Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 08:59 AM

518 posts, read 1,231,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
These posts are interesting to read and meanwhile lots of people make money buying homes over there...I wonder why the sheriffs website is not more reflecting all the claims made on this forum by the few who always trash any post about the area...always the same people showing up to trash it and who are the ones who lost money during the housing down turn

The one poster stating his moms stuff was stolen added that it was done by her bf so not the best choice of friends...

The OP should judge by facts and not some unknown people who don't have to disclose who they are. As a broker I have disclose my profession on this forum...others can just bash and entire area.

Why isn't there more vacancies if that area is so bad....I call it biased and not based on facts
I said her boyfriend had his items stolen from there house in this area. True to a realtor form not telling the truth about an area. Do you live there. No. Just because you can sell an area over and over to people doesn't make it a good area. Most of the time it is all they can afford. But I still wouldn't own there either way. I can tell you I don't make a dime for telling about an area where a realtor does. Who would you want to believe. Good luck in the area and you will have to use a realtor most likely coming and going when you want to leave. They love that. Nobody calls the cops due to the fact that they will come after you later after there gone. By the way they did find his car a month later still in half way decent shape to drive. Joy riders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 09:08 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Sorry, the other posters are right. You are a real estate agent. Enough said.
Just out to make a buck and clueless. Gets old seeing the same few painting a pretty pic of a crime filled area and most of the regs here got their number.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
Just out to make a buck and clueless. Gets old seeing the same few painting a pretty pic of a crime filled area and most of the regs here got their number.
Isn't that the truth.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:07 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,377,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
These posts are interesting to read and meanwhile lots of people make money buying homes over there...I wonder why the sheriffs website is not more reflecting all the claims made on this forum by the few who always trash any post about the area...always the same people showing up to trash it and who are the ones who lost money during the housing down turn

The one poster stating his moms stuff was stolen added that it was done by her bf so not the best choice of friends...

The OP should judge by facts and not some unknown people who don't have to disclose who they are. As a broker I have disclose my profession on this forum...others can just bash and entire area.

Why isn't there more vacancies if that area is so bad....I call it biased and not based on facts
I would gladly drive through the neighborhood I describe with you and allow you to see the condition of the homes so that you can judge for yourself.

Just because they're occupied doesn't mean they're nice or the people in them are wholesome, law abiding citizens. I used the term "white trash", which I don't like, to describe the demographic, and I feel quite comfortable doing so.

I have no interest in my inlaw's home nor does it matter to me if they lose money when the day comes to sell it. It will be a good day, as the area is a total dump around them and continues to decline. I can state this as fact having observed it closely since 1992.

There may not be a lot of crime reports for their neighborhood, but I can assure you that if you attempted to live there and had nice things the potential for burglary, theft or vandalism would be far higher than in a better area close to there, such as Trinity, for example. They hear reports from their neighbors about break ins and petty theft on a regular basis. I know for a fact that several of these went unreported due to the expectation that doing so would accomplish nothing.

RM

Old 04-06-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I would gladly drive through the neighborhood I describe with you and allow you to see the condition of the homes so that you can judge for yourself.

Just because they're occupied doesn't mean they're nice or the people in them are wholesome, law abiding citizens. I used the term "white trash", which I don't like, to describe the demographic, and I feel quite comfortable doing so.

I have no interest in my inlaw's home nor does it matter to me if they lose money when the day comes to sell it. It will be a good day, as the area is a total dump around them and continues to decline. I can state this as fact having observed it closely since 1992.

There may not be a lot of crime reports for their neighborhood, but I can assure you that if you attempted to live there and had nice things the potential for burglary, theft or vandalism would be far higher than in a better area close to there, such as Trinity, for example. They hear reports from their neighbors about break ins and petty theft on a regular basis. I know for a fact that several of these went unreported due to the expectation that doing so would accomplish nothing.

RM
The same for Westport in Portirchey, total dump with white trash renters.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:13 AM

156 posts, read 486,123 times
Have to agree with the other posters. Holiday has a reputation for being a drug and crime infested dump and has for some time now. I wouldn't recommend anybody moving there and certainly not buying a home there. At least not if I liked them and cared for their quality of life, that is.

NPR/Port Richey are pretty much the same situation. Housing is so cheap there for a very good reason.

I don't live in the area anymore but I still have a couple of friends in the area - they are decent people who have lived there for a while and unfortunately are stuck there for a bit longer due to economic reasons but desperate to get out as soon as they can. They have been the victims of a number of petty crimes...people stealing things probably to see to pay for Oxycontin or whatever their pill of choice is.

If you must live somewhere in West Pasco, look into Trinity. Otherwise, I'd recommend looking elsewhere.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:28 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,333,337 times
Have never been through Holiday but will make a point to explore it some day. I have been to Tarpon Springs, recently even, and I like that town a lot. Also I've been to the Chasco parade in New Port Richey, drove around a bit, particularly around that waterway there, and liked that area too. The parade I thought was fantastic. We've had a lot of fun there.

Looking quickly at the Pasco Co Sherriff's crime map https://www.crimereports.com/agency/pascoCSO for the latest month, it looks like the most incidents of that area occur up in Port Richey, with most of the incidents of Holiday occurring around and east of 19. West of 19 doesn't look too bad on that map, but, again, I'm not familiar so am only going by that.

I don't see immediately long-term stats for that area (maybe it is not incorporated? or not with it's own police force), but probably it could be broken out by zip or some other way, to maybe judge objectively any discernible trends. The FBI or county Sheriff might have those numbers available.

I understand the reporting and concern of personal information of watching an area decline, but also keep in mind that some areas which decline, particularly when the general trend is population growth, might very well come back some day. The case might be more dire were general population decreasing. I've owned in such areas of south Florida and wound up selling well even though housing had already crashed. So if an areas seems declining in character but population is growing, that might be an opportunity to buy in cheaply and it could put you in good finances later in life, assuming the area is not too terrible to live there comfortably, of course.

I don't believe that the stats would be off base much by people not reporting crime. And even if somewhat so, then that would likely be just as true for any other area, so relative to each other, the stats still tell a fairly reliable story in most cases.

Out of curiosity in reading a poster's mention of the character of residents there, I thought to look up stats on sex offenders, often more a concern for parents of school-aged children and while the stats seem to agree somewhat with that poster, I did find something I wasn't expecting to find about much-touted Wesley Chapel so thought I'd post what I just looked at for comparisons.....

So as many sex offenders as there are in Holiday (a rather high 1 for every 353 residents), supposedly child-safe Wesley Chapel has nearly twice as many (1 for every 198 residents), yet that's where so many city-data posters direct families with kids.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiege1224 View Post
I said her boyfriend had his items stolen from there house in this area. True to a realtor form not telling the truth about an area. Do you live there. No. Just because you can sell an area over and over to people doesn't make it a good area. Most of the time it is all they can afford. But I still wouldn't own there either way. I can tell you I don't make a dime for telling about an area where a realtor does. Who would you want to believe. Good luck in the area and you will have to use a realtor most likely coming and going when you want to leave. They love that. Nobody calls the cops due to the fact that they will come after you later after there gone. By the way they did find his car a month later still in half way decent shape to drive. Joy riders.
I also didn't loose any money I made a ton. Not like most of the realtors in Florida that believed there own BS and went broke holding things to long.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:03 AM

Quote:
I also didn't loose any money I made a ton. Not like most of the realtors in Florida that believed there own BS and went broke holding things to long.
It, she or he was talking about me. I did good also flipping the smaller homes, but lost out on a biggger home on the gulf as i waited too late in 07 when things hit the rocks. I still came out way ahead even with the 400k loss on that one house.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:09 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Me neither. We made most of our money in real estate and most people who lost money did that with other peoples money and not having a dime and zero down.

It is basic accounting that if you don't have money you can't invest since you don't have a dime if anything breaks down or if something doesn't go as expected...no safety net and when banks gave these people money they were all so happy and the banks were the hero's but when these people lost money it was the evil banks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay