. My kids are so attached to me now I also fear that would increase if they never left for school. My daughter is in second grade and still to this day has anxiety everyday about school because she says she will 'miss me'. I even looked into why she is this way maybe an issue at school with friends or a teacher? But no, she is just really attached to me. So she would prolly LOVE virtual school but again i'm just not sure yet. What was a day like when you did that for a little while? Did your kids do well with it? Did they enjoy it? How did it work, like an example of how the day would go time wise etc.?
My son is actually attending FLVS this year...so all online. Typical day has changed greatly since the beginning of the year. At the start of the year I had to sit right next to him and do each lesson with him. Since I signed up for that no biggie..but now he is much more independent. He uses the laptop at the table and I keep my tablet handy..so here's how it kinda goes..

9:30am ish we start..
We usually start with math because he needs the least help with it and I don't dig mornings much! Takes anywhere from 20 min to an hour per lesson (I never let it exceed an hour or your just beating your head against a wall). After each lesson he takes a short break (away from electronics!)..we walk around the block for several of the breaks. Then we do the next lesson..whichever one we want and on and on until we are done for the day..we can be done as early as 1 or as late as 3. If for some reason you need a day switched around you can do school on saturday instead of monday....
We do school at Panera or another place at least once a week..and then another day at the library..
It is a bit of work..a huge time and energy commitment but for us it works!

If my son had separation anxiety I don't know that I would choose this option...the great thing about Florida is the abundance of charter, magnet, and private options available! Don't think of virtual is your only choice at all!

I was raised in the country and we were a bunch of wild children..coming in only to be fed and pushed (not that we were that reluctant) until the next meal or dark! I do wish my son had that kind of freedom and joy too but I haven't found that either. We do have to make an effort to be social and yes it does mean that I have very little alone time! However, setting up a barter system for play dates isn't a bad idea and if the kids are in school probably doable! You take mine this afternoon and I will take yours another day..

The abundance of snowbirds makes sure the demographics changes in most neighborhoods a couple of times a year! On my street their are a few families but none of the kids play together...kinda weird but that's the way it is. I do some tutoring and childcare so my son has the ability to socialize that way..plus he has friends from his old school and we do make an effort to have play dates ...we make them somewhere we'd like to be..often the beach or for a nice walk ect...works really well for me..I am not very sociable so I make the effort for the kid!

Nothing comes as easy as it was when it comes to kids playing! I wish I could be of more help in that area!

Old 04-15-2014, 07:46 PM

278 posts, read 459,667 times
Quote:
:

My son is actually attending FLVS this year...so all online. Typical day has changed greatly since the beginning of the year. At the start of the year I had to sit right next to him and do each lesson with him. Since I signed up for that no biggie..but now he is much more independent. He uses the laptop at the table and I keep my tablet handy..so here's how it kinda goes..

9:30am ish we start..
We usually start with math because he needs the least help with it and I don't dig mornings much! Takes anywhere from 20 min to an hour per lesson (I never let it exceed an hour or your just beating your head against a wall). After each lesson he takes a short break (away from electronics!)..we walk around the block for several of the breaks. Then we do the next lesson..whichever one we want and on and on until we are done for the day..we can be done as early as 1 or as late as 3. If for some reason you need a day switched around you can do school on saturday instead of monday....
We do school at Panera or another place at least once a week..and then another day at the library..
It is a bit of work..a huge time and energy commitment but for us it works!

If my son had separation anxiety I don't know that I would choose this option...the great thing about Florida is the abundance of charter, magnet, and private options available! Don't think of virtual is your only choice at all!

I was raised in the country and we were a bunch of wild children..coming in only to be fed and pushed (not that we were that reluctant) until the next meal or dark! I do wish my son had that kind of freedom and joy too but I haven't found that either. We do have to make an effort to be social and yes it does mean that I have very little alone time! However, setting up a barter system for play dates isn't a bad idea and if the kids are in school probably doable! You take mine this afternoon and I will take yours another day..

The abundance of snowbirds makes sure the demographics changes in most neighborhoods a couple of times a year! On my street their are a few families but none of the kids play together...kinda weird but that's the way it is. I do some tutoring and childcare so my son has the ability to socialize that way..plus he has friends from his old school and we do make an effort to have play dates ...we make them somewhere we'd like to be..often the beach or for a nice walk ect...works really well for me..I am not very sociable so I make the effort for the kid!

Nothing comes as easy as it was when it comes to kids playing! I wish I could be of more help in that area!
Why wouldn't choose virtual school if he had separation anxiety? Think it would make it worse?? I wonder about it because I wonder if it would better suit my family as far as me working nights and my hubby working days...if my kids were in school all day then I worked all night they'd never see me. Something to think about..as far as Charter, Magnet etc my kids are in a magnet school right now and they LOVE it, I just get nervous of if they aren't accepted in to those schools so they get stuck in a crapy one?? I don't know how it works down there. Good point on the ever changing people so hard to get lifelong friends,neighbors that way, makes sense...

Old 04-19-2014, 10:13 PM

17 posts, read 28,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuda1 View Post
Why wouldn't choose virtual school if he had separation anxiety? Think it would make it worse?? I wonder about it because I wonder if it would better suit my family as far as me working nights and my hubby working days...if my kids were in school all day then I worked all night they'd never see me. Something to think about..as far as Charter, Magnet etc my kids are in a magnet school right now and they LOVE it, I just get nervous of if they aren't accepted in to those schools so they get stuck in a crapy one?? I don't know how it works down there. Good point on the ever changing people so hard to get lifelong friends,neighbors that way, makes sense...
I would be afraid it would make it worse but that would be just my opinion based on our experiences! I would check in with his pediatrician. I do know that people homeschool but do coops, lessons ect so that the parents aren't the only one. I have worked nights a lot and it would kinda depend on your hours. When my son was going to public school I use to go in at 10pm and off at 6am..get the kid to school in the morning and sleep from 8:30am to 2pm ...get the kid..and do evening stuff. That actually worked nicely for us and the overnights were easier to get in a set schedule than day shifts somewhere.
I must say that the Charter that the kid got into was by lottery..and most of the others were either lottery or wait listed. You could get on wait lists but have all your ducks in a row for virtual just in case. I will be sending you my best thoughts and luck!

Old 05-26-2014, 11:52 AM

84 posts, read 135,080 times
Quote:
Before we moved (over two years ago) to this area I hounded these forums for information. I decided it was time I share my some of my opinions with you and they are just that..my opinions. Lots of facts available loads of places. I decided to share in a several posts...this post being why we picked this area. I think it would help to know from what perspective ... Myself, husband, son (11) and we moved both my parents down as well.

>>This area has good beach access..Honeymoon Island...Dunedin Causeway...Clearwater Beach..loads of beaches around..and just as important to us..free or very inexpensive beach access for both swimming and fishing. We prefer less crowded and calm water and you will find an abundance of that here.

>>Real trees too! Here their is still pine, oak, ect not just scruff ..and grass lawns if your after that. I liked the idea of having real trees but also all the tropical bits I like as well!

>>I liked the proximity to Disney (Disney fanatic!)..were close enough that we can go over to Downtown Disney without the necessity of a hotel..two hours each way. We can pop over for a day trip (which we plan to do this week!)..for the price of gas and maybe some Wolfgang Pucks

>>We also liked the area for all that it offered on a retired budget and what it offered for us not exactly well to do folks (we'll get to jobs/economics in another post). The Dunedin library is bitchen! Checkout DVDs, attend classes, join one of many clubs...scrabble or lego clubs...put together a puzzle in the library. Attend movies in the park for free, Farmers Market every weekend, attend Highland games, parades for any reason...truly you can be as social you'd like. We love the Farmer's Market and the parades!

>>Pinellas Trail is a very long (like several towns long) bike and walking trail. This trail is awesome and we use it to get around some but if I were a cyclist this would be perfect!

>>We found the perfect place for my parents in a lovely park that is amazingly perfect for them!

Okay I think that's it for this one...I intend to cover employment, education, housing and the bits that make it oh so Florida if anyone is interested?
I've followed your very informative posts about this area. We are strongly considering Clearwater. Do you actually live in Clearwater or Dunedin, and which would you recommend the most?

We are babyboomers. One retired, one still working and will continue to work after we move. We love the beach, little shops, library, good entertainment, but definitely aren't party animals. Love what you said about "real trees," etc. We recently relocated back to midwest after having lived in Bonita Springs for a couple of years. We would love to be able to have access to a quiet beach that offers either a yearly pass for parking, or free parking, since we go so often. Want a safe area. Any feedback appreciated! Thanks,

Old 05-26-2014, 01:26 PM

464 posts, read 551,714 times
You should try Gulfport, too. We moved to the Gulfport Historic Waterfront district and love it. The tree canopy here of live oaks and Spanish moss is amazing. We didn't know small towns like this even existed in Florida (and we'd been going to Sarasota and Bradenton for years, visiting relatives).

Morning and evening walks along the shore; we can walk to the water in 5 minutes, but City residents get free parking passes to a reserved parking area; the rest of the parking is always free to visitors, first come first served We walk to the library (small but efficient), rec center, fishing pier and 15+ good to excellent restaurants. I often walk at night alone (single female 60 y/o). Twice a month evening Art Walks and weekly Tuesday Fresh Market. There's almost always an event/festival in Gulfport. We are a restaurant and weekend destination for the Greater Tampa area.

We rented various houses in the walkable downtowns of Safety Harbor, Dunedin and Gulfport for two winter seasons before selecting Gulfport as our permanent home. I suggest you try out more than one spot and see which one floats your boat. We liked Dunedin and SH well enough, but Gulfport had the perfect vibe for us. YMMV.

Here are some articles about Gulfport:
Gulfport banks on remaining quaint (note: the author got the population wrong; it's 12,000 not 1,200)

Gulfport is Quirky, Quaint and Open to All (PHOTOS) | Visit Florida

Old 05-27-2014, 06:46 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,633,602 times
Take a look at Tamarac, you can drive to beach and park free at the Indian Shores parking spot right by bridge and walk to beach in the evening for sunset. Its an over 55 with houses, so not on top of one another and in a great safe spot, no flood ins, and grass is cut as part of HOA fee which is low.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:07 PM

105 posts, read 116,499 times
Default Neighborhoods

Quote:

Is their anything else I can specifically help you with?

jinia,

We are contemplating a move down there someday and I was wondering if you (or anyone reading this) can tell me the "bad" areas of Clearwater to stay clear of. I was searching on realtor dot com and seen one house on Starboard Way right next to the Pinellas Trail for under $60k! Yes, the house needs some updating and some work, but is the neighborhood that bad that the price is that low? Not having a clue, I would like to know what areas are worse than others. We prefer Clearwater but wouldn't mind Dunedin or Palm Harbor. If this has been addressed on another thread, I apologize.

Thanks!

Old 05-31-2014, 08:42 AM

16 posts, read 19,127 times
We are also looking into this area & was wondering which areas to steer clear of in Dunedin & Safety Harbor. What is the insurance like in these areas being so close the beach?

Old 05-31-2014, 11:23 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,562,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMW67 View Post
We are also looking into this area & was wondering which areas to steer clear of in Dunedin & Safety Harbor. What is the insurance like in these areas being so close the beach?
I'm not sure about the bad parts of Dunedin, but Safety Harbor does have some pockets of sketchiness here and there near the railroad tracks that run through the downtown area. I'm not sure how bad the crime is there, but some of the homes and rental properties there look really bad. Still, I see kids and adults walking and biking all over the place around there, so it may not be all that bad.

As far as insurance goes, we live in a neighborhood right across the street from Tampa Bay and pay about a couple grand each year for insurance. Flood insurance where we are is not necessary. Safety Harbor is kind of a "bluff" city, so the land rises pretty quickly from the Bay to our neighborhood. Your best bet is to contact an insurance company and get some quotes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or