Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 11:39 AM

4 posts, read 7,258 times

Advertisements

So, I have a pretty unique situation. Born in Chicago, moved to River Hills, Valrico about 9 years ago... Moved back to Chicago for all the reasons that people leave FL about 7 years ago... Now after one of the worst winters ever, my family and I are regretting the decision. Have the opportunity to move back... I work from home so being near any particular workplace is not a factor. Biggest factor is being in a great community with kids, my kids are 10 and 5, and want them to experience all that FL has to offer, but be in great schools, with a good community neighborhood. Thinking of Fish Hawk, but don't want to be blinded by all the hype. It was a cool place when I lived in River Hills, but haven't been back in a while. Then I look at Palm Harbor by the water, and how nice that could be... Anyways, looking for suggestions for good neighborhoods, from Palm Harbor to Fish Hawk, even down to LakeWood Ranch. Price of home has to be about 450k. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 07:38 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,802,401 times
If location (being close to downtown for example) is not the factor, I would go with Fish Hawk hands down!

Old 04-09-2014, 01:16 AM

237 posts, read 391,871 times
A drive through terra Bella on SR54 would be worth a look, I personally think the Westbay section is one of the nicest residential areas in Tampa Bay. At your price range skip DR Horton and go to Westbay I know they almost are sold out of lots last I talked to them there were about 10 lots left.

Khovnanian is about to begin building similar high end homes.

There are many other nice areas along SR54 from trinity through Land O'Lakes to Wesley Chapel / New Tampa.

The area is growing well and good links down to Tampa / Pinellas if you love over by Veterans Expressway.

Good luck!

Old 04-09-2014, 06:44 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,462,030 times
What is the draw for many to FishHawk Ranch? I understand it is nice, but there are so, so many other options out there. I just wonder why FishHawk has the pull that it does? The comments in here regarding the social ladder there, the HOA, and even the CDD makes me wonder why over and over.

You have Waterset and Panther Trace if you want to live in that area that people don't seem to bash as much.

Dystopian said it best. On the Northside here Terra Bella is extremely nice, but it doesn't stop there. Wellington Manor of Neuberger Road, Standard Pacific off Livingston is coming along slowly but it's nice, and of course Seven Oaks in Wesley Chapel just to name a few.

The area over by Seven Oaks is blowing up with growth. New College, New Sports Complex, New Hospital, etc... It is going to make it so the opportunities up this way make it unnecessary to go South to the City!!!

Old 04-09-2014, 06:52 AM

Are you seriously comparing Terra Bella with FishHawk? Besides much better schools in FishHawk you also getting much better neighborhood with better amenities and cheaper combination of CDD+HOA. Is Terra Bella a nice place to raise kids having no playground and years of construction ahead, so God knows how save it is for kids to be outside? Come one people. I can agree on comparison of Seven Oaks with FishHawk, but to Terra Bella... it's like comparing oranges to apples.

Going to Wesley Chapel area might seems like a great idea with all this development coming up, but traffic will be a deal breaker VERY soon, so this argument about elevated road by SR 54 is something this area will need sooner or later.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:25 AM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Are you seriously comparing Terra Bella with FishHawk? Besides much better schools in FishHawk you also getting much better neighborhood with better amenities and cheaper combination of CDD+HOA. Is Terra Bella a nice place to raise kids having no playground and years of construction ahead, so God knows how save it is for kids to be outside? Come one people. I can agree on comparison of Seven Oaks with FishHawk, but to Terra Bella... it's like comparing oranges to apples.

Going to Wesley Chapel area might seems like a great idea with all this development coming up, but traffic will be a deal breaker VERY soon, so this argument about elevated road by SR 54 is something this area will need sooner or later.
I agree with this. Think about Panther Trace and Riverview, 9 years ago the area was booming with construction, a mall was supposed to go up, the bubble bust and prices dropped by as much as 60%, think about what that does, you buy in at 400k hoping everyone in your neighborhood will be in that range socioeconomically, then you have this influx of people buying at 100k-150k even if the prices rebound its never going to be what you thought you were buying into, sure some people will sell some will get squeezed by higher property taxes how long does that take, I get the risk/reward factor of buying into something thats seemingly booming, but I rather buy into something established like Fishawk, Westchase, South Tampa, of course if you can afford it.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:09 AM

4 posts, read 7,258 times
I appreciate all the info, I am really leaning towards Fishhawk... I like the established community, and even through the bubble popped, i don't think that I am going to buy a 400k house surrounded by people that bought in at 150... The New Tampa area keeps me as far away from the water as i would be in Fishhawk. A perfect option would be to be on the water in a fishhawk community, but i guess i have to pick and choose what is best... And that is a good established community for the kids, and Fishhawk seems to fit that bill.

JPayes1 - i am in Naperville.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:26 AM

16 posts, read 16,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity13 View Post
I appreciate all the info, I am really leaning towards Fishhawk... I like the established community, and even through the bubble popped, i don't think that I am going to buy a 400k house surrounded by people that bought in at 150... The New Tampa area keeps me as far away from the water as i would be in Fishhawk. A perfect option would be to be on the water in a fishhawk community, but i guess i have to pick and choose what is best... And that is a good established community for the kids, and Fishhawk seems to fit that bill.

Windy does it have the same Naperville feel to it? We live in Lincoln Square, northside of the city and well my wife is done and over Chicago (she wasn't born here). We are almost in the same boat as you but never lived there. Have had the privilege of having a Client have an Aunt who is Realtor in Tampa and reached out and has consistently sending us properties in the neighborhoods who mentioned above. As I stated we will be in all next week to feel it out. Hope you get what your looking for.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity13 View Post

I think you misunderstood DUNNDFRNT. When he was talking about 400K houses that were purchased during last peak and were resold way cheaper, he was talking about other than FishHawk communities. You are not going to see this in FishHawk.
I think you are making a right choice.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:17 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,462,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post

You continue to amaze me by reading into my (and others) posts. Do you sit at home and look for a way to distort a post?

Did I compare Fish Hawk to Terra Bella? NOPE. I asked a question and was hoping for some feedback on the draw to Fish Hawk. Simple as that.

I have repeatedly ask you refrain from commenting on my posts for well over a year now. You add nothing constructive and until you do, please just don't comment on anything I post. Thank You
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay