Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2014, 11:16 AM

91 posts, read 387,669 times

Advertisements

My family is thinking about purchasing a small toy hauler RV to explore different areas of FL/GA and ultimately purchase 10-20 acres of land to use as a weekend getaway. I really want to ride dirt bikes and quads with my sons but we have no property in Tampa where we live. I know there are areas like Croom that allow riding but friends of mine that go there regularly say it can be dangerous for newer riders and is often overcrowded.

I'd just like a plot of land to call my own where we can roll out on weekends, camp out, ride ATV's, bike, have some privacy, do whatever and head back at the end of the weekend. I need it to be safe, where our stuff won't get stolen if we head away from camp for a while and we won't have to deal with characters from Deliverance or meth heads out looking for a score.

Does anyone here have a getaway like this they are enjoying or know of some areas to look in or stay away from? I was looking online at some properties in Ocala, Brooksville, Leesburg, Spring Hill, Dade City, Inverness but I don't know much about these areas so I thought I'd try the forum.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 11:20 AM

464 posts, read 645,407 times
Have you thought about the noise pollution you'll cause your new neighbors?????

Old 08-11-2014, 11:34 AM

Yes I have, which is why I want something pretty rural so I don't annoy anyone. But a couple 4 stroke ATV's don't make that much noise riding during the day for a couple weekends a month; I'm not opening up a super cross track here. That is why I want 10+ acres... plenty of space to roam and play but there will be ample space between lots.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:43 AM

464 posts, read 645,407 times
Once owned a home on 6+ acres surrounded by larger acreage (farms). When one neighbor bought ATV's we did indeed hear them anytime they rode and it destroyed the peace and quiet we once knew.

Noise pollution is insidious. And even if you have 10 acres, you still have common lot lines. Noise knows no boundaries.

In many parts of the country, noise ordinances effectively ban use of ATV's unless on property that is dedicated and zoned for such use.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:08 PM

I'm pretty sure FL does not have that ordinance, at least not in the places I will be looking to buy. Everyone has different thresholds I suppose. I grew up in an area of 1.5 acre lots and most kids in my neighborhood had ATV's (many 2 stroke); we rode in the fields behind our houses all day long and no one ever complained... different time and place though; some people are more sensitive.

Ideally, I'd love to buy in an area near others who share in some of those hobbies so I know I won't be thought of as the "city boy" coming up to shatter the perfect silence with my racket. The properties I have been scouting online so far are in the boonies with no real neighbors, just woods.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:11 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
I'm thinking Brooksville would be a good bet. Dade City has gotten expensive for open land. Got to get way north of there, maybe even Bushnell?

Old 08-12-2014, 12:45 PM

17 posts, read 21,181 times
Do you guys have any motocross or supercross tracks within a hour drive of tampa? im looking to relocated from the north and have raced dirt bikes my whole life and would like to bring one of my bikes down. also if your looking at toy haulers look into fun movers. they are very nice and perfect for what you want to do

Old 08-13-2014, 05:17 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
There is an area north of Dade City, I believe, that is a state park and set up for all sorts of off road vehicles:

Croom Motorcycle Area at Withlacoochee State Forest / Withlacoochee State Forest / State Forests / Our Forests / Florida Forest Service / Divisions & Offices / Home - Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services

RM

Old 08-13-2014, 06:59 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,246,180 times
Check out the Spring Lake area just outside of Brooksville.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:12 AM

Thanks for the info everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay