U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 01:23 PM

17 posts, read 28,515 times

Advertisements

Before we moved (over two years ago) to this area I hounded these forums for information. I decided it was time I share my some of my opinions with you and they are just that..my opinions. Lots of facts available loads of places. I decided to share in a several posts...this post being why we picked this area. I think it would help to know from what perspective ... Myself, husband, son (11) and we moved both my parents down as well.

>>This area has good beach access..Honeymoon Island...Dunedin Causeway...Clearwater Beach..loads of beaches around..and just as important to us..free or very inexpensive beach access for both swimming and fishing. We prefer less crowded and calm water and you will find an abundance of that here.

>>Real trees too! Here their is still pine, oak, ect not just scruff ..and grass lawns if your after that. I liked the idea of having real trees but also all the tropical bits I like as well!

>>I liked the proximity to Disney (Disney fanatic!)..were close enough that we can go over to Downtown Disney without the necessity of a hotel..two hours each way. We can pop over for a day trip (which we plan to do this week!)..for the price of gas and maybe some Wolfgang Pucks

>>We also liked the area for all that it offered on a retired budget and what it offered for us not exactly well to do folks (we'll get to jobs/economics in another post). The Dunedin library is bitchen! Checkout DVDs, attend classes, join one of many clubs...scrabble or lego clubs...put together a puzzle in the library. Attend movies in the park for free, Farmers Market every weekend, attend Highland games, parades for any reason...truly you can be as social you'd like. We love the Farmer's Market and the parades!

>>Pinellas Trail is a very long (like several towns long) bike and walking trail. This trail is awesome and we use it to get around some but if I were a cyclist this would be perfect!

>>We found the perfect place for my parents in a lovely park that is amazingly perfect for them!

Okay I think that's it for this one...I intend to cover employment, education, housing and the bits that make it oh so Florida if anyone is interested?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 01:39 PM

8,704 posts, read 9,416,863 times
Nice post. Glad to have you here, enjoying all that is Florida.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:43 PM

6,073 posts, read 5,614,471 times
That's great that you were able to put your parents into a park instead of a condo, apartment, mobile home, house, or other arrangement that they would have to pay for. But don't the deputies harass them?

Kidding. Welcome to paradise.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
That's great that you were able to put your parents into a park instead of a condo, apartment, mobile home, house, or other arrangement that they would have to pay for. But don't the deputies harass them?

Kidding. Welcome to paradise.
omg..hilarious! Yes, the terminology isn't so great.."I put them their"? not cool They are in a lovely Mobile Home park with four pools..shuffle board..lawn care included..do I sound jealous? I just might be

PriusH8r Thanks and I am enjoying it!

I totally forgot to mention the weather here...

>>We seem to be in a sweet spot..real temp rarely, if ever, gets over 96, which is cooler than Missouri (where we moved from) for most of the summer, especially when you add in the heat index! It gets cold in the winter but hardly ever frosts. Since we are coastal we can count on catching any breeze their just might be!

Okay, enough right!?

Old 03-28-2014, 04:30 PM

2,727 posts, read 4,621,998 times
Thank you for posting your experience. This is great for those who want to relocate. I am happy that you are enjoying where you are. I like Dunedin too . We can't wait to read your other promised topics.

Good luck!

Old 04-01-2014, 09:53 AM

4 posts, read 7,316 times
Wow! Thanks for this post! I have been researching areas of Florida for almost 2 years now, and I am thinking Clearwater sounds perfect for us. Please keep posting your experience. Our house is up for sale and we are just waiting on our kids to get out for the summer...hoping THIS summer is going to be OUR summer to move! I have had most of my house packed up for a good part of a year now!

Old 04-01-2014, 01:06 PM

Hey batwoodRN! I have another post about Education here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...education.html

My sister is an RN and moving to this area as well...the healthcare at Mease Hospital is wonderful! We have had way too much experience with both my parents in Dunedin Mease Hospital and I can't possibly say enough good things about it! I will have more posts (for what its worth) coming up!

Old 04-01-2014, 05:42 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,466,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batwoodRN View Post
Wow! Thanks for this post! I have been researching areas of Florida for almost 2 years now, and I am thinking Clearwater sounds perfect for us. Please keep posting your experience. Our house is up for sale and we are just waiting on our kids to get out for the summer...hoping THIS summer is going to be OUR summer to move! I have had most of my house packed up for a good part of a year now!
We are Dunedin winter residents, for three years now, and love it. As for Clearwater, it's a big place, shaped like a big backwards "L". There are different zones, some of which are directly east of Dunedin. So you have to do your research, since the different areas are very diverse in character.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:26 PM

293 posts, read 468,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinia View Post
omg..hilarious! Yes, the terminology isn't so great.."I put them their"? not cool They are in a lovely Mobile Home park with four pools..shuffle board..lawn care included..do I sound jealous? I just might be

PriusH8r Thanks and I am enjoying it!

I totally forgot to mention the weather here...

>>We seem to be in a sweet spot..real temp rarely, if ever, gets over 96, which is cooler than Missouri (where we moved from) for most of the summer, especially when you add in the heat index! It gets cold in the winter but hardly ever frosts. Since we are coastal we can count on catching any breeze their just might be!

Okay, enough right!?
What would you say for raising young children ages 6-9? Family friendly?? Commute to major highways, easy??

Old 04-03-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuda1 View Post
What would you say for raising young children ages 6-9? Family friendly?? Commute to major highways, easy??
My son is 11 and was 9 when we arrived...I did a quick post on Education here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...education.html

Public schools here..more bad than good. If you are moving to Pinellas county let me know and I will tell you the best charter school ever! Their are a many alternatives to the public school and they will most likely be your best bet depending on the area.
It is very family friendly in a lot of ways...biking/hiking trails..loads of playgrounds ect..Depends on the specific area but this is a very dog friendly area.
Oh my..hate to say this again but the commute depends on where you live..the commute from Dunedin is nothing less than an exercise in futility..If you need to take 19 or alt 19 anywhere it will be a bit nightmarish. I work from home and my husband works somewhere he doesn't need to take a hwy .. on purpose. We chose this area for many reasons but the commute/traffic is not one of them!

A word on neighborhoods (as said by Wwanderer)..this is a bit of an odd duck thing but..I live in a duplex with the water (the bay not the good stuff but I will take it!) at the end of the road...lots of huge nice houses all around. It isn't a spot where you think police will be answering a call every night..but two streets over it is pretty rough..you really can't state that a neighborhood is bad or good..it's dang near street by street. If you find something you like..drive around.. a lot...then do it again at 11pmish. I now this sounds overly dramatic but it isn't.

Is their anything else I can specifically help you with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or