U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 11:45 PM

10 posts, read 12,885 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. I was wondering if you could help me out with a little bit of advice. I have been admitted into the MBA program at USF Tampa. Many other users on this thread have cautioned against the job market in Tampa. I have also read that it is a place mostly for retired folks and does not fair well with young workers that are just out of Grad school (because I read that it mostly offers low paying non-professional hourly wage jobs opposed to yearly salary jobs). I am a bit worried about accepting this offer now. If I was able to graduate with high standings in the MBA program @ USF, would it be very difficult to find a decent job in the Financial Sector after graduation in Tampa? Florida in general? How is the school recognized in terms of getting a job offer from a local firm? and how does it fair in terms of moving on to find a job elsewhere (in case florida is a bad option for job offers after grad school). I hope to find a decent paying job locally after I graduate the MBA program ideally. If the job market for people who are studying in the Financial/Investment area are as bad as I seem to read in Tampa, the return on investment for Grad school @ USF would be terrible for me and I would have to consider other schools - although I truly seem to love Tampa and its people. Also, is it a bad place for a 26 year old male in general? What are your opinions? I hear that the Soho and Ybor city area are very fun and the nightlife is great. Is it a bad area to live for singles? The answers I read were outdated. Recent information would be very helpful Thanks ahead of time for your consideration and help!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 08:03 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,155,447 times
If you read this Forum the job market is consistently bashed here regarding low paying, entry level jobs. I can tell you that is not the case. T. Rowe Price is building there financial center right here in Land O Lakes. If you look at the big picture Florida is one of the top, if not the top place people are moving to (and everyone is not retired!), Amazon is opening a major complex, and I could go on and on.

What you find a lot of in this forum is people that are negative. Not sure why as this place is great for information, but the negativity and condescending tone many take is a testament to why they missed the boat not the opportunities available here.

Will you get a good job? Who knows. You may be 4.0 student but you don't interview well. Maybe you come across as someone that is above an entry level position. Maybe you interview exceptionally well and walk out of USF making 80K per year to start.

What you are asking for, nobody call tell you honestly with any accuracy. We are a smaller metropolitan city, but we are growing and the opportunities are out there.

I did read a couple years ago well into the recession that there were many people with MBA's looking for work. Not sure where that stands now. My wife earned hers and was hired just a bit below 6 figures while she was in school by one of her instructors, and she didn't go to USF. Lifetime educators don't have the connections to the Business World that some others options do here.

That said, GOOD LUCK. If you don't walk out of College with a great local job offer, you have an MBA that can open a lot of doors elsewhere.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:53 AM

23,026 posts, read 34,286,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
If you read this Forum the job market is consistently bashed here regarding low paying, entry level jobs. I can tell you that is not the case.
The Tampa Bay MSA has a median household income of 37K, that ranks #156 of US metro areas. That would most evidently appear to be the case.

Highest-income metropolitan statistical areas in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-10-2014, 10:04 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Would be nice to hear from someone who has recently gotten an MBA in the Florida area who can tell us how their experience was like. Still leaves me in a bit of question...

Old 04-13-2014, 05:38 PM

How is the culture and demographics like in the tampa area? I personally enjoy culturally diverse areas. My friends have told me there is a high concentration of latino/hispanic people there. Is that true? Just trying to figure a little bit about the people of where I am going to be living!

Old 04-14-2014, 09:14 PM

173 posts, read 355,207 times
Default Gratuitous plug for moving statistics..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm1002 View Post
How is the culture and demographics like in the tampa area? I personally enjoy culturally diverse areas. My friends have told me there is a high concentration of latino/hispanic people there. Is that true? Just trying to figure a little bit about the people of where I am going to be living!
One of my favorite features of city-data is the statistics. If you type a zip code into any search engine, you'll get a city-data site with stats about that zip code.

Some info includes: age, sex, and home values, # of homes, types of homes, # of bedrooms, bathrooms, etc.

You can see how ethnically diverse an area is. --and there are interactive maps. Compare to where you live now... Realize that an area can be very different from a neighborhood just a few miles away.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:19 PM

5,687 posts, read 5,837,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairegoad View Post
One of my favorite features of city-data is the statistics. If you type a zip code into any search engine, you'll get a city-data site with stats about that zip code.

Some info includes: age, sex, and home values, # of homes, types of homes, # of bedrooms, bathrooms, etc.

You can see how ethnically diverse an area is. --and there are interactive maps. Compare to where you live now... Realize that an area can be very different from a neighborhood just a few miles away.
And sometime very different from a neighborhood a few blocks over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: