Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 08:51 PM

9 posts, read 18,620 times

Advertisements

First time posting here! Anyway, due to a great job offer, I'm relocating from San Francisco to St. Pete.

I've visited a few times before while in the Tampa area, but don't have a feel for actually "living" there. My main concern is that I read a lot about this "high crime" that goes on. Now, living in San Francisco is certainly not crime free and I'm used to seeing homeless, drug addicts and the like on a daily basis. Is this high crime on the lines of that or is it physical assaults and muggings?

We are looking at the Skyline Fifth apartments next week since that seems to be the most secure and close to the Kenwood area. Here, we can pretty much walk everywhere, is that the case in that area or do you have to drive even to just go to the local tavern, convenient store or coffee shop?

Any info on the Kenwood neighborhood, the Skyline Fifth building and anything else would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 07:03 AM

17,504 posts, read 38,984,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfguy1 View Post
First time posting here! Anyway, due to a great job offer, I'm relocating from San Francisco to St. Pete.

I've visited a few times before while in the Tampa area, but don't have a feel for actually "living" there. My main concern is that I read a lot about this "high crime" that goes on. Now, living in San Francisco is certainly not crime free and I'm used to seeing homeless, drug addicts and the like on a daily basis. Is this high crime on the lines of that or is it physical assaults and muggings?

We are looking at the Skyline Fifth apartments next week since that seems to be the most secure and close to the Kenwood area. Here, we can pretty much walk everywhere, is that the case in that area or do you have to drive even to just go to the local tavern, convenient store or coffee shop?

Any info on the Kenwood neighborhood, the Skyline Fifth building and anything else would be appreciated.
Believe me, crime and homelessness in St. Pete is NOTHING compared to SF! People make a bigger deal out of it than it is. Stay out of the "Midtown" area just south of downtown and you won't have any problems. I don't live in St. Pete, but go often. My cousin used to live in SF and now lives in St Pete, he loves it. Downtown has a lot of cool stuff to walk to and beautiful waterfront parks.

Good luck to you!

Old 09-03-2014, 05:24 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,781,281 times
It is a nice and up coming area with a lot of cool activities going on actually since the college is downtown so more liberal politically speaking.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:56 AM

Thank you both for the input!

Old 09-04-2014, 10:52 AM

745 posts, read 1,578,268 times
agree with Gypsychic, the crime in St. Pete is NOTHING compared to SF. You won't see anything like the Tenderloin here, and thank goodness for that. I think the city is pretty great. It has good mix of everything that I want: great downtown, best beaches in the country, walkability, traffic isn't bad at all, big city right next door, ocean air, liberal, gay friendly, young, etc.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:02 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,070,652 times
You will soon get to know the areas to avoid walking when its late/dark. Walking is unusual except close to campuses, downtown and in malls - lol a mixture of very hot weather/storms and/or poor transportation. Anyone who has not lived in a major conurbation things that the crime here is bad, truly it is not. I don't know that exact apartment building but you will definitely LOVE downtown St Pete. Congratulations on the job.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:05 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,070,652 times
Uh Oh, I just wondered if this was the old Plaza on 5th and it is. The building is nice, the area is not marvelous. Its right on 34th St and 5th Ave, I just drove by there today, its a pretty edgy area with a few dodgy hotels/motels that have hit the press a few times for being full of undesirables. I think you may be gated and the place looks nice, I just checked it out. I would not walk there at night. However, its a good spot for getting around.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:36 PM

Thanks, Mateo384, all qualities I definitely want in a city.

Lavender, thanks for the info! I've heard about the shady hotel there from google reviews. lol We are looking at other places downtown St. Pete, so the Skyline may be out if the area is "too" edgy.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:32 PM

180 posts, read 554,579 times
SF guy, St Pete does have some areas you would not want to be in at night. Anything right along 34th st N is going to be full of hookers going from hotel to hotel. I would want to live on the corner of 5th ave n and 34th st.
Crime reports dot com will show you where the good and bad areas are. As for comparing it to SF you really can't. Think of St Pete as basically Berkeley in FL. There are also bad parts of Berkeley. Think of South St Pete as Oakland. Nice parts of Oakland but I wouldn't want to be wandering around at night.
However, it's a great city and I have lived in SF and I love it here. Downtown is fun and vibrant and it's easy to get around to go bar hopping. As long as you're not expecting the big city life you'll love it here. IM me if you want more specific info as I have lived in both places for years and can probably give you some more insight into making that move. Good luck!

Old 09-07-2014, 07:45 PM

55 posts, read 62,273 times
I agree with Lavender. That is not a great area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: