Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 12:06 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,784,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Also keep in mind that many "sinkhole" homes were not sinkholes, but just normal settling and it was an opportunity for people to abuse the system.....and the insurance companies were stupid enough to allow it.
Let me tell you something. These "sinkhole" homes that were not really sinkhole homes, but something to milk insurance companies never were repaired. So if there was a repair - their were something more serious than "normal settling".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 01:05 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,863,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Let me tell you something. These "sinkhole" homes that were not really sinkhole homes, but something to milk insurance companies never were repaired. So if there was a repair - their were something more serious than "normal settling".
Some got paid out X dollars and used only Y dollars for rip off grout repairs. There were and still are rip off sinkhole repair companies. The grout that disappears over the years.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:14 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,794,647 times
Quote:
This is true. Many homeowners who filed a sinkhole claim took the money and did not repair their home. Our old neighbor filed a claim, won a substantial amount, and then used the money to build himself a nice cabin in NC and is now living there. His home is still unrepaired and now sits empty. He did say he was going to try and sell it, and he probably will … for about 20 or 30K, plummetting the values of the surrounding homes as a consequence. And people WILL buy the house that cheaply … they'll buy it, not repair it, and rent it out. So our neighbor will make out just fine. So will the many others who have followed his lead. And the rest of the homeowners in the neighborhood? Well, they're all paying the price of the loss of home value in the area as well as being surrounded by renters … many of whom are low lifes. It really stinks, especially for those of us who did not abuse the system.

My husband and I took the "high road." We had a sinkhole - a real one, not just settlement issues. We woke up to the sound of tiles popping right off the floor and our windows cracking off the walls. It was terrifying - we thought we were going to end up on the news with our house 40 feet in the ground! We filed a claim, and received about 150K to fix the house. We spent every penny fixing the house. It has at least 40 truckloads of grout beneath it, plus a bunch of chemical grouting. We also had a bunch of interior repairs done - all the tile had to go and the cracks in the walls needed fixing. Later we discovered that although our home was solid as a rock, we could not sell it for even half of what we originally paid for it - no one wanted a sinkhole home, even when it was repaired well! So now we are stuck with the house. Thankfully, we have an excellent tennant in it who is renting it from us. That is what enabled us to finally get the heck out of Spring Hill.

Part of me wishes we would have done like my neighbor so many others, because now we are saddled with a home we will probably never sell for any kind of profit while the others are sitting pretty with new houses or with a fat check in the bank.

Thankfully insurance companies wised up and are no longer forking over the kind of large settlements that destroyed so much of the housing value in Hernando County.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:23 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,071,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
Stupidity or their complicity in the crime so as to profit by raising rates?

So not only might have the insurance companies wound up in better financial position into their future at the continuing expense of homeowners paying higher premiums due to insurance companies by paying out to the bogus claims of con artists; but also, the con artists didn't just steal from the insurance companies (with their permission) but they did so at the expense of neighboring homeowners whose home values degraded due to the con.
The big flow towards sink hole claims came about when HOI rates started to climb. Then the "sinkhole repair" companies started to advertise. Anyone could call anyone of them and get a report back that there is a sinkhole on the property that needs repair. Claim.

Insurance companies caught on and made it harder for people to pocket the money from a sink hole claim settlement. The claims started to slow down. Then they dropped comprehensive coverage from their standard policies. It became an expensive option. Sink hole claims went down further. Some people kept that comprehensive coverage and made claims against it but there has been no where the amount it used to be when the whole scam started off.

Those who pocketed the money from the settlement never had the 'sink hole' repaired.
They paid off mortgages instead. They didnt care about their neighbors. They got theirs.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
You are correct

Old 07-08-2014, 01:29 PM

The people who where here for a long time paid peanuts for the houses. When $150k (or more) was waived in font of their faces they jumped right on it. They got their purchase price back in spades and could not care less about anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
This is true. Many homeowners who filed a sinkhole claim took the money and did not repair their home. Our old neighbor filed a claim, won a substantial amount, and then used the money to build himself a nice cabin in NC and is now living there. His home is still unrepaired and now sits empty. He did say he was going to try and sell it, and he probably will … for about 20 or 30K, plummetting the values of the surrounding homes as a consequence. And people WILL buy the house that cheaply … they'll buy it, not repair it, and rent it out. So our neighbor will make out just fine. So will the many others who have followed his lead. And the rest of the homeowners in the neighborhood? Well, they're all paying the price of the loss of home value in the area as well as being surrounded by renters … many of whom are low lifes. It really stinks, especially for those of us who did not abuse the system.

My husband and I took the "high road." We had a sinkhole - a real one, not just settlement issues. We woke up to the sound of tiles popping right off the floor and our windows cracking off the walls. It was terrifying - we thought we were going to end up on the news with our house 40 feet in the ground! We filed a claim, and received about 150K to fix the house. We spent every penny fixing the house. It has at least 40 truckloads of grout beneath it, plus a bunch of chemical grouting. We also had a bunch of interior repairs done - all the tile had to go and the cracks in the walls needed fixing. Later we discovered that although our home was solid as a rock, we could not sell it for even half of what we originally paid for it - no one wanted a sinkhole home, even when it was repaired well! So now we are stuck with the house. Thankfully, we have an excellent tennant in it who is renting it from us. That is what enabled us to finally get the heck out of Spring Hill.

Part of me wishes we would have done like my neighbor so many others, because now we are saddled with a home we will probably never sell for any kind of profit while the others are sitting pretty with new houses or with a fat check in the bank.

Thankfully insurance companies wised up and are no longer forking over the kind of large settlements that destroyed so much of the housing value in Hernando County.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:59 AM

3 posts, read 4,705 times
Thank you everyone for your words of advice. By the tone of most replies, I feel that my gut instinct to stay away from this home just may win out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: