Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 06:01 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,054,375 times

Advertisements

For some reason some of those who live under the HOA rule think the rest live in a swamp... why?? I lived in very nice communities- and people were neighborly too. If I buy an HOA condo for my last home on this earth,,, they better play fair/ or I'll be their biggest legal nightmare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 06:01 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
and I love my cats......

....I just don't get around to cleaning up after them like I should.
Don't get me started about the crazy cat lady who wanders through our neighborhood from the adjacent neighborhood.

Even the HOMELESS people are complaining about the cats now.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:13 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
As much as it would be wonderful to have neighbors pitch in and help you paint your house...the world we live in would never allow it...heaven forbid one of the neighbors slips and falls...it would more then likely result in a law suit...and you would be liable because they aren't licensed or insured...I guess family and friends could help you complete it and hopefully wouldn't bring a suit if they got hurt...although you never know...

Old 08-19-2014, 06:17 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
HOA's are fine and all, except many do not limit themselves to just paint, cars with no wheels, livestock, and too many cats; this is the issue many people run into when HOA's exceed past the "common good" into something else with no relevance on the common good at all, but for other, ambiguous reasons under the guise of the "common good".

It is difficult for people who live in non-intrusive HOA's to truly understand the overbearing nature some HOA's have or develop.

If all HOA's were truly great, there would not be numerous complaints, and cities would not mandate it where HOA's have to be created for new devleopment, the demand would drive the creation of them.

As for the examples posted on this thread, these are often covered by local codes, and anyone can find anecdotal evidence for/against HOA's all day long. I can also post quite nice, million dolllar+ homes that are not in HOA's, and I can post a trailer park with junk all over the place that is an HOA.

But many HOA's do not stop there rules at "cars in the yard", many go way beyond that into ridiculousness. SHould people then not buy? Of course, but cities for years have mandated that all new developments be an HOA, thus this has dwindled up the supply of non-HOA places to live; it is this I have an issue with.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:59 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
I've never lived in an HOA, I never will live in an HOA, and I have never seen a car on blocks in somebody's driveway, a cow in a non-agricultural yard, or a crazy cat lady. Then again, it wouldn't be any of my business anyways if someone chose to put these things on their yard. But, I guess there are people out there who can't think for themselves who need someone to tell them what they can and can't do with their property, so I guess they serve a purpose.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:33 PM

515 posts, read 1,348,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
but cities for years have mandated that all new developments be an HOA, thus this has dwindled up the supply of non-HOA places to live; it is this I have an issue with.
Which cities or counties have ordinances that require new developments to have an HOA? I'm not aware of any in Tampa Bay and I think such an ordinance would be unconstitutional.

Nobody makes someone move into an HOA community. Everyone who buys a home in an HOA community has full disclosure and can see the deed restrictions prior to signing on the dotted line to buy their home. Realtors tell their clients about HOAs and builders disclose the deed restrictions to new home buyers. Nothing is hidden.

If someone lives in an HOA community and doesn't like the leadership, they should by all means run for the board or organize a group of neighbors to support someone running for the board who wants to change things. People are put in positions of power in HOAs because they are elected. What I have seen from owning houses and condos with HOAs/COAs is that the majority of the owners are apathetic. They follow the rules and just don't care as long as their dues don't go up much. There is also usually a small group of owners who hate the leadership and criticize everything they do, yet they either never run for the board themselves or else can't get enough people to agree with them to get elected. The other group are the ones who want to enforce the rules and desperately want to be on the board. They usually get elected. I owned properties in two HOAs that could never have a real annual meeting because so few owners actually cared that they couldn't even get a quorum.

Most HOAs use property management companies, and it is those property management companies who send out the form letters and emails for violations. It's not the job of the property management company or the HOA to help someone maintain their home. The owner of the home needs to maintain it and make sure that projects are completed in a timely manner. If you can't paint yourself, hire a painter. Budgeting for things like that is part of homeownership. If one of my neighbors started a painting project, stopped halfway through, and let the house sit there for an extended period of time without making any attempt to finish the project, I would expect the HOA to send them a violation notice. I can tell you that in my neighborhood, if the owner explained their situation to the president of the board they would be given an extension of time to finish up the painting and they would not be fined. That said, you can't just start painting your house and then not finish it, leaving your house in an incomplete and unsightly appearance. If the owner can't finish the painting themselves and wants help, THEY should be the ones to ask for the help. The HOA shouldn't volunteer to do it for them. Thats not the HOA's business.

If my neighbors started a swimming pool project and ran out of money after a big hole got dug in the yard, I would expect them to either complete the project or restore the property to what it was before the construction. I don't see why anyone would think letting unsightly or incomplete construction or home improvement projects sit unchecked is a good idea.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:16 PM

166 posts, read 321,893 times
Prime example of why some people shouldn't be homeowners.

Home-ownership is a privilege with high responsibility. Your entitled to nothing more than what you agreed at closing.

Really....was your Realturd at closing??

Old 08-20-2014, 03:09 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Not in our HOA.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-a6xZnOvP4

Old 08-20-2014, 03:40 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Dogs don't bark in your HOA? That doesn't sound healthy.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:57 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Dogs don't bark in your HOA? That doesn't sound healthy.
Not more than a couple of barks. Barking continuously night and day gets the dog or the owner the boot. But your question is prime example why people need HOA rules. You consider a dog barking non-stop to be normal, but regular people find it a nuisance to the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay