Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,778 times

Advertisements

Considering moving from PA to FL, most likely somewhere between New Port Richey, Clearwater and Ft. Myers on the Gulf Coast. How far inland can I go before I lose the benefit of living on the coast in any of these areas ? Before I lose any gulf breeze,

Last edited by mfoley52; 04-16-2014 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: adding info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 11:15 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,989,613 times
Usually it's a little bit east of the I75 corridor.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:14 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,317,925 times
In Southern California the coastal area has a perfect climate and the inland area is scorching hot. Florida is nothing like that. There is little difference in climate as you go inland in Florida.

The main variation is that the winter temps vary hugely between the northern and the southern ends of the state. That's why Jacksonville and the panhandle aren't heavily populated: they get the awful long hot muggy summer but also some coldish weather in the winter. Miami, Ft. Myers, etc. have very mild winters.

Last edited by roadtrip75; 04-16-2014 at 12:22 PM..

Old 04-16-2014, 02:49 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,099,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
In Southern California the coastal area has a perfect climate and the inland area is scorching hot. Florida is nothing like that. There is little difference in climate as you go inland in Florida.

The main variation is that the winter temps vary hugely between the northern and the southern ends of the state. That's why Jacksonville and the panhandle aren't heavily populated: they get the awful long hot muggy summer but also some coldish weather in the winter. Miami, Ft. Myers, etc. have very mild winters.
I have to disagree with this post.

I *always* find Orlando/Lakeland much warmer than Tampa or other coastal areas. It almost reminds of me of South Carolina summers when I have to spend time in Orlando on business...so hot, no breeze, no relief.

Mentioned this recently in another thread.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:52 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Gulf breezes are highly over rated, its akin to turning a small fan on in a sauna bath.
If gulf breezes are what you are after it wont come cheap as you'll have to live right on the water, if there are any breezes at all its within a block of the beach and those highrise hotels are an effective dam to any breezes that do exist.If you plan to rely on Gulf breezes to cool you down i think you are going to be disappointed.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:00 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,099,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Gulf breezes are highly over rated, its akin to turning a small fan on in a sauna bath.
If gulf breezes are what you are after it wont come cheap as you'll have to live right on the water, if there are any breezes at all its within a block of the beach and those highrise hotels are an effective dam to any breezes that do exist.If you plan to rely on Gulf breezes to cool you down i think you are going to be disappointed.
Again, I disagree with this. A sea breeze can penetrate inland anywhere from 20-25 miles depending on geography...and in Florida, it can make a big difference with our flat landscape.

We are talking about an actual sea breeze front that changes temperature over a large area...not a little gust of wind while you are sitting on the beach to cool you off.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:06 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfoley52 View Post
Considering moving from PA to FL, most likely somewhere between New Port Richey, Clearwater and Ft. Myers on the Gulf Coast. How far inland can I go before I lose the benefit of living on the coast in any of these areas ? Before I lose any gulf breeze,
About 20 feet. :-)) No only kidding. I do agree that it is cooler along the coasts compared to inland.
I lived in Orlando for a while and it gets pretty jungle like in the summer. Unbearable, no. Uncomfortable, yes. Here on the west coast it feels significantly less humid.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:46 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Depends on where the axis of high pressure is. At least in the middle of the state you will get a better chance of rain in the summer thanks to us being in a reverse west windflow. My area goes dry for weeks thanks to a reverse west windflow, while people 12 or more miles to my east will see 10 times the rain i get as T- storms build up east of my house and move toward the east coast. Temps will avg 2 to 5 degrees hotter on the norm wth summer time highs.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:50 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfoley52 View Post
We live 3.5 miles inland and the gulf seabreeze reaches us with ease and really makes it feel cooler than without it. It also brings us some great rains and thunderstorms, just like it did the other day. We love the gulf seabreeze.

The atlantic seabreeze can make it all the way over to this coast. They can pick it up on radar. When the two collide we can get some doozies of thunderstorms. Great for a weather watcher and fan like myself. They blow up around I-75 and then move west to the coast.

We shut off our irrigation system during the summer as we get so much rain at and near the coast.

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 04-16-2014 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: Added Atlantic Part

Old 04-17-2014, 12:56 AM

161 posts, read 273,604 times
Look at the weather forecasts. It is usually a bit warmer in Orlando than Tampa. I usually see perhaps 4 degrees or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay