U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 11:30 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,561,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviefan View Post
jinia,

We are contemplating a move down there someday and I was wondering if you (or anyone reading this) can tell me the "bad" areas of Clearwater to stay clear of. I was searching on realtor dot com and seen one house on Starboard Way right next to the Pinellas Trail for under $60k! Yes, the house needs some updating and some work, but is the neighborhood that bad that the price is that low? Not having a clue, I would like to know what areas are worse than others. We prefer Clearwater but wouldn't mind Dunedin or Palm Harbor. If this has been addressed on another thread, I apologize.

Thanks!
I'm not jinia, but I may be able to help. As a general rule, the areas near Downtown Clearwater can be pretty bad. Granted, there are some pockets of really beautiful homes down there, too. We have family who live around Belcher and Gulf to Bay, near where they are putting in a Wal-Mart and new apartments. That area has gone pretty far downhill in recent years. They have a lot of problems with delinquent kids in the area now. The areas near the Pinellas Trail can be pretty rough, which is probably why you are seeing the low prices.

A better bet for you would be Palm Harbor, Dunedin, Safety Harbor, or possibly Countryside - the northern end of the county would probably be a safer bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 12:22 PM

8,704 posts, read 9,327,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
I'm not jinia, but I may be able to help. As a general rule, the areas near Downtown Clearwater can be pretty bad. Granted, there are some pockets of really beautiful homes down there, too. We have family who live around Belcher and Gulf to Bay, near where they are putting in a Wal-Mart and new apartments. That area has gone pretty far downhill in recent years. They have a lot of problems with delinquent kids in the area now. The areas near the Pinellas Trail can be pretty rough, which is probably why you are seeing the low prices.

A better bet for you would be Palm Harbor, Dunedin, Safety Harbor, or possibly Countryside - the northern end of the county would probably be a safer bet.
This is the best advice to be offered.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:50 PM

16 posts, read 19,119 times
Thanks Floridagirl!

Old 09-17-2014, 08:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,373 times
I am a 46 year old, gay, female, hoping to relocate to Florida. Dunedin was suggested to me by a friend of a friend. I have never been there. Will I fit in there given my age? Being gay? I am leaving Atlanta because of the horrible traffic!!!! I do not want a bad commute. How is the job market in and around Dunedin? How long does it take to commute to St. Pete and Tampa? I am looking for a cool little town with plenty to do but still laid back and relaxing. Is Dunedin the place for me?

Old 02-16-2015, 11:10 PM

17 posts, read 16,840 times
I am relocating to Florida by July and I have narrowed my search down to the Dunedin/Clearwater area. I really would prefer to be as close as possible to Dunedin as I fell in love with that town. I'm from a town in northern Minnesota that has a population of under 12,000. I decided to give Colorado Springs a try since I have family here but it is WAY too big for me (500,000). I want the small town feel but I don't want to go back to that cold( I don't want any snow either). It is warmer for the most part here in the Springs but I just don't like it here. I am fortunate enough to have a job that let's me transfer so I'm going to give the sunshine state a try. There are just a few things I want to know:

1. Does anyone know of a reputable rental or property management company? Would you recommend just calling the chamber of commerce to find out if these people exist once I find out which company is renting which house? I have to do all of this long distance as its not possible for me to travel right now. I was going to look into apartments but I already have 2 cats and I want to get a dog as I miss mine so much. That is why I'm looking at renting a house.

2. I basically started over once I got to Colorado with furniture so I am wondering about good used furniture stores. I'm trying to decide if I should sell the furniture I bought so far or rent a u haul to move. I only have a love seat, a futon (a good quality one), a nice seating bench, and a bedroom set, otherwise I moved everything else in my car.

3. Neighborhoods. Is there any bad areas to stay away from? I read in another forum that you really can't find any bad areas in Clearwater so if I can't find anything in Dunedin, I would still be OK on the edges of CW close to Dunedin?

Thank you in advance for any advice you provide for me. I appreciate all the help I can get. I'm not afraid to start all over again regarding furniture. Since I'm single it would be easier to just buy once I get there but I'm just wondering if it's more economical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or