U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 03:59 PM

4 posts, read 50,920 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My wife and I recently moved from Iowa and are looking to purchase a home. We waited a couple of months to see how we'd like the area, and now we've decided to make the move a permanent one.

So during our search, we have seen two (new/builder) homes that we really like. The first is in New Tampa (Easton Park) while the second is in Lutz (Stonebrier). I work near Raymond James Stadium, to give you an idea of what my daily commute would be. We figured we should try to take advantage of this buyer's market and pick something up.

Here's a breakdown of specs for both homes:

LUTZ
Square Footage: 3,200
Bedrooms: 4
Bathrooms: 3.5
Garage: 3
HomeSite: Corner home with pond in back and conservation on right side and homes in front of ours that back up to a golf course. Gated coummunity. 1/2
mile from the 'Cheval' homes
Price: 340K

New Tampa
Square Footage: 3,300
Bathrooms: 3
HomeSite: 9th home in a row of 20homes w/pond in back and homes in front of ours. On intersection of Morris bridge road & Cross Creek Blvd.
Price: 280K

So, as you can see the price difference is pretty hefty - 60K ($400/month).

I'm curious to see what you folks feel about these two homes.
Which one would you recommend?

Which one would have more potential for appreciation (for example, if the Lutz home goes up 100K, will the NT do the the same? will someone even be willing to pay 440k for Lutz, in say 10 yrs, should we decide to sell...or would it be more realistic to find a buyer who'd pay 380k for the NT home).

What type of coummute (e.g: time) would we be looking at from NT to RJ stadium?

Which has more re-sale potential?

At this point, we're open to any sound advice as we don't want to make a decision based on emotions/a hunch and (financially) regret it later.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by Apple123; 12-18-2007 at 04:43 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 08:51 PM

3,928 posts, read 10,673,615 times
Living in this area over 20 years, I'm partial to Lutz (if for nothing else but the commute!). That said, ask both builders about CDDs and check the tax rates. Who are the builders? Don't want to compare apples to oranges. Also, I'm assuming you know that New Tampa is part of the City of Tampa?

Old 12-18-2007, 09:55 PM

The CDDs and tax rates for the home in Lutz are a bit higher (+$100).
The builder in Lutz is Centex while the one in NT is MI Homes.

Yes, we are aware of NT being a part of Tampa.

You know, seems like the more I think about it now, the home in NT seems to be more practical for us (we're both 27 years young). But that's why we're posting here - to get insight from people like yourself.

Thanks Karen!

Old 12-18-2007, 11:24 PM

205 posts, read 931,274 times
Easton Park is in China compared to Raymond James Stadium...seriously, it's a really long drive. I live about 10 minutes from there. Morris Bridge is also infamous for a VERY high rate of speed and head on collisons. I have seen plenty of them as I drive Morris Bridge every day...the road is dangerous.
It really is a hike to really get anywhere as well...only thing close is Publix, a Shell gas station, a Great Clips, and a Beef O Bradys. I don't know anything about the subdivision in Lutz, but I would go with the house is Lutz. Just my humble opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple123 View Post
Hi,

My wife and I recently moved from Iowa and are looking to purchase a home. We waited a couple of months to see how we'd like the area, and now we've decided to make the move a permanent one.

So during our search, we have seen two (new/builder) homes that we really like. The first is in New Tampa (Easton Park) while the second is in Lutz (Stonebrier). I work near Raymond James Stadium, to give you an idea of what my daily commute would be. We figured we should try to take advantage of this buyer's market and pick something up.

Here's a breakdown of specs for both homes:

LUTZ
Square Footage: 3,200
Bathrooms: 3.5
HomeSite: Corner home with pond in back and conservation on right side and homes in front of ours that back up to a golf course. Gated coummunity. 1/2
mile from the 'Cheval' homes
Price: 340K

New Tampa
Square Footage: 3,300
Bathrooms: 3
HomeSite: 9th home in a row of 20homes w/pond in back and homes in front of ours. On intersection of Morris bridge road & Cross Creek Blvd.
Price: 280K

So, as you can see the price difference is pretty hefty - 60K ($400/month).

I'm curious to see what you folks feel about these two homes.
Which one would you recommend?

Which one would have more potential for appreciation (for example, if the Lutz home goes up 100K, will the NT do the the same? will someone even be willing to pay 440k for Lutz, in say 10 yrs, should we decide to sell...or would it be more realistic to find a buyer who'd pay 380k for the NT home).

What type of coummute (e.g: time) would we be looking at from NT to RJ stadium?

Which has more re-sale potential?

At this point, we're open to any sound advice as we don't want to make a decision based on emotions/a hunch and (financially) regret it later.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 12-19-2007, 06:53 AM

4,561 posts, read 6,945,201 times
I would go with the one in Lutz, like most of the other posters say. Try to get it for a lower price. It is just mho.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:50 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,814,224 times
I have some friends in Cheval up in Lutz, and some over in New Tampa off Bruce B Downs(Hunters Green). I can just tell you commute wise, I would much, much rather do the Dale Mabry Hwy thing to the Stadium area, than the New Tampa commute to the stadium area.
I havent seen the two homes, but the Lutz home sounds nice on a corner lot, with conservation on the side, and the extra half bath, rather than just sitting in the middle of a row of houses.

Do either have a pool, or community pool?

Im not familiar with the home manufacturers.

Have you driven around the communities to see where things like post office, banks, grocery, home depot, restaurants, parks, theaters, and access to Tampa arts, sports, nightlife, entertainment, or Gulf beaches(if you are into any of those things)

Old 12-19-2007, 08:02 AM

1,480 posts, read 4,648,367 times
I hate everything about New Tampa, it is the epitome of sprawl. Lutz, from what I've seen, has managed to retain a rural feel and quiet seclusion and is actually closer to the city. New Tampa may be building it's own amenities (restaurants, movies, etc.) but that's only because it's so inaccessable and is trying to be it's own city, only without the jobs.
I recommend Lutz.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:40 AM

You folks sure do have a good sense of humor! Lol

When I was breaking down the two, the reason the NT home seemed more appealing was that we were getting more bang for our buck. It was coming in at $85/sq foot along with 20K in upgrades. Mapquest tells me that the commute is 30 miles/45mins, so I figured I would continue working my current hours (7:30am - 4:30pm) and try to beat rush hour….some may say that's easier said then done

The home in Lutz is definitely on a better homesite and is more accessible to work/downtown, but the two potential downsides I saw were:
1) Our budget would be stretched thin. The NT home would save us $400/mo, so I figured if we sell in 10yrs, we'd get a savings of 40K in NT.

2) Appreciation potential. If they both go up equally (assume 100K/10yrs), the home in Lutz would be 440k while the NT would be 380K. So I'm assuming that with all the other properties that will be built in the next 10yrs along with re-sales, there would be more prospective buyers for the cheaper home. Granted, I guess one could make the argument that the location in Lutz plus the homesite would result in more appreciation. I should ask for my magic ball for Christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedAChangeFromFL View Post
Easton Park is in China compared to Raymond James Stadium...seriously, it's a really long drive. I live about 10 minutes from there. Morris Bridge is also infamous for a VERY high rate of speed and head on collisons. I have seen plenty of them as I drive Morris Bridge every day...the road is dangerous.
It really is a hike to really get anywhere as well...only thing close is Publix, a Shell gas station, a Great Clips, and a Beef O Bradys. I don't know anything about the subdivision in Lutz, but I would go with the house is Lutz. Just my humble opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancnie View Post
I would go with the one in Lutz, like most of the other posters say. Try to get it for a lower price. It is just mho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
I hate everything about New Tampa, it is the epitome of sprawl. Lutz, from what I've seen, has managed to retain a rural feel and quiet seclusion and is actually closer to the city. New Tampa may be building it's own amenities (restaurants, movies, etc.) but that's only because it's so inaccessable and is trying to be it's own city, only without the jobs.
I recommend Lutz.

Neither home has a pool; They do have a community pool though. It's funny, a realtor approached us for a home 3,300 sq foot in Trinity East for 330K which has a pool, plus upgrades. Don't know much about that area though, other then the fact it's close to work.

The home in Lutz is w/in 10mins driving distance to all the things you listed whereas the one in NT would be 20mins.

The same Lutz community has houses on homesites similar to the one in NT that are 249K (2500 sqft) & 284K (2900 sqft).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
I have some friends in Cheval up in Lutz, and some over in New Tampa off Bruce B Downs(Hunters Green). I can just tell you commute wise, I would much, much rather do the Dale Mabry Hwy thing to the Stadium area, than the New Tampa commute to the stadium area.
I havent seen the two homes, but the Lutz home sounds nice on a corner lot, with conservation on the side, and the extra half bath, rather than just sitting in the middle of a row of houses.

Do either have a pool, or community pool?

Im not familiar with the home manufacturers.

Have you driven around the communities to see where things like post office, banks, grocery, home depot, restaurants, parks, theaters, and access to Tampa arts, sports, nightlife, entertainment, or Gulf beaches(if you are into any of those things)

Thanks everyone! We appreciate everyone's advice so far...and please feel free to give more feedback if you wish.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:58 PM

3,928 posts, read 10,673,615 times
I would suggest you get a third party inspection. You can make it conditional in your sales contract.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 12-19-2007 at 04:10 PM..

Old 12-19-2007, 08:54 PM

2,539 posts, read 3,756,858 times
I would stay clear of both builders. The drive from either location is heavy traffic. Lutz being the least of the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or