Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 05:40 PM

25 posts, read 54,376 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are very interested in both the Mirabay and Waterset master planned communities. To give a little background:
  • We have recently moved to the US so dont know a lot of people
  • Married couple in their mid 30's
  • My wife doesnt work (visa limitations)
  • Want to start a family soon
  • Are sociable

As a result we are very interested to get some first hand experiences from people who live or have lived in these communities on the following topics:
  • What are the age demographics of residents like?
  • Are their social clubs and other community activities that regularly take place?
  • Are they outwardly sociable communities, or do people largely keep to themselves?
  • What is the atmosphere of the cafe/club house like (e.g. are they regularly used, good atmosphere, or are they largely quiet)?
  • Are there child care facilitates close by?
  • How easy is it to get baby sitters?

From reading a number of posts on different forums, we realize that the train, power station stacks and power lines are a question mark on Waterset (be interested to get peoples opinions on whether this really a problem and just how visual) and with Mirabay there is the flood insurance aspect (i would be more interested in understanding how frequently it floods rather than the cost).

We have been out and had a look at Fish Hawk Ranch, and were very impressed with what we saw, but it is too far away from South Tampa and with all the continuing road works too slow to work. However, we really liked what we saw, so that is why we have considered Mirabay and Waterset due to being the same developer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 06:11 PM

877 posts, read 1,912,000 times
I don't live in either, but we are renting in Apollo Beach so I have somewhat of an idea.

What are the age demographics of residents like? From looking around I would say Mirabay tends toward a much older demographic. I would only live there if retired. Waterset seems younger from he people I see out walking/jogging on the paths.

Are their social clubs and other community activities that regularly take place? I've seen quite a bit advertised for both communities.

Are they outwardly sociable communities, or do people largely keep to themselves? I don't know.

What is the atmosphere of the cafe/club house like (e.g. are they regularly used, good atmosphere, or are they largely quiet)? Don't know.

Are there child care facilitates close by? Yes. Waterset actually has a Montessori school in it which my son will attend soon.

How easy is it to get baby sitters? Eh. We are very, very picky and we haven't found anyone yet that we would feel comfortable leaving our son alone with. We will probably end up going through a nanny service to get a regular babysitter. We're lucky in that we have good friends nearby who we can use for occasional babysitting.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:35 AM

676 posts, read 1,271,153 times
We live in Mirabay and I disagree with Stew re the demographics. It is a very eclectic community with families of all ages living here. There are retirees like myself here but also many, many families with young children. We looked at Waterset but preferred Mirabay.

There are many activities. Please check here:

MiraBay by Newland Communities | Waterfront Living | New Homes for Sale | Tampa, FL

We have met many neighbors and have found them to be generally outgoing and friendly. I can't comment on babysitters.

Last edited by ApolloBeachRetiree; 05-14-2014 at 01:49 AM..

Old 05-14-2014, 06:47 AM

383 posts, read 633,802 times
Hi Danoz - We are looking at both Mirabay and Waterset. Both places look wonderful. IMHO Mirabay is more of a resort like community. Pools, waterslides, trails. From what I have researched, I think it's great for all ages. Of course all amenities come with a price. Both Mirabay and Waterset have HOA, and CDD fees. Waterset's fees are less right now, and it's always possible for CDD maintenance and Operations fees to increase over the years. The same for HOA fees.
Mirabay is in a AE flood zone which requires you to purchase flood insurance in addition to your homeowners. Waterset is not in a floodzone, and you are not required to purchase additional flood insurance.
Some neighborhoods in Mirabay are considered "low maintenance" which means they don't have their own water meters in these homes. The HOA will also include lawn maintenance. It's not free of course, it's an additional $180 per month which includes your water usage.
We are still weighing each place on how we can fit it in our budget. We both retired early, are moving from CT. It seems that Waterset is more affordable for us on a month to month basis.
As far as stacks and tracks are concerned, you can buy a lot that has doesn't have a stack view, and I understand the Big Bend tracks are 1/2 mile away. I'm sure you can still hear it from the outside. The new homes are being made so energy efficient, that I wonder if you can hear them at all from the inside.
Good luck and I hope this helps.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:48 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,178,545 times
"From reading a number of posts on different forums, we realize that the train, power station stacks and power lines are a question mark on Waterset (be interested to get peoples opinions on whether this really a problem and just how visual)"

It's not other people's opinions that matter, it's a matter of your personal tolerance for these things. Stacks and tracks. You're going to see them, you're going to hear them. They're not going away. If they don't bother you, fine.

I lived off Apollo Beach Blvd. for two years. It's a lovely, charming area. However, for me, every time I looked up and saw those stacks, the charm was ruined. But that's just me. Clearly, from the way the area has grown, it doesn't bother a lot of people.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:52 AM

877 posts, read 1,912,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloBeachRetiree View Post
We live in Mirabay and I disagree with Stew re the demographics. It is a very eclectic community with families of all ages living here. There are retirees like myself here but also many, many families with young children. We looked at Waterset but preferred Mirabay.
It could just be the time of day I'm over there. I tend to go to that Publix in the early afternoon and it seems like everyone is in their 60s. The families are probably still at work/school.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:02 AM

Hummmm....Maybe If I invent Invisible Stack Glasses....blocks out stacks for miles....:-)

Old 05-14-2014, 07:02 AM

One thing interesting about the stacks, you can always tell how humid it is by looking at the emissions. If the air is moist, you'll see billowing, puffy white emissions. If the air is drier, the emissions are thinner and dissipate sooner.

Also, Tampa Electric has gone above and beyond to clean up what comes out of those stacks. They really do their best to be good neighbors. If another energy company owned the plant, I'd be a lot more cautious.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:07 AM

I also realize this. Where ever you go there is something. California -Earthquakes and Mudslides, Florida -Sinkholes, Phosphate mines...
I think you have to take the good with the bad. If you worry about everything you might as well live in a bubble.
I just want to live in a nice community, with nice people, some amenities and enjoy life!

Old 05-14-2014, 07:13 AM

In the end, the choice between Waterset and Mirabay is all about economics and what someone is willing to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay