Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 09:51 AM

6 posts, read 6,339 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My wife and I have decided to move down that way from Indiana. We both went to college here and found ourselves stuck after I graduated 2 years ago. I have my bachelors in Criminal Justice. We have been looking and applying to jobs but it seems as though nobody wants someone relocating? I have the money to relocate but need a job before we move (only makes sense). I know the job market may not be the best but with a degree, you would think you would have interest.
Does anyone know about employment agencies that would maybe help me from afar? I am down to work any full-time, reliable and decent pay job. Just want to get out of this state! My wife didn't grow up in Indiana and absolutely hates it so I need some guidance. We love tampa into st petes.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 10:06 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,783,190 times
I think you really need to visit and knock on doors.

I doubt a distant employment agency would do anything other than take your money.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:12 PM

16 posts, read 15,764 times
Do you know someone in Florida who would let you use their addresson your applications? Also, I read you can get a google voice phone number with any area code you desire. Might help if those hiring thought you were local while reviewing your application.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:16 PM

790 posts, read 1,258,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccallfam View Post
I know the job market may not be the best but with a degree, you would think you would have interest.
I think you should get this notion out of your head that having a generic overpriced piece of paper will automatically get you a job in this day and age.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:58 PM

464 posts, read 640,672 times
One of you will have to come out here, find a cheap rental (i.e., shared housing, roommate) get a job, then the other one can join them. Unless you have very deep pockets and savings to carry you for 6 months as you both job search here. It's a tough fact of life that there are far more applicants for jobs, just about anywhere and employers can be choosy as far as hiring a local who 'checks' out with local references for work/rent/mortgage/background. There are some specialized jobs that are immune to this rule, but not too many.

My brother had to do this decades ago in a different economic downturn. He moved to another state and rented a room, found a job then had to wait on the sale of their condo, before his wife and kids could join him. Wasn't easy then, isn't easy now. But it worked out; took them 6 months before they were all together again. But he drove home almost every weekend while they were apart (seven hour drive!).

If you want something bad enough, you make it happen.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:08 AM

693 posts, read 1,132,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfporter View Post
If you want something bad enough, you make it happen.
True words!

Old 05-29-2014, 06:16 PM

5,904 posts, read 7,234,537 times
They cost of living is substantially more here than in most of Indiana (depending on exactly where in Indiana you are.) Insurance (car) can easily be 3-5 times what you pay in the Midwest, for example. Yes, you don't pay state, county or local income tax, but it's far from a wash. Housing is more expensive as well.

If you're looking at criminal justice careers they pay even worse here than they do in Indiana. Not to mention in this area, at least in Hillsborough County, many are Civil Service jobs. This means you get screened for each application before you can even be considered for the position, and then there is a cattle call for interviews.

As I have told numerous people here as well as potential applicants when I was a hiring manager, if I see a resume with an out of state address it went in the "No" pile almost immediately. Too much hassle with people self-relocating, many of which either bail in a relatively short period of time or become lousy employees because they're dealing with the angst, expense and hassles of trying to move and can't focus on their job.

About the only way someone will consider you is if you have a local address and phone number. You can do this any number of ways:

Find someone you know down here to let you use their address for a mail drop;

Use a mail forwarding service, such as Maiboxes Plus, the UPS Store, etc.;

Get a Google Voice number with an 813 or 727 area code;

Get a prepaid phone with an 813 or 727 area code.

If you do this you better have the resources to be able to come down here on short notice, as in plane ticket.

I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer, just realistic. The job market here is such that there are plenty of local candidates unless you have a highly specialized trade or very in-demand skill set.

I grew up there and moved back a few years ago. One of the worst decisions in my life. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

RM

Old 05-31-2014, 09:35 AM

I never said a "generic" piece of paper would easily get me a job. I know the market is rough!

I took advice about the phone and address. Going to apply to a few more jobs today.

Thanks!

Old 05-31-2014, 10:00 AM

4,091 posts, read 5,973,138 times
Tampa is known for not being friendly to people with degrees. It's one of the biggest reasons that, once people graduate, they move.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:14 AM

What in the world do they do then? So many people want experience over degrees. Younger generation is doomed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay