Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 08:04 PM

790 posts, read 1,267,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentals1 View Post
looking for a better quality of life
lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
but there isn't a single street in Largo I wouldn't walk down at night.
As you sit comfortably behind the safety of your computer...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 08:09 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,892,988 times
Quote:
I think the comment about Largo is way off base though. There are some not so nice areas of Largo, but there is certainly nothing worthy of being "avoided". Maybe I'm just jaded because I've spent time in cities where there are REAL bad areas, but there isn't a single street in Largo I wouldn't walk down at night.
From a different perspective, I would not walk down any road in Largo.....day or night.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:26 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,054,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
From a different perspective, I would not walk down any road in Largo.....day or night.
And I can't imagine how anyone could have that perspective, but then again there are people that are afraid to step outside of their little gated communities.

I live in Clearwater now, But I went to Largo High and actually lived inside Largo from 2004 to early 2008 and while I didn't like the area, it was certainly not unsafe. I've been to Chicago, St. Louis, Kansas City and even some of the seedier parts of Tampa and St. Pete that I would tell people to stay out of, but no places like that exist in Largo.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:44 AM

Quote:
And I can't imagine how anyone could have that perspective, but then again there are people that are afraid to step outside of their little gated communities.

I live in Clearwater now, But I went to Largo High and actually lived inside Largo from 2004 to early 2008 and while I didn't like the area, it was certainly not unsafe. I've been to Chicago, St. Louis, Kansas City and even some of the seedier parts of Tampa and St. Pete that I would tell people to stay out of, but no places like that exist in Largo.
No doubt it is not nearly as bad as Chicago, but it is still more risky than many other places I choose to frequent. I have no need to be there, therefore no need to take a chance and if someone looking for a place to live then they should look elsewhere......JMO of course.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:24 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,646,579 times
I was at the Largo Mall yesterday shopping and lunch (panera)...it's fine...but when you come off the Bayside bridge you are hit with bail bonds,pawn shops and "gentleman's" clubs in the Pinellas Park area...it just has a seedy feel...but the mall area feels safe...I just don't think Largo screams family area...you have rich and poor not a huge midddle class population...Also all the construction on Ulmerton road makes driving a headache...I wouldn't chose to live there...it's more like a place you wind up in...

Old 06-09-2014, 11:55 AM

790 posts, read 1,267,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I was at the Largo Mall yesterday shopping and lunch (panera)...it's fine...but when you come off the Bayside bridge you are hit with bail bonds,pawn shops and "gentleman's" clubs in the Pinellas Park area...it just has a seedy feel...but the mall area feels safe...I just don't think Largo screams family area...you have rich and poor not a huge midddle class population...Also all the construction on Ulmerton road makes driving a headache...I wouldn't chose to live there...it's more like a place you wind up in...
Why do people in Florida as a whole seem so sketchy and shady?

Old 06-09-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
Some do, some don't. I have lived in about 26 different locations around the country and all of them have some that do and some that don't. I am unaware of any place on the planet inhabited with people that have only unsketchy or unshady people. Are you?

Old 06-09-2014, 01:17 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,646,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
I know my late father always maintained that California used to be the land of the kookey people...but then it got too expensive and Florida seemed like a logical next place(good weather and cheaper living)...that is a completely "unscientific" observation...but it does seem like plausible one...!

Old 06-09-2014, 03:03 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,054,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
No doubt it is not nearly as bad as Chicago, but it is still more risky than many other places I choose to frequent.
What places could those possibly be? Unless they are lily white suburbs or very rural areas I just can't see how that could be true.

Quote:
I have no need to be there, therefore no need to take a chance and if someone looking for a place to live then they should look elsewhere......JMO of course.
Largo is a rather large area and advising someone to stay away because you, personally, are too scared to visit, is rather silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
The high concentration of bail bonds on the southside of the Bayside is easily explainable considering the Pinellas Criminal Justice Center is literally right down the street, so that is where the market for those services tends to be concentrated. There are strip clubs all up and down U.S 19, no matter which city (or county, even) you happen to be.

Pinellas Park is not attractive at all, but it's much more low class/redneck than it is dangerous...for the most part.

Largo has plenty of "family friendly" living available. The areas immediately north and south of 8th Avenue Southwest (Taylor Park area) are very nice, as as the areas up and down Starkey and Belcher and north of East Bay Drive.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
What places could those possibly be? Unless they are lily white suburbs or very rural areas I just can't see how that could be true.

Largo is a rather large area and advising someone to stay away because you, personally, are too scared to visit, is rather silly.

The high concentration of bail bonds on the southside of the Bayside is easily explainable considering the Pinellas Criminal Justice Center is literally right down the street, so that is where the market for those services tends to be concentrated. There are strip clubs all up and down U.S 19, no matter which city (or county, even) you happen to be.

Pinellas Park is not attractive at all, but it's much more low class/redneck than it is dangerous...for the most part.

Largo has plenty of "family friendly" living available. The areas immediately north and south of 8th Avenue Southwest (Taylor Park area) are very nice, as as the areas up and down Starkey and Belcher and north of East Bay Drive.
I guess you do not know what JMO means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay