Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2007, 10:45 AM

975 posts, read 3,731,074 times

Advertisements

Since it's on a small peninsula, it looks extremely vulnerable to hurricanes. How vulnerable is south tampa to devastating storm surge? Do you have to use Citizen's to insure a house in South Tampa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 03:22 PM

192 posts, read 1,164,916 times
I live in south Tampa and think of it geographically as a peninsular within a peninsular, which it is. The perimeter of the peninsular is at very high risk for flood damage.......on the rare occasions that we get a storm, one can drive the lenghts of Westshore Blvd and Bayshore Blvd (south of Gandy) and see pile after pile of discarded, ruined carpeting as a result of water intrusion.

I live in the "spine" portion of the peninsular and my elevation here (near Bay-to-Bay and Dale Mabry) is about 12 feet and we're in the evacuation zone "D" with "A" being the first to evacuate.......I've had friends who live on Davis Islands come stay with me when they had to evacuate.

As for insurance companies, many in south Tampa are with other companies but I've heard (no direct knowledge) that no companies are writing policies near the coasts. After many years with Nationwide I recently got a non-renewal notice and will be searching for a replacement company.

I would recommend you doing a search for the Hillsborough County Emergency Preparedness agencies and you will find an evacuation zone chart somewhere in the mix.........if you dig deep enough you'll also see the the statistical odds of a hurricane hitting Hillsborough County are abour ONE PERCENT! To me that's an acceptable risk to take for the lifestyle we enjoy here.

Last edited by tonynorie; 12-19-2007 at 03:35 PM..

Old 12-19-2007, 03:44 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,379,348 times
Yes, if we were to ever get hit by a Category 4 or above(rare), directly coming from the southwest to northeast, into Tampa Bay and over Tampa(Last one was 1920's), South Tampa would be flooded, for about 6 hours, and possibly up to 6-10 feet of water(yikes)...but the statistics show that you are more prone to getting hit by lightning, house go on fire, tornado, then have something than what I explaned above to happen. Just the chances you take, and i'm very willing to live my life that way. Ive been through three insurance companies sice 2000 and after 2005, was only able to get Citizens(I am in 'A' Zone off Westshore Blvd), but now I have been told that I have coverage by another company and can shop around next year when my insurance expires.(Yeah!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay