Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 01:55 PM

9 posts, read 26,915 times

Advertisements

Last week as I was digging out my driveway from 2 feet of snow in Stoney Creek Ontario (near Niagara Falls), I decided we needed a much deserved break from the snow and cold, so I booked a week at a condo in Indian Shores for January 12th. We've never been to Florida (other than Disney about 20 years ago) and are looking for a peaceful leisurley week in the sun. We don't have a big budget to spend, so could anyone recommend places that offer good value? We're interested in golf, shopping (factory outlets?), beaches and restaurants (my daughter's fave is The Cheescake Factory). I'll be renting a car at TPA airport. My wife is also a member of the Red Hat Society and will be looking to meet any Red Hatters in the area.
Thanks in advance...
Vic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 02:11 PM

326 posts, read 1,371,370 times
Selection of restaurants north and south on Gulf Blvd, John's Pass to the south, Clearwater to the north. Golf is 5/10 mins away over the ICW. Tyrone Mall south about 5/6 miles, factory outlet over sunshine skyway. Use to see the red hatters at King Buffet on 49th st & Park Blvd. Have fun!

Old 01-07-2008, 04:25 AM

66 posts, read 282,665 times
We'll be in this area on Jan. 19th. Anyone know how bad the Gulf Blvd. construction will be around the 19500 address area?

Thanks.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:01 PM

367 posts, read 1,686,988 times
The construction will be ongoing along Gulf Blvd, I don't have the precise street location, but it is around 195th. I drove down there yesterday and if you are familiar with that stretch, I stopped around the 7-11 for a few minutes as the road was down to one lane between there and just north of Salt Rock Grill. YOu could try checking with City of Indian Shores for precise details nearer to your visit. As an owner on Indian Shores, I'm convincing myself it will be worth it in the end, seems to have been going on forever

Old 01-07-2008, 03:03 PM

Meant to say, it's slowing down traffic, but unless you are in a major hurry, it's bearable. If you are on vacation, shouldn't be too much of an issue. However, you might like to note that I also saw they have changed the speed limit to 25 from around Indian Rocks center down past the Narrows to Indian Shores. So be careful, it used to be 30 and 35.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:18 PM

192 posts, read 1,164,542 times
If you're a seafood fan you'll be interested in knowing that stone crab claws are in season; Crabby Bill's is one restaurant on the beach (I think it's Indian Rocks Beach) that has them....plenty of others as well.

Enjoy your trip!

Old 01-08-2008, 04:21 AM

36 posts, read 83,815 times
They do love their construction here, don't they? I'm in IRB and do my best to avoid Gulf Blvd, especially on weekends.
Any of the small cottages along Gulf are great for vacationing. Friends of mine stayed at the Blue Heron recently. The cottages are adorable, right off the beach. Not sure of their availability now but definitely worth calling. see Blue Heron Cottage. Includes a virtual tour.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:36 PM

9 posts, read 26,915 times
Thanks to all who have replied...my rental is in 'Quite Waters', 19931 Gulf Blvd.
The owner suggested Crabby Bills for great seafood. He also said there is a flea market/farmers market nearby. My daughter is concerned that there is no internet connection in the building, and will have to scan the area for wireless connections with her laptop. Are there any factory outlet malls in the area?
Vic

Old 01-09-2008, 08:48 PM

326 posts, read 1,371,370 times
Outlet mall is in Ellenton (I-75 north of Sarasota). Try primeoutlet.com, should give a list of all stores.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:28 AM

you can get wireless access in Panera Bread at Belleair Bluffs
go north from Quiet Waters through Indian Rocks and Belleair Beach, take the bridge from Belleair to mainland it's just past (more) roadworks on the right at the top of the hill - about 5 mins from your condo maybe 8 and nice food there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay