Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2014, 03:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,404 times

Advertisements

As much as we hate to move them, we have to relocate near eastern Clearwater area with a 10th and 12th grader. We really have no ability to keep them at their old school in IL. Both are good students, test well, but hate homework (so the Osceola Fundamental High School is out.)
Looking at maybe Seminole, or possibly going up to Palm Harbor or Tarpon Springs. We will need to quickly rent a house or condo (but have a yellow lab coming with, so house would probably be better.) Trying to keep rent under 2k til we can figure out the real cost of living difference. Don't need a ton of square footage but do need 3 bedrooms and at least 2 baths.
Worried about the commute times (hoping for under 30 min) vs ok schools and safe areas. Don't need "best" schools but don't want anything rough or dangerous.
Any advice???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 05:25 AM

464 posts, read 645,407 times
Refreshing in an odd way. First post I recall by parents NOT wanting best schools for their kids.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:37 AM

2 posts, read 2,404 times
Yep, we are horrible parents, ha.
They are bright, 34 on the ACT bright, and enjoy participating in class, so they don't need a lot of help to do well. But they are pretty laid back and would not like a pressure-cooker type school, so I'm thinking Plant and Palm Harbor may be out.

And we can't afford Ivy League anyway, so they will probably go to a State U.

Anyone know about Pinellas Park High? It's a 6 on great schools, is it safe for a couple of white kids with an offbeat sense of humor?

Old 08-17-2014, 10:42 AM

675 posts, read 644,799 times
I went to Clearwater Central Catholic for one of the two years I was in the TB area in the early 90's. My French teacher there has apparently won some state teacher of the year in French. She transferred to PPHS at some point in the 90's. Not sure if Coller's still there, but now y'all have me curious.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:59 PM

464 posts, read 645,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeeshive View Post
Yep, we are horrible parents, ha.
They are bright, 34 on the ACT bright, and enjoy participating in class, so they don't need a lot of help to do well. But they are pretty laid back and would not like a pressure-cooker type school, so I'm thinking Plant and Palm Harbor may be out.

And we can't afford Ivy League anyway, so they will probably go to a State U.

Anyone know about Pinellas Park High? It's a 6 on great schools, is it safe for a couple of white kids with an offbeat sense of humor?
I like your attitude about pressure-cooker schools. And that you've raised smart, but laid-back kids.

I know nothing first-hand about Pinellas Schools.

However, one pair of neighbors has 2 boys, one is starting HS. The other day, the mom told me that he (and they) are very excited because he got into a Pinellas public school program on Aquatic Management and Environmental Technology and that he is also taking a special Multimedia/Journalism program as well. Then she told me her other son (in middle school) also got into a progam he wanted in the technology area.

I got the impression that there are a lot of good academic choices within Pinellas schools, IF both the student and parent(s) are pro-active.

Anyway, I looked at their website, specifically the one about "District Applications Programs" and the programs sound interesting; they are for all levels of education. Here's the link:
Student Assignment / District Application Programs

It may be worth it for you to contact the main office and get a better understanding of how these special programs are administered...but beware...tomorrow is the FIRST day of school in Pinellas!! You may want to wait a week before you call them.

Good luck!

Old 08-17-2014, 04:00 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfporter View Post
I like your attitude about pressure-cooker schools. And that you've raised smart, but laid-back kids.

I know nothing first-hand about Pinellas Schools.

However, one pair of neighbors has 2 boys, one is starting HS. The other day, the mom told me that he (and they) are very excited because he got into a Pinellas public school program on Aquatic Management and Environmental Technology and that he is also taking a special Multimedia/Journalism program as well. Then she told me her other son (in middle school) also got into a progam he wanted in the technology area.

I got the impression that there are a lot of good academic choices within Pinellas schools, IF both the student and parent(s) are pro-active.

Anyway, I looked at their website, specifically the one about "District Applications Programs" and the programs sound interesting; they are for all levels of education. Here's the link:
Student Assignment / District Application Programs

It may be worth it for you to contact the main office and get a better understanding of how these special programs are administered...but beware...tomorrow is the FIRST day of school in Pinellas!! You may want to wait a week before you call them.

Good luck!
I don't know you reconcile being proactive with a lottery based system.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:58 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,078,831 times
Look at Seminole High. Look in 33774,33776,33772 (watch some areas of 33774 are not zoned)
Its a good school, lots of extra curricular activities, good soccer teams, football a bit blah, excellent baseball and band and color guard. Turns out good students, has a good record and is a very family friendly area, near to beaches, low crime, safe etc.
I think you will rent a home for $2k or less easily you may have to pay some for dog deposit but for that you may get a pool too.
I own and rent in the area and I have a lovely home that I rent for less than that, no pool tho. So you should be able to find something. A home to buy in the area now (as its a sought after school zone) say 3/2/2 pool in decent shape - $300-350K but you can get something for less if you don't mind fixing up some things. There is a home on my street being upgraded right now by a builder and he is about to market it for $295K and I am sure he will get that. 3/2/2 no pool.
Most of the homes are not in flood zones and many are pretty decent construction and built in 70s/80s. It is very close to beaches at Indian Shores and Indian Rocks and has good road links to highways via 3 county east/west routes.
Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay