Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2014, 12:25 PM

26 posts, read 56,787 times

Advertisements

Where we currently live (in Switzerland), there are numerous companies who refer to themselves as relocation consultants or agents, and they basically take care of pretty much everything for people moving into or out of the country. By everything I mean... legal paperwork, househunting (buying, selling or renting), finding schools, locating car dealerships, furniture shopping, etc etc... this list goes on (as does the price tag attached!)

So I am wondering, does this same service exist in Tampa? Does anyone know of any companies or individuals who could provide this type of service?

Thanks in advance!

Stefanie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 04:28 AM

676 posts, read 1,271,021 times
Stephanie, I don't think you'll find what you are looking for. Most "relocation companies" here are simply movers. You would have to engage a real estate agent who can act as your representative and a moving company. What I would suggest is that you engage a mover or relocation agent in Switzerland to assist you in making the move.

Good luck.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:12 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
As a real estate professional we can help you to connect with all kind of services but in the end the person has to take care of a lot things themselves unless you are willing to give a complete stranger a power of attorney which I wouldn't recommend.

Having moved from Europe myself with the entire family incl. kids and having to choose schools we got help from the management company that was managing one of our family member due to the athletic ability and contract we had but most things we did ourselves and they just helped pointing out which bank they thought was easy to help out and gave us some names of schools.

Unless you know someone I would not advise to hand over your affairs to any stranger. Not all professionals have your best interest on the top of their list and their number one item maybe your money so be careful.

The other thing is that the level of education in Europe that you are used to is different than over here and it doesn't mean schools are bad over here. It is just different and kids over here learn things we never had discussed in school for more than maybe 1 hour a year. We like the school system over here but one of kids started over here in grade 6 and was moved to grade 9 within weeks since she was so far ahead of kids the same age and she graduated at the age of 15.

The education system over here for the younger kids is more what we had in HS in. Europe and I'm not referring to the level but the way that kids move from class to class for different subjects while we were used to having our kids sit all day with one teacher in one class room and that teacher thought them everything incl. physical exercise classes for which kids moved to another facility on some occasions while other times just on the school yard.

Especially with movers be careful since often they demand more money once they are ready to unload your stuff so make sure you cover everything.

If possible contact others that have done a similar move and perhaps are from the same area as you are from so you have something in common or contact someone who has experience and don't go for the one fits all package and spend a lot of money for items you can get for free but simply getting a referral. Keep in mind realtors are not allowed to get a referral fee for referring a lawyer, mover, etc. that should be a free service so don't pay additional for something a good realtor should provide to you as a service unless you are asking them to conduct all the work.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:58 AM

26 posts, read 56,787 times
Thank you very much! You've given me lots to think about.

Stefanie

Old 05-21-2014, 12:34 PM

40 posts, read 50,707 times
Yes, there are Relocation Consultants here. We are moving from NJ to Tampa and the company my husband works for uses a relocation company to help employees with transfers. They help with buying/selling your home, moving company, temporary housing, etc.

PM me if you want to know the name of the company. I don't know if they do international relocations and since we have just started the process, I don't know how good/bad they are.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:21 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,596,703 times
The two largest relocation organizations I'm aware of are Cartus and Brookfield (formerly Prudential). I've worked with agents from both and some were very good and others couldn't find their way out of a wet paper bag. Both have websites. If you want a link here, let me know.

When I worked for a global organization, relocations were arranged in-house and again, the service totally depended on the agent(s) you were assigned to work with. It's a daunting task but people do it every day. I'm sure if you continue asking questions and researching such as you're doing here, everything will work out to your benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: