Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 07:43 AM

6 posts, read 5,027 times

Advertisements

My friend was being very pro-active and wanted to be in control of the move while she was still healthy and mobile. Your dad's move will be a major one if he moves to Florida. I hope he makes the decision in time for the transition to be smooth. Sorry to hear about the friend who got pushed by her daughter. Why didn't the daughter move if it was so important to be close to mom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 07:56 AM

464 posts, read 640,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargoLady View Post
My friend was being very pro-active and wanted to be in control of the move while she was still healthy and mobile. Your dad's move will be a major one if he moves to Florida. I hope he makes the decision in time for the transition to be smooth. Sorry to hear about the friend who got pushed by her daughter. Why didn't the daughter move if it was so important to be close to mom?
I don't blame the daughter.....single mom, 3 kids in school, good career with local company (no chance of transfer), recent new home purchase. The daughter made the drive up to see her mom many many times but the 6 hour round trip wasn't easy for a working single mom. There was no other family nearby.

My FIL's oversight falls mainly to my husband; while we live the farthest away, his siblings all still work and 2 have kids in HS.

Our guess is that my FIL will not go to assisted living, but will stay in his home until a nursing home is the only option, and likely we'll be in crisis mode at that time. He will have the choice of where his nursing home will be....he can stay in DC-Metro since 2 of my husband's siblings are nearby, or he can opt for NC where another sibling lives. Or he can come to FL and live near us. We want to be ready if that's what he chooses so we'll check out nursing homes in Pinellas.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:02 AM

6 posts, read 5,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfporter View Post
I don't blame the daughter.....single mom, 3 kids in school, good career with local company (no chance of transfer), recent new home purchase. The daughter made the drive up to see her mom many many times but the 6 hour round trip wasn't easy for a working single mom. There was no other family nearby.

My FIL's oversight falls mainly to my husband; while we live the farthest away, his siblings all still work and 2 have kids in HS.

Our guess is that my FIL will not go to assisted living, but will stay in his home until a nursing home is the only option, and likely we'll be in crisis mode at that time. He will have the choice of where his nursing home will be....he can stay in DC-Metro since 2 of my husband's siblings are nearby, or he can opt for NC where another sibling lives. Or he can come to FL and live near us. We want to be ready if that's what he chooses so we'll check out nursing homes in Pinellas.
Good luck to you you all. My mom lives two buildings away in the same apartment complex so I can keep a close eye on her. She moved to Florida from Seattle to be close to the daughter who has the more flexible schedule. It all starts to get pretty complicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay