U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 05:42 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,803,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetrunjibbz8l View Post
I am a 26 year old single woman who is looking to locate to Florida at some point during this winter. I am trying to research the various areas of the state and have been told that I may like tampa. I do hold a degree in professional communications, but I'd ideally like to start graduate school within the next semester to pursue a degree in education. I'd like to teach younger children as a long term goal. I am looking for an area with DECENT public transportation as I unfortunately can't drive due to having Epilepsy (i am otherwise healthy). Also, I know some people say it doesn't matter, but I'm a lesbian so I would prefer to live in an area that is very "gay friendly". any information that you could give me about tampa neighborhoods, colleges, friendliness levels, etc would be greatly appreciated! i want to try to get down south by april!
I'd suggest downtown St. Pete, Kenwood or Gulfport..these are very gay friendly areas in Pinellas County, Pinellas has a better handle on public transportation then Hillsborough in my opinion(although South Tampa public transportation is decent).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 11:32 AM

849 posts, read 3,282,727 times
Default Tampa trans is very limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquintana View Post
I remember reading this on the Florida thread. Tampa does offer public transportation. I haven't seen anyone react weirdly to lesbians or gays here...so I deem this to be a "gay friendly" area. College-USF, U of T, HCC, and other little colleges that have distance learning (such as DeVry). You could try Ybor. There are a lot of things to do there!

For some reason if you have to take more than one bus, the connections are not timed to meet up. you wind up sitting in the station or on a corner for an hour. They've cut some lines so it's almost impossible to go from University to any place else and you wouldn't want to stand on some of those corners especially after dark. This is not unusual in Southern cities as pub. trans is seen primarily to be for suburbanites who travel in and out of the suburbs one time a day. another thing I thought about with St. Pete is that it is pretty compact so cabs won't cost a fortune although they will cost a fair amount to go any distance. Get settled on a bus line and make friends with cars. That's just about everyone you meet.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:35 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,443,831 times
I'm gay.

I don't Drive.

I moved here from Boston.

Dying to go back.

Don't do it. There are gay people here, but they either are into drugs and getting hammered every day or "don't associate with gays". Go figure that last one, but it's true. There are a FEW decent people here, but it's just not all that great if you're gay.

Transport absolutley SUCKS.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:33 PM

4,469 posts, read 6,574,869 times
Definitely downtown St. Pete-- Kenwood, Old Southeast, most places pretty close in (as long as you avoid the parts that are obviously ghetto).
Dunedin is also extremely walkable and pretty gay-friendly, but nowhere near a school, and getting there by bus would take you an horrific amount of time and energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay