Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 05:40 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times

Advertisements

Police: Woman left infant in hot van during funeral for hit-and-run victims

Aside from if it is really forgetting which we can discuss since to me it sounds weird that when you come home and see your other kids you don't remember you have another one and than decide to go out to eat and nothing was mentioned that the other kids were coming along...which could mean that mom and pap more often went out and leave their kids under the supervision of the 13 yr old.

BUT after all the stories of kids left in the car and maybe a few are intensional like the man who is now in prison and the odds seem to be against him with all the facts coming out, I would expect parents to take actions to avoid forgetting their kids.

Some have mentioned putting your cell phone with the kid near the back seat since hardly anyone forgets his phone or will remember faster than some remember they have kids

Some have stated put one shoe in the back seat since you will remember the shoe and there are more things you can do not to forget your child if that is even needed...

What about just checking the car before walking away, make that a habit but some never even. Lock their doors.

Maybe if penalties will be more harsh than people will learn..now it seems to be an ongoing " forgetting".

Luckily this child seems to be ok in the end.

The irony is that the other kids of the moms who died were not forgotten in a car but their moms died in the car due to another persons actions and they died a cruel death.

This child almost was the victim of another cruel action, intensional or not it is cruel and horrible to be baked in a car.

Btw why was this child taken to the funeral while dad and other kids were at home. In my opinion this child could easily have stayed at home too since this is not really a place to bring a young child where so many people are grieving and unless the entire family went it seemed that they didn't felt they all had to go. Even if this child begged to go than as a parents you sometimes have to say no which is the duty as a parent and this all wouldn't have happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 05:51 AM

464 posts, read 645,881 times
Unfortunately you don't have to pass an IQ test to become a parent.

I don't have any sympathy for these parents. Cases that are intentional/pre-meditated, deserve the death penalty. Those that are accidental.....maybe jail time and sterilization??

Old 07-06-2014, 05:30 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
I say BS to all this forgetting your kids in the car . You don't forget kids in the car plain and simple !!!

Old 07-06-2014, 06:19 PM

I don't remember hearing of this issue years ago...

On face book a woman claiming to be the sister came out stating baynews9 had the story wrong and that the father was at work and the kids were at an aunt. Most comments after the sisters comment were mostly the same, stating that it doesn't change that there is no excuse to forget the child and neither should she have taken the child to a memorial if there was an alternative solution.

Someone even mentioned that she probably didn't forgot to get her welfare check or any other benefits.

The story on baynews9 mentions someone who knows the suspect and is stating she always had the child with her so how can you forget a child that you always bring...it just doesn't ad up. JMO!

Old 07-06-2014, 06:30 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
ok maybe time to build an alarm-- as a baby in seat weight triggers an alarm after door closes in 4 min or motion detectors go off after 5 min of door lock? can't trust parents

Old 07-06-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
ok maybe time to build an alarm-- as a baby in seat weight triggers an alarm after door closes in 4 min or motion detectors go off after 5 min of door lock? can't trust parents
The only thing is that numerous lawsuits will be filed by parents who will claims the alarm didn't go off and than try to cash in millions of dollars since we believe that our kids are priceless but not everyone has that opinion, some have a price tag!

Old 07-06-2014, 08:47 PM

877 posts, read 1,913,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I have one. This is one of my worst fears.

This article explains how people legitimately forget their children in their car. I don't think what happened in Atlanta was an accident like shown in the article below. That guy meant to do it.

Fatal Distraction: Forgetting a Child in the Backseat of a Car Is a Horrifying Mistake. Is It a Crime? - The Washington Post

Old 07-06-2014, 08:49 PM

877 posts, read 1,913,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I don't remember hearing of this issue years ago...
I saw a chart that showed that the increase is in part due to placing children rear-facing in the backseat now. An unintended consequence of the new safety standards. Child death from car accidents have gone down while children dying from being left in cars have gone up.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:30 AM

56 posts, read 110,337 times
"Someone even mentioned that she probably didn't forgot to get her welfare check or any other benefits."

I find it interesting that you focused on this particular point of view within the context of this story. It would be great if you can provide facts that this individual is on public assistance! Thanks !

Old 07-07-2014, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewabby View Post
I saw a chart that showed that the increase is in part due to placing children rear-facing in the backseat now. An unintended consequence of the new safety standards. Child death from car accidents have gone down while children dying from being left in cars have gone up.
Interesting. When my kids were young, like being a baby we had them in the front seat in what was called a maxi-cost and that was faced backwards. We were told by the government that was the way to go and you saw often one parent in the back seat while the other parent or adult was driving the car.

When the kids got older the seats were in the back but not backwards. As a person who easily gets car sick in the back seat I can't even imagine that driving backwards in the back is comfortable.

Isn't there an easy way not to forget your child even back was in the back seat?

Put your credit card or cash near them, your purse or briefcase or play a child music CD while the child is in the car so you know when you get out that the music being played is not your normal music you would listen too?

Since my kids are adults and often driving with one of my dogs in the car who is soundless while being in the car and usually laying on the back seat since if he is in the front seat he will be on my lap the entire time and I rather give myself and my dog more space and more safety although I know I don't use a doggie seatbelt.

Since I don't take my dog to work daily I often look on days he doesn't come with me just to make sure he is not in the car.

Due to the time difference in Europe and speaking with family over there I often speak with them from my car and can get distracted from who or what is in my car (not getting distracted to watch the road since my drivers records is very good) but just by making a habit of checking the car before locking the car is something I believe is an easy thing to get used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay