Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 09:09 AM

14 posts, read 17,469 times

Advertisements

Hi folk's,
Currently my fiance and I are 30, no kids and live in New York. I currently work full time as a cop and go to law school at night. The plan is to retire early from work and go full time to law school on a transfer to Stetson Law. The fiance should have a job available with her current company in downtown St Petersburg. We are thinking of South St petersburg.
We are looking to move this summer (short notice) and as most people we are looking for a diverse, safe community. We want to be close to Stetson law and downtown St. Petersburg. We prefer a gated community on a rental, where we would spend about 900 a month, close enough to civilization lol. On the water would be awesome.
I have family in the Sarasota/ Bradenton area and have been going to visit since I was born.

Any suggestions? thanks!

Last edited by Pseg24; 04-19-2014 at 09:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 09:19 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseg24 View Post
Hi folk's,
Currently my fiance and I are 30, no kids and live in New York. I currently work full time as a cop and go to law school at night. The plan is to retire early from work and go full time to law school on a transfer to Stetson Law. The fiance should have a job available with her current company in downtown St Petersburg.
We are looking to move this summer (short notice) and as most people we are looking for a diverse, safe community. We want to be close to Stetson law and downtown St. Petersburg. We prefer a gated community on a rental, where we would spend about 900 a month, close enough to civilization lol. On the water would be awesome.
I have family in the Sarasota/ Bradenton area and have been going to visit since I was born.

Any suggestions? thanks!

Do as many of your brothers have done. Retire NYPD come on down and join the sheriff's office in your county of choice, do your time and have a wondeful retirement. The legal beagle field isn't what it used to be. There are a whole lot of JD's working as paralegals.

From what I read here there are some really nice parts of St. Pete. I am sure they will tell you what you need to know. Good luck.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:50 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,165,263 times
Quote:
Hi folk's,
Currently my fiance and I are 30, no kids and live in New York. I currently work full time as a cop and go to law school at night. The plan is to retire early from work and go full time to law school on a transfer to Stetson Law. The fiance should have a job available with her current company in downtown St Petersburg. We are thinking of South St petersburg.

Any suggestions? thanks!
Please post back or dm if you find -----water / downtown ST Pete rentals for 900. Thanks.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:15 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,930 times
Red = I DON'T recommend... especially south st. pete
Green = Acceptable
Blue = Mostly Recommended

[IMG][/IMG]

Of course others will have their own opinions regarding what I selected. I lived directly in this area and have biked all of these streets.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:25 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Hi folk's,

Any suggestions? thanks!

You don't retire at 30 from a job. You mean quit your job and move. Have family in the police dept in NY and the soonest anyone sees a pension is after several years(earliest would be mid 40s), unless they're injured on the job.

You're asking a lot for not much money. Moving to FL isn't going to cut your expenses in half. Sounds like staying on the job up there and finishing law school part time would be a better plan.

JMO.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:21 AM

If he went on the job at age 19, and he has his 20 years in and is eligible for a pension. That would be age 39.

Why finish law school? There are 10s of thousands of JD's that cant find a job in their field. Then he is out of work and deep in debt for the education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You don't retire at 30 from a job. You mean quit your job and move. Have family in the police dept in NY and the soonest anyone sees a pension is after several years(earliest would be mid 40s), unless they're injured on the job.

You're asking a lot for not much money. Moving to FL isn't going to cut your expenses in half. Sounds like staying on the job up there and finishing law school part time would be a better plan.

JMO.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:50 PM

33 posts, read 121,435 times
We are in a similar situation! Good luck to you guys!

Since you are transferring to Stetson, check out Gulfport and Pasadena. You can find affordable options, and you could basically walk or bike to Stetson while still being only a short drive to St. Pete for your fiance.
This place looks pretty good, for example: April FREE! ~ Beautiful 2nd Floor Two Bedroom ~ 3 Pools! - keeps popping up in my searches in that area and looks nice! My guess is the more affordable units are probably pretty small, but you're on the water so who cares? Also I keep seeing this complex pop up, which is close by that area, in Pasadena: Hendricks Apartments - Apartment Rentals (look under Three Fountains in S. Pasadena, that's the one that's near Stetson).

Can't believe I even have advice about this, since I don't know the area overall that well, but my best friend lived in Gulfport for several years and we're looking in that area now! It's a really cute little town!

Old 04-21-2014, 03:38 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
If he went on the job at age 19, and he has his 20 years in and is eligible for a pension. That would be age 39.

Why finish law school? There are 10s of thousands of JD's that cant find a job in their field. Then he is out of work and deep in debt for the education.

HUH? He said he is 30, and plans to move this summer. Where are you getting 39 from?

He said moving this summer, not in the year 2023.

He also said he plans on finishing law school in FL.

It also might get old pretty quick for the girlfriend to be the only one working in FL while he attends law school time full time in FL and trying to live one salary, especially since he wants to be by the water and also close to things to do, all that costs $$$$$$$.

Insane at the age to give up a job that even as a patrolman is close to six figures. Finish up school in NY, than if you still want to move(find a job first) than do it.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
HUH? He said he is 30, and plans to move this summer. Where are you getting 39 from?

He said moving this summer, not in the year 2023.

He also said he plans on finishing law school in FL.

It also might get old pretty quick for the girlfriend to be the only one working in FL while he attends law school time full time in FL and trying to live one salary, especially since he wants to be by the water and also close to things to do, all that costs $$$$$$$.

Insane at the age to give up a job that even as a patrolman is close to six figures. Finish up school in NY, than if you still want to move(find a job first) than do it.
Maybe his plan is to get off the job now. It must be real frustrating to be cop in NYC now days, much worse than ever before because the criminals are better armed than the police and have rights to rely on that the NYPD guy does not. He could walk away after 10 years service with a pension of a little more than 17k a year.

If age age 30, he separates from service and is vested with 10 years of credited
service and a final average salary of $82,000. If he chooses to collect the pension
benefit at what would have been the 20th year of service (about age 40) the Vested retirement
calculation would get him $17220 a year until he reaches age 62. At age 62, the pension benefit is reduced due to Social Security Retirement. Not a bad deal. He can get out before anything unfortunate happens to him.

Instead of doing the law school bit, I would get another civil service job and hit up another pension at age 50, 55. The rest is nice life. The reason I think law school is not such a good idea is because of expense and incurred debt. At the present time a lawyer who passes the Bar exam probably wont be working as an attorney for a while.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:55 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Maybe his plan is to get off the job now. It must be real frustrating to be cop in NYC now days, much worse than ever before because the criminals are better armed than the police and have rights to rely on that the NYPD guy does not. He could walk away after 10 years service with a pension of a little more than 17k a year.

If age age 30, he separates from service and is vested with 10 years of credited
service and a final average salary of $82,000. If he chooses to collect the pension
benefit at what would have been the 20th year of service (about age 40) the Vested retirement
calculation would get him $17220 a year until he reaches age 62. At age 62, the pension benefit is reduced due to Social Security Retirement. Not a bad deal. He can get out before anything unfortunate happens to him.

Instead of doing the law school bit, I would get another civil service job and hit up another pension at age 50, 55. The rest is nice life. The reason I think law school is not such a good idea is because of expense and incurred debt. At the present time a lawyer who passes the Bar exam probably wont be working as an attorney for a while.
EXCELLENT advice. I could not agree more. ^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay