Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 11:21 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,320,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Night night doggy
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 12:38 PM

626 posts, read 1,348,641 times
Why is this little girl hugging her neighbors dog anyways? Ok, so ya its sad that her face is messed up but its only like that out of her and her mom's ignorance. You teach your kids to leave other people's dogs alone because they are not YOURS...or ask to pet them WHEN their owner is around...not to just go up and hug your neighbor's dog because you want to or because youve done it for 10 months. This mother is the one to blame...she shouldve taught her child differently...now she wants to try and make a huge pay day by suing the neighbor? Ridiculous, go take a parenting class instead.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:35 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,577,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Night night doggy
Lol...reminds me of the alligator hunters on TV, they'll say "Goodnight Sweetheart" after shooting one.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:08 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,801,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMissAshley View Post
7-year-old bit on cheek by neighbor's dog during hug

Yet another one of these stories in the news. Why are people so outrageous and quick to kill an animal due to their own ignorance and negligence? What if we always resorted to euthanize young people who picked fights and bullied classmates or adults who caused car accidents, minor theft, etc. It's the same mentality, except worse IMO because we as humans know right from wrong for our actions whereas animals resort to animal instincts. Yet we put Sparky down and watch Guy, who just murdered his cousin, walk out on bail.

I have sympathy for the Mom, it's horrible that her child was attacked, but her demands for the dog to be put down or taken away are selfish and ignorant. This woman is outrageous and also filing a law suit. I hope she loses considering she allowed her daughter to go up to the dog. Why is it people, especially parents, do not understand that a domestic animal still has the potential to act on it's animal instincts? Don't let your children near someone else's animal or let alone own an animal if you don't understand and respect that there is always a potential of that animal acting out.

Stupid throw-away society.
It's not that the dog is being "punished" by being euthanized. It's being euthanized to protect other humans from being bitten by it in the future. This bite was more than just a little warning nip or irritated bite. It peeled off a chunk of the little girl's face. There is something wrong with a dog that does that.

Apparently, the little girl knew the dog well and had played with it frequently in the past. It's not like she went running up to some strange animal and stupidly threw her arms around it.

While I disagree with the law suit, I do agree the woman should push to have the dog put down.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:20 AM

633 posts, read 1,012,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
It's not that the dog is being "punished" by being euthanized. It's being euthanized to protect other humans from being bitten by it in the future. This bite was more than just a little warning nip or irritated bite. It peeled off a chunk of the little girl's face. There is something wrong with a dog that does that.

Apparently, the little girl knew the dog well and had played with it frequently in the past. It's not like she went running up to some strange animal and stupidly threw her arms around it.

While I disagree with the law suit, I do agree the woman should push to have the dog put down.
I do agree. HOWEVER it is the parents responsibility to teach the child that dogs are not always reliable, the dog could have been provoked by something else, and the girl came along, and then it bit her. Neighbors dog is the Neighbors dog, not a dog living in her house with her family. You have no way of knowing how the dog was raised, what was taught, etc. Apparently "no biting" was not one of the rules on the list in that house.

I did not see the breed of dog mentioned. Would love to know.

The dog owner AND the girls parents are both at fault here, in my opinion. Dog and girl, unwitting participants, and the results of not being taught...i.e., "no biting" and "don't hug other peoples dogs."

Old 06-23-2014, 04:41 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Very sad story and I think the lawyer will be the winner in this case...

From what I read in the newspaper the girl went to the fence daily to pet the dog by leaning over the fence or putting her hands through the fence and nothing happened. One day the dog was on a leash and the girl went over and this happened...the dog reacted as animal do when they can be scared or approached in a different way. People tend to forget they are animals and not robots.

The mom and niet her the kid asked if they could pet the dog but just went to the dog...that is usually making at least the mom/kid 50 % guilty and perhaps fully responsible even though this sounds very cold hearted it is just a statement from what I have seen in court cases with dogs involved.

In my opinion people need to start to understand that dogs are animals. When we walk our dogs we have many times that kids run towards our dogs and sometimes we are talking or on the phone and don't even realize they approach since our dogs may be sniffing something and we are looking the other way and in a second kids approach and start to stretch their arms and hands out and our dogs are friendly, never bit anyone but they are not used to small kids since our kids are older. Our dogs are used to many strangers but usually adults who react different.

On top of that when dogs are getting older they may respond different than when they are younger.

Dogs are animals and react as animals can do. In this case no breed was mentioned in the article i read the other day so my response is based on any kind of breed or mud but we all know that certain breeds will have a stronger bite and/or do more damage than other dogs.

When will people take responsibility for their own naive behavior. Kids are kids and don't realize what a dog can do or a cat who's scratches can be very painful.

Why should this dog be euthanized? The dog was on a leash and the girl went to the dog...not a vicious dog who run towards the girl and just started to bite...this dog might have been scared or taken by surprise.

I don't understand the lawsuit. Some things are very sad, a tragedy and everyone wishes the clock could be turned back but that doesn't make it a lawsuit....of course this is how a lawyer makes money or their 15 min. of fame but it doesn't allow someone to cash in. The girls parent should use their health ins.and hopefully they have ins.

I also read the mom wants the tenants out or at least the dog out but it seems her daughter went to the fence daily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMissAshley View Post
7-year-old bit on cheek by neighbor's dog during hug

Yet another one of these stories in the news. Why are people so outrageous and quick to kill an animal due to their own ignorance and negligence? What if we always resorted to euthanize young people who picked fights and bullied classmates or adults who caused car accidents, minor theft, etc. It's the same mentality, except worse IMO because we as humans know right from wrong for our actions whereas animals resort to animal instincts. Yet we put Sparky down and watch Guy, who just murdered his cousin, walk out on bail.

I have sympathy for the Mom, it's horrible that her child was attacked, but her demands for the dog to be put down or taken away are selfish and ignorant. This woman is outrageous and also filing a law suit. I hope she loses considering she allowed her daughter to go up to the dog. Why is it people, especially parents, do not understand that a domestic animal still has the potential to act on it's animal instincts? Don't let your children near someone else's animal or let alone own an animal if you don't understand and respect that there is always a potential of that animal acting out.

Stupid throw-away society.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:24 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,012,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving4Ca View Post
I do agree. HOWEVER it is the parents responsibility to teach the child that dogs are not always reliable, the dog could have been provoked by something else, and the girl came along, and then it bit her. Neighbors dog is the Neighbors dog, not a dog living in her house with her family. You have no way of knowing how the dog was raised, what was taught, etc. Apparently "no biting" was not one of the rules on the list in that house.

I did not see the breed of dog mentioned. Would love to know.

The dog owner AND the girls parents are both at fault here, in my opinion. Dog and girl, unwitting participants, and the results of not being taught...i.e., "no biting" and "don't hug other peoples dogs."
The girls parents are as responsible as any parents are when something happens to their kid. If your child gets abducted then people say where was the parent, wasnt the kid thought to yell or not to talk to strangers, you are always responsible for your kid and you can always rationalize it as something the parents could have done differently, but anyone who has kids can tell you its impossible to keep your eyes on them 100% of the time it will drive you crazy and its not good for them they need to develop independence, I use to ride the subway go where I needed to go when I was 12, I swear if I drop my 12 yo daughter 5 blocks from my house I dont know that she could get back (exaggerating she probably could). At any rate, I dont quite get this whole dogs are dogs thing, i have this continuing discussion with my wife who apparently had a couple of family dogs bite her mom and had to be given away, which is something I cant comprehend giving my dog away, I couldnt, I grew up with dogs as far back as i can remember aside from a doberman who went blind the last months of her life, all of my dogs wouldnt think about biting anyone, I mean I didnt know what they were thinking but they never did and I always roughhouse with the dogs aside from nips, I guess to me a dog has to be neglected and abused to be violent.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:48 AM

790 posts, read 1,269,150 times
I really hate idiots that think their dog is more precious than another human life. Dogs are just that...dogs and CLEAN UP AFTER YOUR DOG .

Last edited by Sunscape; 06-23-2014 at 09:18 AM..

Old 06-23-2014, 07:16 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
I really hate idiots that think their dog is more precious than another human life. Dogs are just that...dogs and CLEAN UP AFTER YOUR DOG !
grumpy today, aren't we - someone in your cheerios this a.m.?

Last edited by Sunscape; 06-23-2014 at 09:19 AM..

Old 06-23-2014, 07:26 AM

790 posts, read 1,269,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
grumpy today, aren't we - someone **** in your cheerios this a.m.?

the sad part is im only 29
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay