Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,035 times

Advertisements

So we are from Phx Az, we are wanting to move and checking different places out. One of the places we are considering it Tampa. My father used to be stationed at McDill AFB many years ago. He told me once that the weather is a lot like San Diego. I was just wondering how true that is. We have visited Orlando and Jacksonville where we have family, but the humidity was heavy, at least for an AZ native. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 09:08 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,463,477 times
I lived in San Diego and it is NOT like it from May through October. Otherwise, comparable!

It is Humid for sure. But your 110 to 120 degree days are similar to our 90 degrees with 70% to 90% humidity. Hot feels HOT!

I also lived 3 years in Jacksonville. Not as hot, not as many afternoon T-Storms either. Winter months are colder.

Orlando is/feels hotter than both Jax and Tampa. The air simply doesn't move there somedays

Old 05-02-2014, 09:17 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,165,263 times
It is beyond beyond HUMID in all of Florida IMHO. There should be another english word for it for Florida humidity!

Lived there for years, now going back and forth for work and families and it still amazes me how humid it stays.

You have to look past it though as in all things. But in all honesty, it's almost as if nothing ever dries outside. Your hair is always a humid hair day, your towels will almost never dry outside and the car constantly covered in moisture.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:26 AM

464 posts, read 645,585 times
Not much like San Diego which can have very chilly winters (can go many days without hitting 60).

After many years in Bisbee, AZ and then Central Mexico, we welcome the added humidity here...no more scratchy dry skin and sinuses! We lived in DC-Metro for 30 years and their summers can often have the 90 degree heat/90% RH, so we know what we're in for our first summer in Gulfport. We're retired and figure if we can't take the H&H in late summer here, we can travel elsewhere.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:39 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper6304 View Post
So we are from Phx Az, we are wanting to move and checking different places out. One of the places we are considering it Tampa. My father used to be stationed at McDill AFB many years ago. He told me once that the weather is a lot like San Diego. I was just wondering how true that is. We have visited Orlando and Jacksonville where we have family, but the humidity was heavy, at least for an AZ native. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
June until September will be humid most days. Plan on about 70-75 degree dew points. If someone is coming from a dry climate and arrives here in summer time, plan on noticing quite a difference. Summer daytime highs average around 90 degrees with very little variance, which is Far Far cooler than PHX AZ at 107, but with the previously mentioned dew points. Summer nights are usually in the 70's.

So Phx AZ has a much longer period of being much much hotter than Tampa Bay. But Tampa Bay has the dew points, which I like as they are one of the ingredients that help create awesome thunderstorms here.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:34 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
It will be insane from June thru Sept with a west wind blowing off of 90 degree gulf temps. Walk out at 6 am and get floored by a blast of hot heavy air that will suck the life out of ya.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:50 PM

644 posts, read 1,485,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
It will be insane from June thru Sept with a west wind blowing off of 90 degree gulf temps. Walk out at 6 am and get floored by a blast of hot heavy air that will suck the life out of ya.
Florida summers are really intense, in terms of humidity and the strength of the sun. I think many move to Florida thinking that their summers will be similar to up north, just much longer; but they really aren't the same, in my opinion. I can easily run, play tennis, garden, etc. in July and August up north, but I can't do the same during the summer months in Florida. I don't know how the guys who work outside in Florida year round do it.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:54 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenpearl View Post
Florida summers are really intense, in terms of humidity and the strength of the sun. I think many move to Florida thinking that their summers will be similar to up north, just much longer; but they really aren't the same, in my opinion. I can easily run, play tennis, garden, etc. in July and August up north, but I can't do the same during the summer months in Florida. I don't know how the guys who work outside in Florida year round do it.
It's true hell.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:16 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
As a lifelong native, I do everything in the summer here that I do all year. That said, yes the 4 months of super high humidity and temps are going to be uncomfortable for most, and that includes me. For me at least I live a couple blocks from a bay and get breezes. If one can live near a body of water (even a lake) with lots of shade trees on the property it can make a difference.

As far as San Diego weather, we kind of have that in our winter months, which for me is pure paradise!
People should really have a good long visit here in the dead of summer to see what it is really like.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:21 AM

644 posts, read 1,485,124 times
Do summers in your area have more bugs than winter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay