Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2014, 11:21 AM

569 posts, read 1,058,702 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of closing a home purchase and am evaluating my insurance options. Federated National came in with the lowest quote and better coverage than most others, so I'm leaning that way. Does anyone know if there's anything wrong with them that I should be aware of?

I also received quotes from Security First and Universal Property for about $200 more, but Security First's coverage is substantially lower for personal property and loss of use. Prepared gave slightly better coverage, and I can even get non-catastrophic sinkhole coverage for about $130, but they are about $400 more (with that coverage). Do I really need sinkhole coverage in Largo though? I thought most of the sinkhole problem was in Spring Hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 05:29 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,823,614 times
I think it's something to keep mind of anywhere in the area - Dunedin (destroyed two homes), Holiday (two in a mobile home park in the past month), and of course the one that swallowed that poor guy out in Seffner...

Old 12-05-2014, 08:12 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,823,614 times
Yes, I understand how sinkhole coverage works, as I own a home and have insurance. Every homeowners policy covers catastrophic.

Personally, I didn't go for optional coverage because realistically, if there's structural damage to any part of the house - it's going to be condemned.

That goes a long way into getting you covered under the catastrophic coverage.

Quote:
Catastrophic ground cover collapse” is defined as “geological activity that results in all of the following: 1). The abrupt
collapse of the ground cover; 2). A depression in the ground cover clearly visible to the naked eye; 3). Structural damage
to the building including the foundation; and 4). The insured structure being condemned and ordered to be vacated by
the government agency authorized by law to issue such an order for that structure.
I also understand there's usually an inspection involved if you want to get the optional coverage. One crack in the driveway, walkway, or something like that can be enough to cause them to not issue the supplemental coverage.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:07 PM

569 posts, read 1,058,702 times
Thank you for the information. They all have catastrophic sinkhole coverage - if it totally wrecks the house, etc. The difference is that only the one will pay out if a sinkhole, say, destroys my pool, or one bedroom, but the rest of the house remains liveable. I don't know if that difference is worth $800 / year more for the same coverage, or $400 / year more for lesser coverage. I hadn't heard of the Dunedin sinkholes, so thank you for mentioning that! I think that's the closest I've heard of any sinkholes to where the house is located.

This particular insurance did not require an inspection for the optional coverage, which is pretty nice. I came to the conclusion that the only way they would provide this optional coverage without an inspection is if the chances of a sinkhole occurring on the property are so low that the coverage is not worth getting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay