Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2014, 08:10 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Yep, don't know what's worse ... an icebox with howling winds or a stifling steam room with no wind.
I will take the windless steam room any day.

Ive had enough of feeling that my ear lobes were going to break off, my nose so cold that it hurt, my feet soaked in slush and being chilled to the bone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 09:08 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
So how many did Tampa have again.
of course you miss the point completely - point is, while you might not enjoy the Tampa area and don't consider it worthwhile city, great organizations do - enough to hold conventions and have Super Bowls (multiple) here - it has nothing to with that cesspool in Illinois.

Teen Shot Near Obama's Home Among 16 Shot in Chicago Overnight | NBC Chicago

Old 08-02-2014, 09:30 AM

62 posts, read 86,342 times
I do remember when HOI was $600 a year.

We moved in our current house in 1991 and our HOI was $198 for the year. But that was before HA (Hurricane Andrew). It is now around $ 2300.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:39 AM

There was Andrew, the conga line of storms in 04 and others that depleted insurance company reserves. How do they replenish the reserves? They raise the premiums. What my beef is once reserves are replenished when do the rates subside? There is always a reason. Re-insurance costs, predictions of bad storms for the coming decades, claims adjuster has a cold, etc. Kinda like the price of gas. Goes up in Spring because they switch to "summer blend" and then again in winter when they change to "winter blend". The price never drops back to where it was before the changes but they become the new normal price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativesonofstpete View Post
I do remember when HOI was $600 a year.

We moved in our current house in 1991 and our HOI was $198 for the year. But that was before HA (Hurricane Andrew). It is now around $ 2300.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:49 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Hey I'm not fixated on Chicago I'm tired of certain people makeing Tampa to be the best thing to sliced bread. There is no way you can compare the two. Chicago is a major city Tampa not so much, but some people here think it is.
It depends what you compare. If you compare nature and the ocean, Tampa Bay is superior to Chicago. Plus for the most part it's cleaner. If you compare number of high-rises and overall wealth, Chicago has the edge because higher population means higher concentration of money in the area. However, most people who move down here don't care about that. They are seeking a slower paced, more manageable, laid back lifestyle. No one said Tampa Bay needs to be Chicago or vice versa.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:09 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Tampa has a world class orchestra, a Broadway series of 8-10 world class plays, is a regular stop for most nationally known rock groups, has three professional sports fanchises, with a fourth an hour or more away (Orlando), national amusement parks (Disney, Universal, Busch), Kennedy Space Center a couple of hours away, a nationally ranked beautiful international airport, a couple of college bowl game, tons of outdoor things to do year round -----not sure why anyone would want to slam the city while promoting a city where people are shot/killed by the dozens on any given three-day weekend.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:25 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
More directly to the point, isn't there a MODERATOR for this board? What's with all the ranting that has absolutely nothing to do with what the OP asked?
There are, unfortunately, some individuals who carry around much anger or, at the very least, unhappiness and for whatever reason feel the need to displace that against the area or the people who reside in the area.

I hope for the OP's sake, they were able to extract the well-intended advice and I wish the best of luck in the relocation!

Old 08-04-2014, 09:38 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Tampa has a world class orchestra, a Broadway series of 8-10 world class plays, is a regular stop for most nationally known rock groups, has three professional sports fanchises, with a fourth an hour or more away (Orlando), national amusement parks (Disney, Universal, Busch), Kennedy Space Center a couple of hours away, a nationally ranked beautiful international airport, a couple of college bowl game, tons of outdoor things to do year round -----not sure why anyone would want to slam the city while promoting a city where people are shot/killed by the dozens on any given three-day weekend.
Was this for my post? I'm a firm believer in this area(not promoting Chicago, I could care less). Besides some notable high-rises(architecture), Chicago does not interest me much. I've said it before, Tampa or this area in general needs a signature skyscraper to define the skyline(we're getting there but it's a slow process). Not sure why there's not much interest about this?

Push to build 72-story skyscraper in Tampa

I agree on KSC, that's something very unique to FL with lots of history(some people don't get the significance). Plus the Atlantis exhibit is simply amazing.

And you can't find anything like Skyway in Chicago (we have the edge on bridges/causeways).

Old 08-04-2014, 09:45 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Was this for my post? I'm a firm believer in this area(not promoting Chicago, I could care less). Besides some notable high-rises(architecture), Chicago does not interest me much. I've said it before, Tampa or this area in general needs a signature skyscraper to define the skyline(we're getting there but it's a slow process). Not sure why there's not much interest about this?

Push to build 72-story skyscraper in Tampa

I agree on KSC, that's something very unique to FL with lots of history(some people don't get the significance). Plus the Atlantis exhibit is simply amazing.

And you can't find anything like Skyway in Chicago (we have the edge on bridges/causeways).
Is there any concern about building something so tall and heavy on the soil and subsurface we have here?

Old 08-04-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Yes. All of that and a world renowned zoo, museums, cultural venues and much more.

When I think of Chicago I think off dark, dank, dirty, cold, windy, crowded, bumper to bumper traffic, crime filled, over rated pizza, the worse Italian food I've ever tried to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay