Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 06:30 AM

14 posts, read 16,209 times

Advertisements

I work in healthcare and have been looking for a job in Tampa/St. Pete area. I originally wanted to live in the Hyde Park area, but have spread out my search due to job availability. There is a position in Bradenton (west 21 St) that I am interviewing for. I was thinking maybe I should live in downtown St. Pete and commute. (I am in my 30s, single, and want to live near things to do.) The maps show me that this may be a 40 min commute, however. I would like to get opinions on this scenario. Should I commute or find somewhere else to live? Also, how much should I budget for rent? Any specific apartment complex recommendations are welcome! Finally, I may just take this job to get myself to the area and have an income, and then try to find something else. (I used to be in sales and kind of want to get back to that.)

Finally, just curious why some salaries are lower in Florid. One recruiter told me that it's because it's so cheap to live there. But it's actually about the same as here in Cincinnati, and when I look online at cost of living calculators, they show I need a $1-5k salary raise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 07:38 AM

Also would like to know if I can buy a monthly pass for the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, and how much does that run? Thanks.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:07 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,965,614 times
Like anyplace in Florida (or LA), check your commute time at rush hour during snowbird season - it could be 2...or 3...or 4...times the simple distance calculation. I don't drive that particular stretch of road, so can't say specifically. That's just not something you want to be surprised by.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:15 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,205,670 times
In the name of generalizing for whole lot of people that look for the same information, COL calculators had to generalize by design. Better to pick certain things that are important to you and then looking how the price will be for you here compared to there--kind of coming up with your own COL adjustment . If you are going to rent versus buy makes a whole lot of difference, for example.

The salary they will pay you depends on how desperately they need you, local competition, and unique expertise that you would bring. Even though most people I know take less because they are desperate to get the piece of "paradise" here (I am talking mid to higher level management positions and not entry levels), others here have commented that they moved here with promotion or increased salary.

You don't need to buy a pass specifically for the Skyway bridge. You buy a sun pass and that will include the skyway bridge and other toll roads. I have one that automatically replenishes itself and forgot about it. Remember, using the sun pass not only is convenient but you would save about 20% or so by using it. No brainer to me. It should be around a buck or two on the skyway bridge. Not sure as I don't look at tariffs as I have a sun pass.

Good luck

Old 08-03-2014, 08:25 PM

515 posts, read 1,348,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb999 View Post
...I originally wanted to live in the Hyde Park area, but have spread out my search due to job availability.
Quote:
Finally, just curious why some salaries are lower in Florid...
You answered your own question. Supply and demand. Regardless of the cost of living, there are many people here and many people moving here to compete for the jobs. An employer isn't going to pay more than they have to.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:43 PM

232 posts, read 348,671 times
Have you ever crossed the Sunshine Skyway? While it's a pretty drive, I wouldn't want to drive it every day in the rainy season during storms. Once in a great while, it's closed due to wind or fog.
The Tampa Bay area is so spread out and devoid of public transportation, it's really best to live near where you work. You can drive to your fav beach or event during your free time, but commuting is really a drag here.
Downtown St Pete is a great happening place to live. Maybe you could find something in one of St Pete's hospitals.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:05 PM

17 posts, read 20,119 times
You'll definitely want a SunPass for driving around. You can buy them at CVS or the grocery store Publix. Publix alone is a good enough reason to want to be in FL
I would definitely start out with living near where you work and get a feel for what area you'd actually enjoy living in. You might find you don't mind having to drive to the clubs, beach, etc.
I would at least recommend living on the same side of the bay that you work on, otherwise the commute can be awful. I haven't done it in a decade, but a 15 minute drive mid day may be 90 minutes at rush hour.
There is some fun in downtown St. Pete, but there's a lot you'll want to avoid too. Same with Ybor--lots of fun for a 30 yo single person, but not necessarily a place you want to live. I'd definitely check out the area in person instead of relying on online pics/info.
Once you're in town, I'm sure you'll figure it out pretty quickly and you'll love the area. Good luck with your move.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:16 AM

Thank you for all the replies. This really helps me figure things out. I hadn't even thought about the bridge closing during storms/fog. That would be a problem! This past weekend I did speak with another person in my industry working in St. Pete to get an idea of appropriate salary. Basically I should have to take a reduction in pay if I hold out, so that's good.

If I choose to live near work in Brandenton, can anyone tell me what it like there? I guess I could look for a 6 mo lease. I prob won't have time to visit before relocating unfortunately. They will
most likely hire me over the phone an want to move ASAP. Thanks again!

Old 08-04-2014, 06:17 AM

Oops I meant should not* have to take a salary reduction.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:09 PM

12 posts, read 13,624 times
Quote:
Oops I meant should not* have to take a salary reduction.
Jmb999, I am an Ohioian as well and we are considering a move to the Tampa. Can you tell me if the recruiter you are using deals only in the medical industry?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay