Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 01:27 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times

Advertisements

This is an old thread but FWIW, I shop around but I will gladly pay a little more to support locally owned and operated Publix.

Overall, I think Aldis is the cheapest but they don't have a large selection of anything. I recently bought bananas ($.44 per pound) and grapes ($3.29 for 2 pounds) at Aldis. Out of curiousity I checked prices at WM and bananas were $.59 per pound and grapes were $3.49 per pound. I asked a clerk to make sure and she verified it was per pound. Two times over - WOW!

I usually know the approximate price of what I'm buying and I don't just throw stuff in a cart for convenience. Eggs, milk and a lot of other food items have gotten more expensive. I don't know why but they can't blame it on rising energy costs anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 01:50 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
FWIW, while Publix is waay overated, Walmart isn't cheap as many think it is. If you really pay attention and check unit prices (not package but unit prices that is price per ounce), you will find that Sam's probably is 10 times cheaper than Walmart. I have a proof to back that up with many items.

Publix is my emergency kind of shop on my way home or a quick pick up otherwise there are ton of other options. Waay overrated for what you get. They are good in selling "where shopping is a pleasure" crap . And all these coupon that people talk about is for junk I probably can't use half of it. Buying cheap things that you don't need is very expensive, if you ask me.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:15 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmaticus View Post
FWIW, while Publix is waay overated, Walmart isn't cheap as many think it is. If you really pay attention and check unit prices (not package but unit prices that is price per ounce), you will find that Sam's probably is 10 times cheaper than Walmart. I have a proof to back that up with many items.

Publix is my emergency kind of shop on my way home or a quick pick up otherwise there are ton of other options. Waay overrated for what you get. They are good in selling "where shopping is a pleasure" crap . And all these coupon that people talk about is for junk I probably can't use half of it. Buying cheap things that you don't need is very expensive, if you ask me.
overrated depending on what/how much value you put on what, I value the things publix is trying to sell me on (shopping is pleasure/cleanliness) I do think Publix is more expensive even with the BOGO's, there was a time where i would argue that Publix was just as cheap but it isnt, i dont think it has to be there is a lot of people that value the convenience/shopping experience over the 5% difference in most items.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:59 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
overrated depending on what/how much value you put on what, I value the things publix is trying to sell me on (shopping is pleasure/cleanliness) I do think Publix is more expensive even with the BOGO's, there was a time where i would argue that Publix was just as cheap but it isnt, i dont think it has to be there is a lot of people that value the convenience/shopping experience over the 5% difference in most items.
I agree. I readily admit their prices are very high on many things, but not always. And Publix is always a regular part of my shopping.

I do buy a few things at Walmart, but have had to throw quite a bit out due to it spoiling, being bad or whatever. And it isn't all that cheap. The store near me is only two years old, but it is a dump.

I shop ALDI, Trader Joe's, Publix and occasionally Super Target.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:49 PM

9 posts, read 15,664 times
My personal shopping experience has been:

Publix - Not sure how it compares pricewise, but I like what I get there. I am sure it is not the cheapest, but I do appreciate the customer service, and I don't find it as expensive as Whole Foods. I like that I have a choice of brands and a wide selection. Produce can be spotty: sometimes it is good, sometimes not as good. Seasonal produce is (obviously) more likely to be better. This winter I have especially enjoyed the delicious mandarin oranges that Publix sells by the bag. I take advantage of BOGOs. I like the seafood counter.

Winn Dixie - Haven't been there in quite awhile, but the one close to me, while less expensive, was kind of run down. I was not impressed. I don't remember them having the selection Publix has.

Whole Foods - The most expensive option that I have personally shopped. Whole Foods is great for specialty foods shopping, but I personally would not buy all of my groceries there.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:54 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
I haven't shopped at Wal-Mart since quitting there... about six years ago, so I can't comment on their food or prices. But I'll put my money on the fact that they haven't worked out customer service or decent food. Then again, if you're shopping there, you're probably pretty bad off to begin with. I'll gladly spend the extra 10 cents an item at Publix and have a better experience, know that the employees are treated better (I worked at both!), know that the frozen food doesn't sit out for hours, know that the food is better quality, etc. It should say something when Wal-Mart tried to put Publix out by doing the BOGO's themselves and ended up having to end the program instead.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:45 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
I've been shopping at my local Walmart for the last five years since moving here and have yet to get sick from their frozen or refrigerated food sitting in the hot FLA sun as you describe. I've written into the website on several occasions given props to employees who've helped me in the auto, online sales, and other departments - and have had Walmart call me several times thanking me for the feedback. The store has pretty much everything that I need. I go to the other stores and can't believe the prices that they charge. I'm no cheapskate, but for example if you're going to offer BOGO and then jack up the price of the item, that's downright fraud, imo, and that's what Winn Dixie and Publix like to do.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:03 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,126,271 times
Walmart is still the #1 store that is putting the squeeze on the other grocery stores around here. They have more money to build their market stores and are doing just that. They are building them everywere.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:12 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times
We buy the majority of our food supplies at our local weekly Fresh Market in Gulfport. Seafood we buy at local seafood sellers. Most meats we buy at a very good and reasonable local smokehouse.

For other household products we shop a few times a month. Before we head out I check online for sales and go to either Publix or Winn Dixie.

Won't shop Walmart, even though it's closer to us than the other grocery stores. Don't like their corporate policies.

Looking forward to the opening of Trader Joe's in St. Pete next month. We shopped TJ's in DC-Metro weekly when we lived there.

We used to shop Costco a lot when lived in DC area, but the drive to our nearest Costco in Clearwater isn't worth the hassle.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:42 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onmywayhome View Post
My personal shopping experience has been:

Publix - Not sure how it compares pricewise, but I like what I get there. I am sure it is not the cheapest, but I do appreciate the customer service, and I don't find it as expensive as Whole Foods. I like that I have a choice of brands and a wide selection. Produce can be spotty: sometimes it is good, sometimes not as good. Seasonal produce is (obviously) more likely to be better. This winter I have especially enjoyed the delicious mandarin oranges that Publix sells by the bag. I take advantage of BOGOs. I like the seafood counter.

Winn Dixie - Haven't been there in quite awhile, but the one close to me, while less expensive, was kind of run down. I was not impressed. I don't remember them having the selection Publix has.

Whole Foods - The most expensive option that I have personally shopped. Whole Foods is great for specialty foods shopping, but I personally would not buy all of my groceries there.
OMG! I love those oranges. We ran out and I had to have a regular orange this morning. Very disappointing once you have been spoiled. Luckily, my wife is back home and is at Publix this very minute. Hope she remembers the oranges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay