Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Family with young kids - Which area is best?
Carrollwood 0 0%
Palm Harbor 4 36.36%
Westchase 5 45.45%
Other 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 3,887 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate to Florida, and narrowed it down to Tampa area.
We are are a family of 4, one 3 year old and another one on the way, so family friendly neighborhoods is key for us, as it is great schools, low crime, and don't want to be too far from beaches, city amenities, and airport (30 min or so). Our budget is 400-450k. Strongly prefer newer homes, more contemporary, either new construction or something later than 2000 if possible.

Looked at New Tampa/Wesley Chapel, and while it is a very nice area with newer homes it seems to be far from everything else.

We've visited and seen areas we liked that seem to be closer to beaches/amenities and not too far from airport, like Palm Harbor, Westchase, Carrollwood.

Can you please helps us with pros/cons for those areas, why should we choose one over the other one, and are there other areas we haven't considered that we should look at?

Also, we found some new construction in Palm Harbor in the west side, but we have noticed in this forum some people prefer East side (of Tarpon Springs Lake), are there reasons why we should limit our search in Palm Harbor to the East Side?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 08:35 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,827,634 times
The eastern part of Palm Harbor to the east of Lake Tarpon is going to be your best bet to match what you are looking for overall. Great schools, low crime, half hour to the airport, 15-35 minutes to the beaches, newer homes as far as Pinellas goes, neighborhoods without expensive CDD fees, very family oriented and easier traffic for the general area. Keep in mind that traffic anywhere here can be worse than a lot of other places, especially the crazy drivers we seem to attract here.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:42 AM

26,814 posts, read 43,277,024 times
I agree with PriusH8r, the east side of Palm Harbor and East Lake is a terrific area. It's less congested in my opinion than the west side, it's closer to most job centers and everyday conveniences, plus nicer in general.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree with PriusH8r, the east side of Palm Harbor and East Lake is a terrific area. It's less congested in my opinion than the west side, it's closer to most job centers and everyday conveniences, plus nicer in general.
And closer to the beaches than the other two options mentioned.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:18 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,788,961 times
The eastern part of Palm Harbor is newer. It has a ton of your typical chain-type places and very nice subdivisions. The western part of Palm Harbor is older and more eclectic. Ozona is a little-known area that is very charming in the western part. I just love it there! I don't think you could go wrong either way - it's just a matter of taste. I personally prefer western Palm Harbor because it has loads of trees and Old Florida charm, and it's closer to the water. However, the eastern side is wonderful too - especially if you want something newer surrounded by lots of newer ammenities.

I'd stay out of Carrollwood. It is a traffic nightmare out there! Westchase is nice, but the schools aren't as good as what you would find in Palm Harbor. My sister lives in Westchase, and she tells me they are constantly having to deal with crime since they get a lot of Town and Country spillover.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
The eastern part of Palm Harbor is newer. It has a ton of your typical chain-type places and very nice subdivisions. The western part of Palm Harbor is older and more eclectic. Ozona is a little-known area that is very charming in the western part. I just love it there! I don't think you could go wrong either way - it's just a matter of taste. I personally prefer western Palm Harbor because it has loads of trees and Old Florida charm, and it's closer to the water. However, the eastern side is wonderful too - especially if you want something newer surrounded by lots of newer ammenities.

I'd stay out of Carrollwood. It is a traffic nightmare out there! Westchase is nice, but the schools aren't as good as what you would find in Palm Harbor. My sister lives in Westchase, and she tells me they are constantly having to deal with crime since they get a lot of Town and Country spillover.
Excellent post. Please note though that we live on the east side of Lake Tarpon and have dense trees and foliage, however as you point out some neighborhoods do not.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:59 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,788,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Excellent post. Please note though that we live on the east side of Lake Tarpon and have dense trees and foliage, however as you point out some neighborhoods do not.
This is definitely true. Thank you for clarifying! The areas around Lake Tarpon are pretty heavily treed and just lovely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay