Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 07:53 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,234,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
I avoid Wal-Mart like the plague. It's dirty, gross, and so many of the people who shop there are disgusting, rude, and filthy. I'll gladly pay more at Publix to avoid the whole Wal-Mart experience.
Your Walmart is like that - mine isn't. Mine is clean, pleasant, the cashiers are hardworking, but friendly. The neighborhood that I live in have friendly, courteous people who shop there. You must live in a low rent, low socioeconomic area. But this whole Walmart bashing is really off topic, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 07:59 AM

23,709 posts, read 30,591,748 times
Historically big box retailers have not opened on Easter Sunday for the simple reason that they won't have enough staff to open. They already run on minimum payroll for the rest of of the week. Also historically even if they schedule people to work that day, many have called out. It's been like this for decades. Small stores like Trader Joe's (depending on the area they are in) may open on Easter because they require much less staff compared to Publix. Easter is not a paid holiday, so there is little incentive for people to actually work it and if they claim freedom of religion then they won't be written up as a no show.

As to the 365 day crowd it depends on one's line of work. I'm in a 365/24/7 company so everyday is a work day. But what I do has nothing to do with what they do. In my industry, I can actually say I work 365. I may not be scheduled to work so, but nearly everyday I get a text or an email that (may) requires a response. Currently I'm on vacation and my business related emails auto respond to state that I am, but it doesn't mean I don't get the emails (and if I don't see responses within a short time frame, I start making phone calls to the on-call people).

But hey you could be Jewish and have to deal with the supermarkets that close from at least two days to an entire week in relation to Passover.
Kosher Caterers and Food Products in Miami | Aroma Market

Old 04-21-2014, 08:05 AM

6,583 posts, read 4,959,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dystopian View Post
FYI, the North America is the only country that stores are open on Sundays, everyone should have decompress time with friends, family, themselves.

You sound very young in wisdom.
North America is not a country, Canadians, Mexicans etc are North Americans.

I travel a lot I dont remember being in a place where everything was closed on Sundays, I know is not that way in most of South America. Religion should not play a part in any of this, is a business decision, if you are business you decide if you are open on sundays based on whether or not you are going to be on the black, if your employees dont want to work, they can find another job so you have to factor in the cost of retraining new people etc, everything breaks down to numbers, part of your customers will probably be religious and may not like that you are open so you may lose business, but absolutely everything can be broken down into numbers positive effects vs negative effects. If you are the CEO of a grocer and you can make money by opening on Sundays then you owe it to our shareholders to do so, its your duty over whatever sense of tradition you might have.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:50 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,234,143 times
Germany closes most stores on Sunday and often by midday or so on Saturdays except on long Saturday each month. Restaurants and maybe smoke shops/gasoline convenience stores are open. They (Germans) do a lot of things right - but also tax their people up the wazoo.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:38 AM

3 posts, read 2,452 times
I'd like to thank Costco for giving me a paid day off yesterday so I could spend time with my family!

Old 04-21-2014, 09:41 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,082,245 times
Tradition?

You shut stores down for any other religious holidays (non-Christian), you better believe there would be outrage and whining.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:50 AM

16,986 posts, read 21,655,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planedition View Post
Publix, Fresh Market and many others all closed today, on Easter. It's not even a freaking holiday for people who are not Christian!!!!!!!! Before you jump on that train, please note that I am Christian, went to Christian private school for 13 years, etc! But I work 365 days a year. I don't get holidays off. Many many others work 365 as well.

Thank god Trader Joe's was open so I could get what I needed for the week and get some items that my mother asked me to get for Easter lunch today. This was lunch I had before I had to report for work.

WHICH IS WHERE I AM RIGHT NOW!

In my opinion stores and restaurants that close on holidays or that close on all Sundays are giving the big fat FINGER to their customers. And I really don't appreciate that and I will remember it.

Another reason to shop exclusively at Trader Joe's.

A. Be prepared, not like Easter was a surprise holiday!
B. Would love to know what you do working 365 days a year!
C. I tend to think that all those employees are away from their families so the story can sell some extra stuff because someone is unprepared? I tend to favor stores that put their employees and their families above an extra profit!

Old 04-21-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planedition View Post
I think the time is approaching when all stores will be open 365 days a year. We can thank the Internet for that.

It is now a 24/7--365 world.

Whether you want to accept it or not. As they, you snooze, you lose. Are you listening, Publix?

I am not saying this is a good thing.

I am saying that if we citizens of this world are expected to work 365 and be on call 365, then so should things like grocery stores. It's not like I want to go buy a BMW on Easter, I want to buy basic necessities like food and toilet paper.

Until businesses get with the times, I will be shopping at places that prioritize customer convenience. Like Trader Joe's.
Well Chic-fil-a is making a killing and is never open on Sundays or major holidays.......Buy basic necessities, go to 7-11. Why keep a 50,000 sq ft store open for you to buy toilet paper?

24/7/365 mentality isn't better unless you are talking about life saving things, not toilet paper!

Old 04-21-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiovo View Post
Wow, you have to work 365 days a year so therefore everyone else should have to. Totally understand your logic now.

She is ranting because she has a sh!tty job as a cashier at Trader Joes!

Old 04-21-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
How did you work more in DC, NYC, and LA? Not possible if you currently work every day of the year now.
Duh she lived there on leap years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay