Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the below do you think would make the Bay Area a better place to live?
Cheaper Taxes 15 40.54%
Cheaper Insurance 15 40.54%
More Roads 10 27.03%
Better Schools 10 27.03%
More/Better Colleges 4 10.81%
Mass Transit 18 48.65%
More Smart Growth 15 40.54%
alot less people 2 5.41%
Fewer Conservatives 11 29.73%
Fewer Liberals 4 10.81%
More Fortune 500 Companies 11 29.73%
Better Museums/Arts Scene 11 29.73%
Better NightLife 10 27.03%
More Cruises 4 10.81%
Grow the Airport/Port 4 10.81%
Better Jobs 16 43.24%
A signature landmark, ala Arch in St Louis, Space needle, Washington Monument 6 16.22%
Better leaders 5 13.51%
More Strip Clubs!!! 1 2.70%
A Bay Area Govt instead of all the seperate cities/counties 4 10.81%
A national TV show based out of the Area (think Oprah) 4 10.81%
More Immigrants 1 2.70%
Less Immigrants 8 21.62%
More/Better Shopping 4 10.81%
A nude beach! 7 18.92%
Other 2 5.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 08:02 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,458,760 times

Advertisements

What would it take to improve Tampa and the Bay Area?

More Roads?
Mass Transit?
More Smart Growth?
More Colleges?

What?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 08:12 PM

and make sure you justify your thoughts!

if you want mass transit, how would you pay for it, esp if you propose less taxes.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:15 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Nude beach. Definitely. With hott chicks. Then that would solve the strip club problem, or the lack thereof, since although Tampa may have plenty of strip clubs, including the worlds finest Mons Venus, it's still not quite on the same page as Fort Lauderdale in this regard. Sucks being number two. Fewer conservative and fewer liberals would be nice too. That would equal fewer people. The libertarians can stay though, because that would make Tampa a much better place. Although the American Nazi Party can't stay.

I'm really sorry, I'm feeling especially sarcastic today . But seriously, this is a great thread idea. Make a thread like this in the Miami forum and I will give you a serious reply.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 12-15-2007 at 08:41 PM..

Old 12-16-2007, 08:17 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,244,035 times
I think the major downfalls of Tampa is that it is soooo spread out and there is no transportation system. Also, because it is sooo spread out, I actually have to drive about 30 minutes to get to any sort of reasonable nightlife, hence the more nightlife. Also, we need to rethink the whole strip mall idea.
Regarding those who say less taxes, that's good and all, but do you already realize that Tampa has very little taxes. I'm sure you would all want to hold on to more of your money, but that would definitly be to the detriment of Tampa.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
I think the major downfalls of Tampa is that it is soooo spread out and there is no transportation system. Also, because it is sooo spread out, I actually have to drive about 30 minutes to get to any sort of reasonable nightlife, hence the more nightlife. Also, we need to rethink the whole strip mall idea.
Regarding those who say less taxes, that's good and all, but do you already realize that Tampa has very little taxes. I'm sure you would all want to hold on to more of your money, but that would definitly be to the detriment of Tampa.
So, what would be your plan?

Old 12-16-2007, 08:45 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,376,422 times
Quote:
So it sounds to me that would like to have more nightlife in your neck of the woods(USF area/Tampa Plams?-which is on the outskirts of the city), or Mass Transit to take you into the city where the nightlife is already established(Hyde Park, Channelside, Ybor, South Tampa). Correct? The transit situation will be handled but not for at least another 5 years in your area....when I went to school at USF from 87 to 92, there was actually more happening spots up along Fletcher and Fowler Avenue than exist today, and I guess that's due to places like Ybor, Channelside, SOHO and Bay Streetn which have all taken off in the past 10 years or so.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
What would it take to improve Tampa and the Bay Area?

More Roads?
Mass Transit?
More Smart Growth?
More Colleges?

What?
For me, Id say Cheaper Insurance, but thats more of a State issue, im really not familiar but maybe alot more competition among Insurance Agencies coming into the state, and banning those companies that wont offer all lines of insurance if the offer it(like MetLife offering Auto, but not Home in most places in Florida - if you want to sell Auto in our state, than you need to provide Home as well)

..and Mass Transit which is being brought back to the table again(Thanks Pam), but needs better organization amongst the REGION, and i'd say the half penny tax amongst the REGION, or even better, a tax on beer/liquor sales(this town drinks enough of it-we could pay for the whole system after one Gasparilla Festival ), or even an added fee for DUI arrests, as Hillsborough County has the highest percentage of DUI arrests in the state.

...and less Property Taxes(although I bought my home 8 years ago so mine arent too bad, but if I want to move.....), i'm for a 2 cent sales tax all around to rid the property tax on primary homes.

...and More smart growth..DENSITY, DENSITY in the inner core(downtown), continue rehab historic or delapated areas with reasonable housing(like West Tampa, East Tampa), STOP urban sprawl or if you build on the outskirts, infrastructure first, paying attention to ecology/nature, having town centers in each community.

Last edited by tampaguy03; 12-16-2007 at 09:05 AM..

Old 12-16-2007, 01:06 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,244,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
So, what would be your plan?
I would agree with tampaguy. More smart growth and denser areas. Less chains and more focus on smaller, independent business throught the city. Mass transit, even starting with the core of the city would help (this isn't a huge issue for me but I think it would help to bring more people to the city/help those who have to take mass transit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
So it sounds to me that would like to have more nightlife in your neck of the woods(USF area/Tampa Plams?-which is on the outskirts of the city), or Mass Transit to take you into the city where the nightlife is already established(Hyde Park, Channelside, Ybor, South Tampa). Correct? The transit situation will be handled but not for at least another 5 years in your area....when I went to school at USF from 87 to 92, there was actually more happening spots up along Fletcher and Fowler Avenue than exist today, and I guess that's due to places like Ybor, Channelside, SOHO and Bay Streetn which have all taken off in the past 10 years or so.
When I chose to live in my area, I realized that it was a more suburban feel, but honestly, yes, more non-chain nightlife would be good!! I probably would have chose to live in Hyde Park or Channelside had it had denser areas that reminded me more of a big city. Those neighborhoods definitly have more of a city feel than mine, but for the price difference, I didn't think it was worth it yet. You can see my comments above about mass transit. It would be really nice, but they should focus on the more dense areas and less far out areas first! Mass transit is difficult in Tampa....I can't imagine how long it would take to get across town with that because it's so spread out! Again, I think Tampa's a nice place but there is room for improvement in every city.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
I would agree with tampaguy. More smart growth and denser areas. Less chains and more focus on smaller, independent business throught the city. Mass transit, even starting with the core of the city would help (this isn't a huge issue for me but I think it would help to bring more people to the city/help those who have to take mass transit)

When I chose to live in my area, I realized that it was a more suburban feel, but honestly, yes, more non-chain nightlife would be good!! I probably would have chose to live in Hyde Park or Channelside had it had denser areas that reminded me more of a big city. Those neighborhoods definitly have more of a city feel than mine, but for the price difference, I didn't think it was worth it yet. You can see my comments above about mass transit. It would be really nice, but they should focus on the more dense areas and less far out areas first! Mass transit is difficult in Tampa....I can't imagine how long it would take to get across town with that because it's so spread out! Again, I think Tampa's a nice place but there is room for improvement in every city.
Most of the mom and pop, non chain retail can be found within the city limits in areas like South Tampa, West Tampa, the Heights areas(Tampa, Seminole, Riverside Heights)...any area on the outskirts of the city limits will probably have been built within the past 20 years or sooner, and strip centers and chains are king for the suburbs. Not sure why that is...

I like the density we have now in areas like Hyde Park/SOHO, along Bayshore Blvd and South Tampa, and hope that it never gets like Chicago, New York, Boston, Philly, etc...this is Tampa....but the downtown core(where the skyscrapers are) should be getting it on with more residential density...im looking forward to seeing downtown with 10,000 residents by the year 2010. The streetcar will be finished to make a full loop throughout downtown to ybor and channelside and back throughout downtown, and they have already started the late night trolley service throughout downtown that now runs every 10 minutes through 2am. Light rail will just be coming on board around then for downtown to areas like South Tampa, USF/New Tampa, Airport/Westshore, and East Tampa/Brandon. The transit service right now just isnt as user friendly...I have a stop a block from my house in South Tampa, but it only comes by once an hour from 5am to 9pm only.(Hartline.org)

Old 12-16-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
Most of the mom and pop, non chain retail can be found within the city limits in areas like South Tampa, West Tampa, the Heights areas(Tampa, Seminole, Riverside Heights)...any area on the outskirts of the city limits will probably have been built within the past 20 years or sooner, and strip centers and chains are king for the suburbs. Not sure why that is...

I like the density we have now in areas like Hyde Park/SOHO, along Bayshore Blvd and South Tampa, and hope that it never gets like Chicago, New York, Boston, Philly, etc...this is Tampa....but the downtown core(where the skyscrapers are) should be getting it on with more residential density...im looking forward to seeing downtown with 10,000 residents by the year 2010. The streetcar will be finished to make a full loop throughout downtown to ybor and channelside and back throughout downtown, and they have already started the late night trolley service throughout downtown that now runs every 10 minutes through 2am. Light rail will just be coming on board around then for downtown to areas like South Tampa, USF/New Tampa, Airport/Westshore, and East Tampa/Brandon. The transit service right now just isnt as user friendly...I have a stop a block from my house in South Tampa, but it only comes by once an hour from 5am to 9pm only.(Hartline.org)
umm, id say your going to have a MUCH longer wait for light rail...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay