Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2007, 02:55 PM

3 posts, read 14,257 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I am moving to Tampa in June (well back to tampa - long story!) I hate the north (I currently live in CT)

Anyways - to my point I like to plan stuff in advanced and have everything all situated. Beforehand I lived at one of those student type apartments (I was in boardwalk off morris bridge) I didn't mind it there. I was only going to be there for a short time, and didn't want to buy furniture!

However, now I am relocating down there in June w/ my boyfriend. I've been looking at apartment websites and found some nice places! Now I know some areas to avoid. (ie: myself for instant I would never want to live on Busch Blvd or fletcher ave!) However, there are some areas that I am not too sure about and that is where I am hoping you guys can help me out!

I am looking for a safer area to live in. I like New Tampa a lot. However, I don't really want to look in just one area. I'm also looking at Carrollwood and lately have been finding apartments that I really like online. The ones that I am interested in most is Lakeside north at carrollwood and palencia. Also, in lutz I like preserve at deer park and in new tampa, I like Oaks Ramble. The reviews online seem okay on them except for deer park. There were only 4 reviews though unlike the other 3 I mentioned.

I think when I lived there I went through Carrollwood once. I never had any reason to go there. I was just wondering what the traffic is like on Dale Mabry compared to Fowler Ave, travel time to usf, downtown and the beaches is from there, etc.

I heard south tampa is nice, but I am finishing up school at USF, so I don't want to be too far away from the school and I don't want to be too far away from downtown for my boyfriend.

How are Citrus Park and town n country areas?

Thanks for any tips, suggestions, etc in advance!

Last edited by ocean7breeze; 12-24-2007 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: repeated myself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 06:13 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,460 times
Carrolwood and Westchase are closer to the beaches, but the rush-hour drive downtown will drive you nuts. It's a bit of a hike to USF, too. I can't comment on those particular apartments, but keep in mind that when you read ratings at ApartmentRatings.com, for example, most people rate places as a means of retaliation or to vent frustration. Many tenants are happy and rarely bother to rate where they live online.
What's your price range and what do you look for in a place? Do you mind strip malls and big box stores or do you want to walk on occasion? Do you want to socialize with neighbors or keep to yourself?

Old 12-28-2007, 06:26 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
Westchase/Citrus Park area are nice, however the trip to USF is going to be a lot longer. The trip downtown is a good 45 minutes depending on the time of day, perhaps even longer during rush hour. The good thing is you can get on the express way to go downtown. From Carrollwood trip downtown is going to be about the same length of time and I275 is heavy going downtown.
The trip to USF shouldn't be as bad from either place as you are going north when most are going south, although if you go at rush hour it will be heavy especially anything east bound.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:49 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,599,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean7breeze View Post
Hi!
I am moving to Tampa in June (well back to tampa - long story!) I hate the north (I currently live in CT)

Anyways - to my point I like to plan stuff in advanced and have everything all situated. Beforehand I lived at one of those student type apartments (I was in boardwalk off morris bridge) I didn't mind it there. I was only going to be there for a short time, and didn't want to buy furniture!

However, now I am relocating down there in June w/ my boyfriend. I've been looking at apartment websites and found some nice places! Now I know some areas to avoid. (ie: myself for instant I would never want to live on Busch Blvd or fletcher ave!) However, there are some areas that I am not too sure about and that is where I am hoping you guys can help me out!

I am looking for a safer area to live in. I like New Tampa a lot. However, I don't really want to look in just one area. I'm also looking at Carrollwood and lately have been finding apartments that I really like online. The ones that I am interested in most is Lakeside north at carrollwood and palencia. Also, in lutz I like preserve at deer park and in new tampa, I like Oaks Ramble. The reviews online seem okay on them except for deer park. There were only 4 reviews though unlike the other 3 I mentioned.

I think when I lived there I went through Carrollwood once. I never had any reason to go there. I was just wondering what the traffic is like on Dale Mabry compared to Fowler Ave, travel time to usf, downtown and the beaches is from there, etc.

I heard south tampa is nice, but I am finishing up school at USF, so I don't want to be too far away from the school and I don't want to be too far away from downtown for my boyfriend.

How are Citrus Park and town n country areas?

Thanks for any tips, suggestions, etc in advance!
Just wanted to say first that Fletcher Avenue west of Florida is NOT a bad place to live at all. The area I think you're referring to is around the University at 15th-22nd Ave aka Suitcase City.

For the Carrollwood apartments, I would choose Lakeside over Palencia just for accessability (no stop light at Palencia). Both places are owned by mega corporations. But, either community is only as good as the management. If the onsite management is awful, then...(well, you know what). I'd suggest if possible, that you visit the community and try to meet some of the people who live there. I also think that both these communities are paying for internet placement on the search engines. There are many other nice communities in the Carrollwood area, depending on your budget e.g., Countrywood & Grand Oasis.

Citrus Park, Westchase, and Town N Country have some really nice apartments as well, e.g., Westpark Village. But keep in mind that your boyfriend is now going to travel east and south to get downtown. Living in this area will increase both your commute times.

Deer Park and Oaks Ramble are further north for the downtown commuter, but it should be easier for your trip to USF. Sorry, I don't know more about these two.

Dale Mabry Highway is stop and go with lots of feeder streets, commercial business, and traffic lights. When the lights are synchronized and during non peak travel times, I can drive from Fletcher to the Raymond James Stadium in 12 minutes. I'll take Dale Mabry over Bruce B Downs any time of day.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:33 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
At least you have more than 1 road to travel on if you live in Carrollwood area. Bruce B Downs is the only road out.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:37 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,699,154 times
I personally don't like Carrollwood, too much traffic, older, crappy apartment communities--too congested! That would be fine if there were enough lanes!

Old 12-29-2007, 09:16 PM

4 posts, read 14,474 times
Carrollwood is a great place to live in tampa. it's considered to be middle class and offers just about everything yo could want. about the apartments you like(palencia and lakeside north) ican say that i lived at lakeside north and it was great to me. the management was just fine, i never had any problems. i have learned if you pay your rent on time, don't complain about every little thing and show yourself as friendly they are more than willing to take care of you. by the way, if i'm not mistaken both of those places are owned by the same company - aimco. you can check out the managemeny company online as well. personally i think it's a little bit far from usf, new tampa being closer, but it is a very nice area to live in. good luck and God bless.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:18 PM

4 posts, read 14,474 times
sorry for all of the errors it's late at night
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay