Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 10:07 PM

11 posts, read 15,939 times

Advertisements

Polk County is dump straight up.Look at the crime rate,etc. I would AVOID.Move to Osceola County nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 03:38 PM
TD* TD* started this thread

1,695 posts, read 4,141,556 times
I am still waiting on a possible interview for the position.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:21 PM

147 posts, read 211,818 times
Try again. Polk's crime rate is lower than both Osceola and Orange. I wouldn't exactly call this a dump...TD good luck with your interview! Hopefully, you hear something soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac212 View Post
Polk County is dump straight up.Look at the crime rate,etc. I would AVOID.Move to Osceola County nearby.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:13 PM

219 posts, read 377,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac212 View Post
Not to be rude, but I literally laughed out loud when I read this. There are parts of Osceola County that are high crime/dangerous. Look at how Kissimmee/St. Cloud has changed over the years.

There are good and bad "parts of town" in every community. You just have to know where to go.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:19 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Polk county is HUGE, and is definitely NOT a "dump." Some towns like Bartow are kind of dumpy, IMO, but Lakeland and Winter Haven are gorgeous. The abundance of lakes almost make them seem coastal. We lived in Lakeland for two years and were hugely impressed with that little city. They invested MILLIONS in the downtown to restore it - it has vintage charm of years gone by with many independent shops and eateries, all surrounding a beautiful park. Then there is the Lake Mirror with it's vintage promenade all around, formal Hollis Gardens, amphitheater, children's park and more. Lakeland has more public parks for the community than anywhere I have ever lived or been in Florida (and I am a native). People that say it's a "dump" are usually ignorant people who have never even visited the city, they go by hearsay or what they can see from the interstate (which may go through a bad part of town.)

Anyway, good luck TD - Lakeland is a beautiful place to live. Best neighborhoods are on the southside of town. If you want older with character near downtown, go southside downtown with south Lake Morton, or Lake Hollingsworth area. There are many nice planned communities (older) further south in Lakeland Highlands.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,208 times
Default Polk County, FL

I have lived in Winter Haven for 38 yrs. Having lived in 3 other states as well, I think I am qualified to tell you a little bit. Yes, things have changed, but they have everywhere. Crime is everywhere as well as drugs, not just in Polk County. There is a more relaxed, country feel than other places but is close enough to Orlando or Tampa if you need shopping which is not available here and lots of traffic. Jobs are scarce everywhere also. 1 of my kids lives in Calf., can't find work and gas was over $4.00/gallon. Another is in AZ and can't find work. 1 lives in a city with over 6 million people and work is very hard to find. But then 1/3 of this country is out of work.... so it isn't just Polk County. Have friends in NC and the pay is horrible. It is everywhere. Personally, I think it is a decent place to live and the cost of living is fair.
If you look at what is going on in the world today, anyone can see that we are living in dangerous times and that is everywhere.
Winter Haven's better sections are in the SE area of town. Enjoy seeing the lakes "everywhere" and yes, there are also rednecks. But it is a good town. On a scale of 1-10, I would give it a 7.5.
Hope you find what your looking for.

Last edited by SandyattheBeach; 10-28-2014 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: change wording

Old 10-29-2014, 10:59 AM

299 posts, read 377,888 times
I live in Lakeland and am from Riverview. My family has been in Polk County since the 1860's.

I love Lakeland. It has a nice downtown area and still has a small town feel. I can be at the Tampa airport in 45 minutes, or the Orlando airport in 1 Hour and 10 minutes. It is nice to have a choice of airports.
Family and friends live in Winter Haven, Auburndale, Haines City. Lakeland is larger and in my opinion nicer.

Thought about moving back to Riverview, but just to much traffic.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:30 AM

26 posts, read 19,574 times
There is some good information here - thank you! My wife & I are looking to move to the Lakeland area this summer, or early fall. I work security (many years of experience, including ex-military security), and my wife is a nationally known artist. We are probably going to be looking at southeast Lakeland - probably somewhere between Bartow, Winterhaven, and / or Auburndale. Does anyone know of private estates or communities, in the area, that hire security?

Old 04-05-2017, 06:29 PM

828 posts, read 692,451 times
I laughed out loud at "Polk County Expert". Most the county deserves its reputation, but I'm sure if you are making good enough money you can find a decent neighborhood.

Old 04-09-2017, 02:46 AM

26 posts, read 19,574 times
There is some good information, in the responses here. Thank you!

My wife & I are seriously considering a move to the Lakeland area. Looking at the map - we were considering the Bartow area - perhaps somewhere near the "Mosaic Peace River Park". In researching the Lakeland area, it appears that north of Main Street, especially the North-East quadrant, has some crime problems. I will be working security, and, I know from past experience, a security officer living in crime-prone areas often gets "targeted". Don't need that - so, we will stay south. Right now, I help provide security for "million-dollar plus" homes, in Austin, TX. I am looking at doing the same in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay