Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 03:50 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
[QUOTE
Some people can afford to live that way, and some people like to live the free love and commune style of living. Different strokes for different folks.
Its not a matter of "affording it". It is a matter of being happy with where you are. Many New Yorkers
would be lost without the subway, walking to the grocery store etc. They put up with the difficulties because that is what they are accustomed to. Alot of them wouldnt be able to sleep at night without having the street noise to lull them. They wouldnt know what to do with a lawn mower. A wrench is pretty much out of their league because all you need to do is call the superintendent to come fix your leaky pipe or slow drain. The suburbanites learn these things while they pay their $12,000 a month or more in property taxes on their little $400k houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 04:38 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,125,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Its not a matter of "affording it". It is a matter of being happy with where you are. Many New Yorkers
would be lost without the subway, walking to the grocery store etc. They put up with the difficulties because that is what they are accustomed to. Alot of them wouldnt be able to sleep at night without having the street noise to lull them. They wouldnt know what to do with a lawn mower. A wrench is pretty much out of their league because all you need to do is call the superintendent to come fix your leaky pipe or slow drain. The suburbanites learn these things while they pay their $12,000 a month or more in property taxes on their little $400k houses.
If that's what they are accustomed to then so be it. I'm the same way I had a house in Michigan I mowed my lawn, shoveled my driveway. That's what I grew up with and I liked it. It would not bother me in the least if I moved back north. Yes Tampa has no snow but besides that there is not much else. The south has and always be known as being laid back, lower wages, anti union. But it's funny that they have no problem taking our money. Like I said I could not of made what I made here compared to up north. You know that bigger cities have more to offer than cities like Tampa. Yes Tampa has some things like Chicago or new York but on a much smaller scale. Still not up to the same level as Chicago or New York it can't be. Chicago and New York have been the center of America history along with Detroit. What is Tmpa famous for?. Nothing major that I'm awear of. It's trying to compare a 5 star city to a basic city.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:05 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,364,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Talk all you want. Just tell us where you live so we can pull some dirt on that place too.
Orlando

Old 08-06-2014, 05:15 PM

Tampa does nothing for me. The only time we ever go to Tampa is if we go to the zoo, busch gardens or to catch a cruise ship but we go to the east coast for most ships. Most of the acts we like come to ruth eckerd hall in clearwater so non need for the concerts.

i dont know what you are looking for, but i am sure u would find anything you had up north in tampa bay area.

'they' have no problem taking our money'. who is they??

no, tampa will never be nyc, chicago, san francisco etc. it is an old port city famous for its cigar manufacturers which are all but gone. that leaves it as a port city. certainly there are big companys
there, jabil circuit, masonite intl., there are dozens. there are a lot of restaurants, theater, museums, things to see and do. the problem is those venues can get very crowded. i am done with crowds. i much rather to go ruth eckerd hall than madison square garden. ive said it before, for me cities simply suck. too many people, too much traffic, too much noise, too many highways. i did my city time in nyc and then downsized it to orlando but even orlando got too big and busy for us. that is why we are out here. quiet. serene. i gave up on nyc when i was 30, orlando at 47. there was no way i could have stayed in nyc another 35 years to reach retirement age. ny has certainly been the center of american history. it all started there in early 1600's with the dutch.

Quote:
If that's what they are accustomed to then so be it. I'm the same way I had a house in Michigan I mowed my lawn, shoveled my driveway. That's what I grew up with and I liked it. It would not bother me in the least if I moved back north. Yes Tampa has no snow but besides that there is not much else. The south has and always be known as being laid back, lower wages, anti union. But it's funny that they have no problem taking our money. Like I said I could not of made what I made here compared to up north. You know that bigger cities have more to offer than cities like Tampa. Yes Tampa has some things like Chicago or new York but on a much smaller scale. Still not up to the same level as Chicago or New York it can't be. Chicago and New York have been the center of America history along with Detroit. What is Tmpa famous for?. Nothing major that I'm awear of. It's trying to compare a 5 star city to a basic city.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:20 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,214 times
Quote:
If the people in Fl who transplanted from the North (millions) worried about the summer they wouldn't have come here in the first place. Thing is FL summers are decent. Plenty of rain, sunshine. Sure its hotter than the norm, but since its warm all the time it makes little difference to most people. The weather in FL beats the weather in the north year round. Of course you have the retired snowbird crowd. So much nicer on the roads when they arent here.

We cant swim with the Manatees in the summer because there are very few here in the summer. Its a winter activity.

Get back to me on the Chicago heat index in January.
Intangibles like familarity, friends, family, general civility, and helpfulness of people :

By familiarity you must mean "I see the same crap today that I did when I was 7"
Friends move away, die, or otherwise drift away.
Family move away, die, become people you only see a funerals.
I won't touch general civility. Civility left the NE a long time ago.
Helpfulness of the people:
A few years ago I was in Queens NY. Walked into a laundromat with a bag of clothes. Loaded them into
the machines. Didnt have enough quarters to get the 2nd machine to go. Went to the person running the place, dollars in my hand and asked "may I have some quarters?". I couldnt believe my ears but she said with a straight face "we dont have any quarters, you will have to go to a bank". No quarters in a coin op laundry that runs on quarters? Drive over to the bank. Stand on line for 20 minutes. Get to teller who is sitting there like she is going to be sick. "Hi. I would like a roll of quarters" and I put down a $10. "Do you have an account here?" "Gee. No. I am visiting from out of town and I need to the laundry". "I can't help you if you do not have an account with us"
Back to laundromat. One machine is done. The clothes are soaking wet like they never saw a spin cycle. The clothes I left in the other machine while I went to get quarters was piled in corner on a folding table. The lady running the place says "please dont tie up our machines". I took the wet laundry. I took the dry laundry and I drove around until I found a place "laundry by the pound". I had to pay double since 1/2 the clothes were soaking wet. So much for civility and helpfulness.

Another trip: Out on Long Island. The Sunrise Highway, US 27, a major road. Stores lining both sides of the street. Metered parking. It was 7:15 in the evening. I had my quarters ready. Brought an extra roll from FL.
I see a parking spot. I parked and got out. There was a woman standing in front of a hairdresser salon smoking a cigarette. I said "Hi, do we feed the meters at this time of day?". She looked at me with the most disgusted looking face I have seen in years, flicks her cigarette butt to the ground, turns around and walks back in the store. I stood there shocked at first, then I realized it. I am not in FL and strangers are programmed not to talk to strangers.

Another strike for civility and helpfulness.

Walk into a supermarket. Get your stuff. Go to register. The clerk wont even look up at you and just slides the item across the scanner, puts them in a bag, takes your money and hands you the change with out ever looking up!

You had better be stepping on that gas pedal when the light turns green. One second into a green light and there will be an assemblage of blaring car horns behind you.

Rules on the street in the Northeast:
Walk straight, walk quickly, keep your eyes looking forward and put on a glum expression.

It wasnt until I got to Manhattan that I was reminded of the protocol on the sidewalk.

Not to mention the high taxes, high prices, tired out and failing infrastructure, a hazy atmosphere, lines every where for everything. The bank, subway tokens, metrocards, supermarket, EVERYWHERE. Such a miserable existence.
Who was referring to the Northeast, specifically NYC ??????

Is Chicago in the Northeast ? Ever spend any time in Buffalo ? Rochester ? Cleveland ? Madison WI ?
Denver ? St Louis ? I'm guessing not, otherwise you would have experienced the civility that abounds in those places.

Your anecdotal experience limited to geographic exposure in Queens, the Bronx, and Long Island is getting old ... please bring something to the table if you're going to eat ...

Old 08-06-2014, 09:27 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,214 times
Quote:
Denver is loaded with crime, poverty and drugs (besides pot).

So is Florida and let's toss in sexual offenders and scam artists as well ...

Its right up there with Chicago for the worse winter weather in the country.
Tell that to the skiers ... believe it or not, there are people that aren't keyboard jockeys and actually get out of the house in the snow and cold other than to go to the grocery store or get gas.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:32 PM

219 posts, read 377,561 times
Quote:
Money is universal. "They" would take your money in exchange for goods and services anywhere, not just Tampa.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:01 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,125,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachgoer44 View Post
Money is universal. "They" would take your money in exchange for goods and services anywhere, not just Tampa.

When we lived in the Chicago area and we rented a house we had to get gas and electric in our name have great credit, no problem had both turned on no deposit no nothing. Move here duke wanted $500 deposit even though we have fantastic credit. So we paid it then after being here 2 years bill paid on time every time. We wanted to move to we're we live now we wanted power turned on a week early duke told us another deposit was required. I told them we already have a deposit from we're we are now and can't you transfer it over to the new place nope can't do that. I have never seen a more greedy company then duke never had this problem with ConEd.
And here in Clearwater you get your higher than hell water bill for lousy water that you cannot drink and never gets cold, you have less than a month to pay your bill. In illionis you are given a month to pay like its Suspose to be. But no not here they want your money now. SO you tell me if that is not being money hungry.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Who was referring to the Northeast, specifically NYC ??????

Is Chicago in the Northeast ? Ever spend any time in Buffalo ? Rochester ? Cleveland ? Madison WI ?
Denver ? St Louis ? I'm guessing not, otherwise you would have experienced the civility that abounds in those places.

Your anecdotal experience limited to geographic exposure in Queens, the Bronx, and Long Island is getting old ... please bring something to the table if you're going to eat ...

Been to 5 out of the 7. You forgot Brooklyn and Staten Island.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:13 AM

When we moved NYC to Orlando I got letters from my utility companies stating that I had an excellent payment record. Bellsouth and the Orlando Utilities Commission set us up with no questions and no deposits.

When we came to SH W.R.E.C. and the County utility didnt ask for a dime as a deposit.

I dont know where Clearwater gets their water, but ours is pumped right out of the aquifer.
Tastes great. I does stay warm for a while because the pipes underground get hot and so does the water if it sits there. I couldnt tell you what it costs. Water, sewer, garbage collection runs $45 a month.
I put my bills on line to pay them within days of receipt. Why wait?

Money hungry? Hardly. Theyve got a utility to run and want payment before the next billing cycle.
If they gave you 30 days you would always be a month behind. They create bill, mail bill, you get bill.
30 days after they create bill they repeat the process. It takes a couple of days for you get it and a couple of days to respond.

Quote:
When we lived in the Chicago area and we rented a house we had to get gas and electric in our name have great credit, no problem had both turned on no deposit no nothing. Move here duke wanted $500 deposit even though we have fantastic credit. So we paid it then after being here 2 years bill paid on time every time. We wanted to move to we're we live now we wanted power turned on a week early duke told us another deposit was required. I told them we already have a deposit from we're we are now and can't you transfer it over to the new place nope can't do that. I have never seen a more greedy company then duke never had this problem with ConEd.
And here in Clearwater you get your higher than hell water bill for lousy water that you cannot drink and never gets cold, you have less than a month to pay your bill. In illionis you are given a month to pay like its Suspose to be. But no not here they want your money now. SO you tell me if that is not being money hungry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay