Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 10:37 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times

Advertisements

So few people ride the streetcar line, that I don't even consider it to be public transit. I doubt even most Tampa residents know about it. I've never been on it and I love public transit.

I just don't think Tampa is a city where good public transit would work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 10:58 AM

383 posts, read 634,421 times
If there were a train going from the Southshore of Hillsborough County to YBOR or Downtown you bet I would take it rather than sit in traffic. I may also take it to a friend in South Tampa, or Westchase. So the answer is if it's available I would take it, and I'm sure that others would too.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:03 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markeg View Post
If there were a train going from the Southshore of Hillsborough County to YBOR or Downtown you bet I would take it rather than sit in traffic. I may also take it to a friend in South Tampa, or Westchase. So the answer is if it's available I would take it, and I'm sure that others would too.
The weather is definitely a big impediment, in the summer you have thunderstorms everyday try walking even 2 blocks in that, the heat is another thing, I do think there are not insurmountable but its going to take a lot of investment, you would think shuttles can be used to move people around the downtown area they would need to be frequent enough, as we see improvements in CNG/electric buses the cost of ownership of the shuttles will get down to a point where private ventures can fill that role.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:08 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markeg View Post
I would use a P&R train to take to downtown - I go there regularly.....that's one thing, but a high speed TPA to Orlando? Never. No reason to.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:11 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times
It'd be great to connect St. Pete to Tampa and to the airport.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:23 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Marta Atlanta looks like a good model.....with endpoints at St Pete, Clearwater, Brandon/Riverview, Lutz/USF , Airport.....center hub is Downtown Tampa.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:57 PM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Marta Atlanta looks like a good model.....with endpoints at St Pete, Clearwater, Brandon/Riverview, Lutz/USF , Airport.....center hub is Downtown Tampa.
Ha, that's a dream.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:24 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,049 times
Quote:
I would use a P&R train to take to downtown - I go there regularly.....that's one thing, but a high speed TPA to Orlando? Never. No reason to.
Well, we go to Disney a lot so, if we didn't have to drive (especially at night), it would b awesome!!!!!

Old 06-14-2015, 05:28 PM
PDF

Quote:
It almost happened.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:36 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,224,561 times
Quote:
This is what the mindset of folks against spending tons of Fed and State tax dollars was....and you can't blame them with the track record of rail in America.

Robert J. Samuelson - High-Speed Rail Plans Defy Experience

The Obama administration's enthusiasm for high-speed rail is a dispiriting example of government's inability to learn from past mistakes. Since 1971, the federal government has poured almost $35 billion in subsidies into Amtrak with few public benefits. At most, we've gotten negligible reductions -- invisible and statistically insignificant -- in congestion, oil use or greenhouse gases. What's mainly being provided is subsidized transportation for a small sliver of the population. In a country where 140 million people go to work every day, Amtrak has 78,000 daily passengers. A typical trip is subsidized by about $50.
750,000 a day ride the Northeast Corridor using Amtrak infrastructure. In 2013, Amtrak carried 11.4 million of those passengers on the NEC.

Overview

Amtrak - About Amtrak - Facts & Services - National Fact Sheet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay