Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 04:35 AM

693 posts, read 1,137,762 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Had a quick question regarding my pool temps.

I have to begin this with we are new to Florida so everything is a learning process.

Pool was finished on April 24th, about a month ago.

I got into it the next day and it was 78F and was surpised that it was cold, again I am learning. After the initial splash I was in it for a while and was okay but was tough getting in.

Since then we have had some really warm temps and the pool continues to hover around 79-81F. Its still got a bit of a chill at that temp.

I do have a gas heater but was only planning on using it in the colder months, not May or into the Summer.

My pool gets sun all day as the sun tracks across my pool East to West. I do have a screen with no-see-umm Mesh which is a little heavier.

Can I expect my pool temperatures to remain this temp or will they get up to the mid/upper 80s?

What temperature without heat has your pool been this month?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 04:47 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,799,335 times
We have a southern-facing pool. Our temps have started moving into the 80 degree mark. I went in the other day, and yikes! It was chilly! We are surrounded by oaks and have a screen, so I'm sure that affects the temperature of the pool water. Our pool is also quite large and has an 8 foot deep end. Last year, we ended up with a water temp high of about 85 in the middle of the summer. This summer we expect it to be a little higher since we had a few of our oaks removed that were hanging over our screened enclosure. I will post back and let you know if we breech the 85 degree ceiling! I'm looking forward to re-finishing our pool soon … I think we're going to go with a dark blue or black bottom. I grew up with black bottom pools in Florida, and they were always close to 90 in the summer even with a screen.

I do think having a screen keeps pools from heating up well, so that could be part of the problem with yours. You could always turn on the heater, get the temp where you want it, and then cover the pool at night to hold the heat in. Or invest in a solar heater. Some of our friends and family members have those, and their pools are always warmer than ours and have an earlier swim time.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:31 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post
Hello,

Had a quick question regarding my pool temps.

I have to begin this with we are new to Florida so everything is a learning process.

Pool was finished on April 24th, about a month ago.

I got into it the next day and it was 78F and was surpised that it was cold, again I am learning. After the initial splash I was in it for a while and was okay but was tough getting in.

Since then we have had some really warm temps and the pool continues to hover around 79-81F. Its still got a bit of a chill at that temp.

I do have a gas heater but was only planning on using it in the colder months, not May or into the Summer.

My pool gets sun all day as the sun tracks across my pool East to West. I do have a screen with no-see-umm Mesh which is a little heavier.

Can I expect my pool temperatures to remain this temp or will they get up to the mid/upper 80s?

What temperature without heat has your pool been this month?

Thanks!
Mine gets to 88-90 in the warmest part of summer. I love it then. 82-85 is chilly at first and then just okay. 86-90 is the best. We don't mess with 70's water. Brrrrrrrrrr!

Our pool is on the smaller end at 8,500 gallons and gets sun from 10:00 - 4:00 give or take as the days go by.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:50 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Mine gets to 88-90 in the warmest part of summer. I love it then. 82-85 is chilly at first and then just okay. 86-90 is the best. We don't mess with 70's water. Brrrrrrrrrr!

Our pool is on the smaller end at 8,500 gallons and gets sun from 10:00 - 4:00 give or take as the days go by.
I like warmer pool water too. OP, a solar cover helps warm it up faster.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:04 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
Our pool is enclosed. It is on the southside of our home an receive good sun from early in the morning until about 4 - 5pm. It has a spill over spa and 2 water features so it is pretty aireated. It is about 80 degrees right now and will get up to 86 - 88 by the end of summer.

I can warm up the pool earlier in the summer by A) turning on my pool heater (I don;t do this) B) Turn down/off the water features, especially at night. C) Hot tub often and spill it into the pool.

I prefer the pool around 82 - 84.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:20 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,282,212 times
It's going to take a few days of solid sun for the water temps to rise. The water going into the initial fill was probably pretty chilly. The screen is going to cost you a few degrees, but I guess you'll have to wait and see exactly how much.

My pool was at 85 degrees this afternoon, but it gets full sun from dawn to dusk with no shadows or screen. In the late summer, when the pool temps cross 90, I can cheat and lower the temp sharply for a few hours by shutting off the skimmer and just drawing water from 8 1/2 feet down.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:15 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times
I was in the other night at 6PM... water temperature was 82, air temperature was 90. It was perfect.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:34 PM

Ours is up to 83

Old 05-28-2014, 01:27 AM

693 posts, read 1,137,762 times
Thanks everyone for your coments.

I am still in Germany for a couple of more weeks but am going to check with my family at the house and see what the temperature is at. Hopefully we are matching your numbers!

@ Prius: what time did you take that temp?

Old 05-28-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post
Thanks everyone for your coments.

I am still in Germany for a couple of more weeks but am going to check with my family at the house and see what the temperature is at. Hopefully we are matching your numbers!

@ Prius: what time did you take that temp?
3:00PM, elbow depth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: