Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 05:33 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,518,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I thought the state did suspend the driver's licenses of those who've been caught uninsured. May take a while to catch up with this one, though....

So what? Than they drive on a suspended license, also very common in FL.

FL DOES NOT unlike other states impound the vehicles when a driver doesn't have insurance, they get a ticket and off they go. So the license gets suspended, do you really think people who drive with no car insurance care about whether they're license is valid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Florida is ranked 5th in the US for uninsured drivers. 1 out of 4 drivers does not have insurance. It would be a lot better driving in Florida if they could get these 25% deadbeats off the road.
No surprise, there is no real incentive to get insurance in FL.

It's amazing how in states that cars gets impounded and the driver is now faced with two choices 1) get your ducks in a row to get your back or 2) let sit in an impound lot which is expensive, how that can motivate someone to get insurance.

But if you don't lose the car, well keep on driving and hope you don't get caught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 05:49 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,024,514 times
For the umteeth time:
Florida law: If you are stopped by a LEO and cannot produce any proof of insurance at the moment you get a summons. If you provide proof of insurance within the allowed time frame the summons is dismissed and a fine is assessed.

If you fail to prove you had insurance at the time the summons was issued the process begins. Your license is suspended. Your registration is cancelled. If they catch your car on the road it is impounded and you go to jail.

Impounding somebody's car because they dont have proof insurance with them is ridiculous.

A LEO can get the DHSMV database to determine if your insurance has been cancelled. If it shows as cancelled you will be arrested and car impounded at that time.

There is no free ride for not having insurance. The law gives you the benefit of the doubt and allows you to prove you were insured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
So what? Than they drive on a suspended license, also very common in FL.

FL DOES NOT unlike other states impound the vehicles when a driver doesn't have insurance, they get a ticket and off they go. So the license gets suspended, do you really think people who drive with no car insurance care about whether they're license is valid.

No surprise, there is no real incentive to get insurance in FL.

It's amazing how in states that cars gets impounded and the driver is now faced with two choices 1) get your ducks in a row to get your back or 2) let sit in an impound lot which is expensive, how that can motivate someone to get insurance.

But if you don't lose the car, well keep on driving and hope you don't get caught.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
For the umteeth time:
Florida law: If you are stopped by a LEO and cannot produce any proof of insurance at the moment you get a summons. If you provide proof of insurance within the allowed time frame the summons is dismissed and a fine is assessed.

If you fail to prove you had insurance at the time the summons was issued the process begins. Your license is suspended. Your registration is cancelled. If they catch your car on the road it is impounded and you go to jail.

Impounding somebody's car because they dont have proof insurance with them is ridiculous.

A LEO can get the DHSMV database to determine if your insurance has been cancelled. If it shows as cancelled you will be arrested and car impounded at that time.

There is no free ride for not having insurance. The law gives you the benefit of the doubt and allows you to prove you were insured.

Save it will you. They get a ticket whether they actually have insurance or they don't. Normal people who have car insurance keep that information in the car along with their registration.

While there could be the rare case where someone takes the card out of the car and forgets to put it back in, most of the time they just don't have it.

They get a ticket and they drive off, eventually if left unresolved the DL will get suspended.

Do you really think most of them care? They take the chance and drive around with no insurance and no valid license.

Not have some nonsense excuse that the insurance card is at home. You keep it in the car, hence the term car insurance.

And FL doesn't impound cars, I know you think FL is paradise, but who in their right mind defends people who drive illegally.

FL wouldn't have so many uninsured on the road if the vehicles were impounded.

Something is out of whack that the 4th most populated state in the nation has so many uninsured.

Reason, it's very easy in FL to get away with it.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:03 PM

As luck would have saw an episode of "Cops" tonight and it is often filmed in FL.

Woman is stopped, her license expired 2 yrs ago, registration was expired. No insurance of course.

Now she was arrested due to not having a valid license, and also issued citations for no license and no current registration.

The vehicle was NOT IMPOUNDED, so don't say that they are. A family member was going to be called to come get it.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:35 PM

4,091 posts, read 5,975,559 times
Quote:
Save it will you. They get a ticket whether they actually have insurance or they don't. Normal people who have car insurance keep that information in the car along with their registration.

While there could be the rare case where someone takes the card out of the car and forgets to put it back in, most of the time they just don't have it.

They get a ticket and they drive off, eventually if left unresolved the DL will get suspended.

Do you really think most of them care? They take the chance and drive around with no insurance and no valid license.

Not have some nonsense excuse that the insurance card is at home. You keep it in the car, hence the term car insurance.

And FL doesn't impound cars, I know you think FL is paradise, but who in their right mind defends people who drive illegally.

Something is out of whack that the 4th most populated state in the nation has so many uninsured.

Can you provide proof that the majority of people don't care OR that impounding cars will make people care? If not, I'll just assume that you're spewing nonsense.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:40 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,547,726 times
Florida should make the penalties way harder...almost weekly you hear about crashes, hit and runs, etc. and most are for people who don't have a valid DL and or prior DUI.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:16 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,024,514 times
You save it. Your pet peeve is incorrect.

The FL law gives their citizens the benefit of the doubt. It is a temporary reprieve. There is no way around it. They DO impound cars. Just not for the reason you think they should. A person without their insurance card should not have to suffer the hassle and expense of impounding their vehicle because they dont have a document proving that they have met the financial responsibility laws. A few months ago it happened to me. My new policy paperwork came in. I had the card sitting on my desk. I just forgot to put it my wallet. I carry my registration and insurance card with me so if my vehicle is stolen the thief does not have those documents or my address. I was stopped and told the deputy what had happened. I was ticketed and had to produce my card in order to have the summons dismissed. I paid my $10 fine and put my insurance card in my wallet.

There are situations where you dont get the benefit of the doubt. DUI. no license (or suspended license),
A "no insurance" notation in the DHSMV data base will all get you arrested on the spot.

It is NOT easy to get away with driving without insurance. Failure to prove it triggers a response.
If the insurance companies were more diligent in updating DHSMV of insurance cancellations it would be a better FL.

Quote:

Old 09-07-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
and most are for people who don't have a valid DL and or prior DUI.
Can you prove this or are you just talking nonsense?

Old 09-07-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Can you provide proof that the majority of people don't care OR that impounding cars will make people care? If not, I'll just assume that you're spewing nonsense.
Try putting on your thinking cap.

If the car is impounded and in addition to losing your transportation you have to pay impound fees, you will get taken care of(you know having car insurance) to get it back.

Amazing how that works in other states, most people need their car to get to work, to the store, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
You save it. Your pet peeve is incorrect.

The FL law gives their citizens the benefit of the doubt. It is a temporary reprieve. There is no way around it. They DO impound cars. Just not for the reason you think they should. A person without their insurance card should not have to suffer the hassle and expense of impounding their vehicle because they dont have a document proving that they have met the financial responsibility laws. A few months ago it happened to me. My new policy paperwork came in. I had the card sitting on my desk. I just forgot to put it my wallet. I carry my registration and insurance card with me so if my vehicle is stolen the thief does not have those documents or my address. I was stopped and told the deputy what had happened. I was ticketed and had to produce my card in order to have the summons dismissed. I paid my $10 fine and put my insurance card in my wallet.

There are situations where you dont get the benefit of the doubt. DUI. no license (or suspended license),
A "no insurance" notation in the DHSMV data base will all get you arrested on the spot.

It is NOT easy to get away with driving without insurance. Failure to prove it triggers a response.
If the insurance companies were more diligent in updating DHSMV of insurance cancellations it would be a better FL.

Actually it is very easy, because at least 25% of the FL drivers are doing it, and getting away with it.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Try putting on your thinking cap.

If the car is impounded and in addition to losing your transportation you have to pay impound fees, you will get taken care of(you know having car insurance) to get it back.

In other words, no, you don't have any proof that this is actually effective?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay