Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 12:06 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,173,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher23 View Post
Your going to get that for any state forum on CD. People love to point out the negatives especially in a state where people are rapidly moving to, just check out the California and Texas forums and you'll see.
I think the positives outweigh the negatives here though as you will see alot more people loving it here and expressing that. I personally am in my climatic paradise here as compared to where i came from in Ohio, plus there are so many things to do here that i'm always keeping busy, however thats not to say there are things here not to dislike, but like Gulfer mentioned, the negative people tend to be louder.
If you are actually serious about moving here, then you have to listen to both sides, because if you only listen to the positives then you could be setting yourself up for a disaster.
I've been down here for almost 5 months now and i've noticed those negatives that people have mentioned here, but its certainly not enough to make me pack my bags and head back to Ohio. Just as long as you know what to expect and come down here with an open mind, then you should be fine, but don't let all the negative people dissuade you from where you want to be because if that was the case for me then i wouldn't be here.
Good Luck!
Listen to a recent transplant..

Problem is most people who are posting a questions here are looking for a confirmation than honest answers to their questions. So, they get disappointed when some people tell them some things that do not align with their expectation. From what I see, there are more "cheerleaders" than negative ones in numbers here, that's for sure. But most are realistic like me (yay ) who would tell you both sides.

In fact, it is better if you know about the negative than the positive. Nothing will happen to you if everything is positive. Not the other way around. A famous French philosopher, I believe, once said "If you don't believe in God and it is true that God doesn't exist, you are fine. But you don't believe in God and God is real? You are in whole lot of trouble" or something along that line. You know where I am going.......

Last edited by Pragmaticus; 04-26-2014 at 12:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 12:18 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,827,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
I think there is something subliminal going on here when people complain about the bad things in the Tampa area. I think deep down they just don't want anyone else moving here. Florida has become the 3rd Largest state in the country. THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A SECOND!!! The 3rd Largest State; It is putting a huge strain on the economy, schools, infrastructure, and on and on. I think folks are subconsciously telling everyone to stay away cause it's just plain too crowded.......

JMTC.
I think there is no doubt that some people want to close the door behind them.

I think there is also another bunch who feel they got cheated or robbed from the global housing crash and therefore have decided to blame Florida and the people here.

3rd largest state? Wow. That is impressive. Funny thing about that though is the vast majority of the people reside in several coastal metropolises and there is a huge amount of space left inland. Imagine what would happen if that space starts to fill up, because the coastal areas become no room available?

Old 04-26-2014, 05:35 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,009,290 times
If they find it to be so lousy for them why do they remain, year after year. Sometimes they do leave but come back to the forum to continue their berating. Jeeze, if you hated it, didnt like it, whatever and you go home or someplace else, good for you. But why in the world would they want to come back to a forum that supports the FL lifestyle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Well said! I feel the same way!

Funny how some people think people who LOVE Florida are delusional, lying, have an agenda, blah, blah, blah.....but those who do not like it here are 100% honest and spot on.

Personally I put more stock into people who say they love it or like it here or who say I tried it and I prefer to live elsewhere, than people who do nothing but hate and have nothing but negative things to say about anybody who dare like it here.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:33 PM

145 posts, read 227,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltzman143 View Post
This is a most EXCELLENT question, and one that anyone looking to move to Florida should know the answer to. Don't listen to the people who say this is "trolling" or people don't hate it here. This is a VERY big problem in Tampa and in Florida in general. Before you move here you must know that you will constantly run into people who hate living here, complain about it and have a very negative attitude about Tampa and Florida.

First of all I am a Florida native. I have lived here most of my life. I moved away for 15 years (NY, LA) to gather new experiences, and now I am back. I love it here. LOVE IT. It is the perfect combination of fast and slow, the weather is gorgeous 7 months of the year, the people are nice, traffic is tolerable, pollution is low, and it's cheap compared to many large metro areas. It has positives and negatives like any other city.

It is absolutely true that Tampa Bay and Florida are full of people who moan, groan, ***** and whine about Florida. Most of these people have moved here from somewhere else for various reasons. Many of these people were derelict in their duty to conduct the appropriate research about living here before they made the move. And they are constantly comparing Florida to where they came from.

The Midwesterners whine about how they miss how "nice" everyone was back in Iowa (insert any Midwestern state here), they miss the Ohio White Castles, the Detroit pizza, they miss the Chicago L, shopping at Zingermans and Meijer, they miss the cool summers, and on and on. They are really intolerant of the Florida weather. A lot of them move back.

The people from the Mid-Atlantic whine about how they miss the DC job market, the "highly educated" populace, the food in Pennsylvania (grinders, cheesesteaks, pizza, etc.), the VA countryside, the transit options, Delaware beaches, etc.

The people from the Northeast and New England REALLY love to moan about how they miss their autumn leaves, the apple picking, the pizza, the change of seasons, the trains, the seafood, the mountains, Yankee Stadium and Fenway Park, etc. These are some of the worst offenders. They can really whine your ear off.

The people who move here from the West Coast and Southwest, they are absolutely miserable because they are not used to humidity and hate the whole Southern attitude found in Florida. They are used to political correctness and liberal towns and In and Out Burger on every corner. They are here because they can't afford California. And they hate it. They think Florida is very backward. (Actually so do most of the other non-natives.)

One thing they all have in common is they all say Florida drivers are the worst. As if the drivers in every other part of the country are perfect.

To all of these whiners, I say, I don't get you either. Life is way too short to marinate in misery. Move back to Boston STAT so you can have fried clams every day! Move back to Philly so you can shop at Reading Terminal! Move back to Scottsdale so your hair doesn't frizz! Oh, but moving isn't easy? Well, you moved here, didn't you. Stop making excuses and move back to where you will be happier!

To the people thinking about moving here, many of us LOVE IT. But don't say you were not warned.
This was a great post to read saltz! Pretty much sums it up accurately. I am like you in the sense of not wishing to marinate in misery. Life is way to short, don't sweat the little things!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-26-2014, 06:45 PM

790 posts, read 1,257,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrudy View Post
I have been following this forum for a few months now and it appears there are only two types of posters.

- Those like me, who are considering a move to Florida (Tampa) and are looking for information.

- And then there are those that live in Florida (Tampa) and for some reason they absolutely hate it, talk about how terrible everything is and try to discourage anyone from moving there.

I dont get it, if its really that bad why do these people live there ?

Look OP, I'm just gonna say this. You are not on here to "look for information". Your mind is already made up and you are on here for validation. When you do not get that validation (someone talks "badly" about FL) then you get up in arms because "how dare they ruin my dream!!! argghh"

Florida is not "really that bad" but people that live here are going to give you both the positive and the negative. If I were you I would question the people that are on here night and day defending FL from people like me who TELL THE TRUTH and ask them the following:

#1 If FL was so nice, why are you constantly on CD defending how nice it is and not enjoying "paradise"?
#2 What does said poster have to gain from defending the state so fiercely (think real estate ties,hey want you to PM them for "more information").
#3 Possibly northerners who moved here and are forever bragging about the "best" decision they ever made.

In your mind Buffalo, NY is the ***hole and FL is paradise even if you never even visited here and no one is going to stop you from doing what you want to do, and I say GO FOR IT! But dont be on here complaining when you finally get here and you get hit by an uninsured driver (25% of the state) or attacked by a zombie or swallowed into a sink hole... just sayin

Cliff Notes:

OP is moving to florida no matter what

CD is validation for said move

Obvious bias towards "positive thinking" on this forum since, gotta support realtors

Old 04-26-2014, 07:30 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,592,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
Look OP, I'm just gonna say this. You are not on here to "look for information". Your mind is already made up and you are on here for validation. When you do not get that validation (someone talks "badly" about FL) then you get up in arms because "how dare they ruin my dream!!! argghh"

Florida is not "really that bad" but people that live here are going to give you both the positive and the negative. If I were you I would question the people that are on here night and day defending FL from people like me who TELL THE TRUTH and ask them the following:

#1 If FL was so nice, why are you constantly on CD defending how nice it is and not enjoying "paradise"?
#2 What does said poster have to gain from defending the state so fiercely (think real estate ties,hey want you to PM them for "more information").
#3 Possibly northerners who moved here and are forever bragging about the "best" decision they ever made.

In your mind Buffalo, NY is the ***hole and FL is paradise even if you never even visited here and no one is going to stop you from doing what you want to do, and I say GO FOR IT! But dont be on here complaining when you finally get here and you get hit by an uninsured driver (25% of the state) or attacked by a zombie or swallowed into a sink hole... just sayin

Cliff Notes:

Obvious bias towards "positive thinking" on this forum since, gotta support realtors

This does seem to be the case judging from the replies.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:43 PM

30,137 posts, read 20,850,585 times
Quote:

Cliff Notes:

Even the worst hood is like a heaven to a few REALTORS on here. Anything to make a buck.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:46 PM

6,581 posts, read 4,954,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
If they find it to be so lousy for them why do they remain, year after year. Sometimes they do leave but come back to the forum to continue their berating. Jeeze, if you hated it, didnt like it, whatever and you go home or someplace else, good for you. But why in the world would they want to come back to a forum that supports the FL lifestyle?
That's the thing, the forum is a source of information, ideally people providing their own experiences, their local knowledge to people who want to know, the forum is not to support the Florida lifestyle whatever that means you.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:54 PM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,810,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmaticus View Post
Listen to a recent transplant..

Problem is most people who are posting a questions here are looking for a confirmation than honest answers to their questions. So, they get disappointed when some people tell them some things that do not align with their expectation. From what I see, there are more "cheerleaders" than negative ones in numbers here, that's for sure. But most are realistic like me (yay ) who would tell you both sides.

In fact, it is better if you know about the negative than the positive. Nothing will happen to you if everything is positive. Not the other way around. A famous French philosopher, I believe, once said "If you don't believe in God and it is true that God doesn't exist, you are fine. But you don't believe in God and God is real? You are in whole lot of trouble" or something along that line. You know where I am going.......
Yes, Beacher made a very practical statement in that he listened to both sides before moving and is completely aware that some of the negative, i.e. realistic, information does in fact exist.

If you're unhappy prior to moving to Florida (and by unhappy, I'm not talking about hating the weather/cold/rain, etc. but, rather, unhappy on the inside), you will be unhappy after moving to Florida and nothing, not "perfect" weather/beaches/sunshine is going to cure that. But...if you prepare properly and leave the rose-colored glasses at the door, you will be well equipped to handle the negatives that will be waiting for you.

I try to have a positive, relaxed attitude with a touch of idealism but also consider myself a realist and listen to EVERYTHING I read on here. I would rather know what I'm getting myself into. And because of the job situation being a big question mark, it's why I'm taking a s-l-o-w approach to moving (saving money) even though I'd rather just be down there NOW.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:52 AM

473 posts, read 539,556 times
Quote:

Cliff Notes:

b8nk, you are incorrect in your assessment. My wife and I are strongly considering a move to Tampa however we have not decided 100%. I have been on this for forum for a month or more gathering information to make an educated decision about relocating. During this time I have noticed a large number of negative posts which is why I asked the original question. Trust me we are not looking for a stranger on a message board to validate our decisions.

I also want to point out that I never said Buffalo, NY is a ****hole. In fact the exact opposite is true. Buffalo is a wonderful place to live and raise a family, that does not mean there aren't drawbacks as with any city. A poor job market, bad weather and overtaxed New York State are a few.

We simply have not had an opportunity to move before but with one kid in college and another on their way, now is the time. We are both in our mid 40's with marketable job skills and experience in IT and insurance.

Trust me , we are not considering a move to Florida as part of some dream scenario, we realize the reality of life. Part of that is we would rather work our remaining 15 plus years in a sunny, warm climate where every weekend we can swim in our pool or drive to the beach.

Work-Life Balance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay