Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 06:46 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenpearl View Post
Florida summers are really intense, in terms of humidity and the strength of the sun. I think many move to Florida thinking that their summers will be similar to up north, just much longer; but they really aren't the same, in my opinion. I can easily run, play tennis, garden, etc. in July and August up north, but I can't do the same during the summer months in Florida. I don't know how the guys who work outside in Florida year round do it.
Personally, I love the summers here. Most heat lovers probably do too. I see lots of people outside and active all day long during the summer.

For people who do not like the summers here, it is most likely the humidity that makes them feel that way......more so than the 90 degree temps.

Here are some tips to help make summer more enjoyable:

Shade feels far cooler on the skin than sun does. The sun is very strong here.

The closer to the coast the stronger the breeze on most days. The air is more stagnant further inland, resulting in it being less tolerable.

Dense trees and foliage make an incredible difference in the feel. Microclimates containing them feel much cooler.

House orientation matters more than some people realize. Have the sun rising in the active zone of the house and setting in a non active zone of the house like a garage if possible.

Having lived in far hotter climates than this, we looked for the items above and got all of them in this house. If you can do the same, you will notice a huge difference in how it feels. Here our roads have sidewalks on both sides covered by the canopy of trees. Walking, running or biking those will feel much better than in a concrete jungle.

Oh and of course a POOL!

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 05-05-2014 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: Added helpful tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 07:19 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,794,402 times
Quote:
Do summers in your area have more bugs than winter?
Yeah, and they hate it too!

Old 05-09-2014, 02:18 PM

153 posts, read 198,161 times
Like most people have already said, San Diego's weather isn't like the humid, summer months in Tampa. I grew up in San Diego, and there was generally 1-2 weeks where it was gawd awful hot and humid, but the rest of the summer was fine.

I really feel bad for the families who visit Walt Disney World (in Orlando) during the summer. I can't imagine walking around crowded theme parks in hot, humid temps.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:24 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
The gulf temps are coming up by the day. A few more days of this solid sunshine cooking the water temps and we will be above 81 in the gulf in no time. Still about 6 weeks away from the real nasty stuff.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:16 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,019,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
The gulf temps are coming up by the day. A few more days of this solid sunshine cooking the water temps and we will be above 81 in the gulf in no time. Still about 6 weeks away from the real nasty stuff.
Yep, you're about to hit that 90 degree mark, the first of many for months to come. I'm glad not to have to endure any more Florida summers. Aside from the monsoon season here, it's bearable. Hot like a blow drier, but not sticky and nasty!

Old 05-09-2014, 08:42 PM

644 posts, read 1,483,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
Yep, you're about to hit that 90 degree mark, the first of many for months to come. I'm glad not to have to endure any more Florida summers. Aside from the monsoon season here, it's bearable. Hot like a blow drier, but not sticky and nasty!
Yes, those who move to Florida chasing some sunshine pipedream are often disappointed when they find out what paradise is really like for almost half the year. I'm sure that's one reason why you see so many transients move in and out.

Last edited by gardenpearl; 05-09-2014 at 09:02 PM..

Old 05-09-2014, 09:01 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,647,422 times
My good friend just returned to Tampa Bay after a 5 year stay in San Diego...I'm happy to have her back but I think she is crazy...she loves the humidity...to each his own!!!

Old 05-09-2014, 09:33 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,019,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
My good friend just returned to Tampa Bay after a 5 year stay in San Diego...I'm happy to have her back but I think she is crazy...she loves the humidity...to each his own!!!
I guess some people just like the feeling of sweating. I should say, the feeling of the sweat building up on their skin and soaking into their clothes. I know it sounds bizarre to you and me, maybe it makes them feel alive or something. But we ought to just accept it and not debate it. Their are alot of weird fetishes for that matter that I don't understand, poo fetish for instance.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:42 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Do summers in your area have more bugs than winter?
Bugs are here all year round they just move faster in the summer.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:04 AM

10,228 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
I guess some people just like the feeling of sweating. I should say, the feeling of the sweat building up on their skin and soaking into their clothes. I know it sounds bizarre to you and me, maybe it makes them feel alive or something. But we ought to just accept it and not debate it. Their are alot of weird fetishes for that matter that I don't understand, poo fetish for instance.
I only sweat on my face. Nowhere else on my body no matter how hot it gets. Even temps in the 70s bother me. Nothing can be done about it. They say the condition is genetic. I suppose this is why I have always hated the heat since childhood.

The only thing that can be done is to stay inside in AC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay