U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 11:55 PM

7 posts, read 35,877 times

Advertisements

I am a 26 year old single woman who is looking to locate to Florida at some point during this winter. I am trying to research the various areas of the state and have been told that I may like tampa. I do hold a degree in professional communications, but I'd ideally like to start graduate school within the next semester to pursue a degree in education. I'd like to teach younger children as a long term goal. I am looking for an area with DECENT public transportation as I unfortunately can't drive due to having Epilepsy (i am otherwise healthy). Also, I know some people say it doesn't matter, but I'm a lesbian so I would prefer to live in an area that is very "gay friendly". any information that you could give me about tampa neighborhoods, colleges, friendliness levels, etc would be greatly appreciated! i want to try to get down south by april!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 04:06 AM

792 posts, read 2,089,955 times
I've heard that Ybor is a friendly place for homosexuals to live. You might try there.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:43 AM

39 posts, read 163,684 times
I would highly consider downtown Saint Petersburg. St Pete has a large gay community and you could be within walking distance to USF which has graduate programs in education (http://www.stpt.usf.edu/coe/Programs.htm) Downtown also has a Publix supermarket, drug stores, plenty of restaurants and soon Macy's will be downtown. There are plenty of empty condo's so finding one to rent should not be a problem. Good Luck!

Old 12-31-2007, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,220 times
I think you'll be disappointed in the lack of mass transit - buses try to fill the bill, but it is slow, dirty and frustrating. Tampa (at least the city govt) is not gay friendly - St Pete is. However, this is, like the rest of America, a stew of all the best and some of the worst of mankind - I think it is a great place, with, among other things, lots of Red Sox Fans.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:30 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,277,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetrunjibbz8l View Post
I am a 26 year old single woman who is looking to locate to Florida at some point during this winter. I am trying to research the various areas of the state and have been told that I may like tampa. I do hold a degree in professional communications, but I'd ideally like to start graduate school within the next semester to pursue a degree in education. I'd like to teach younger children as a long term goal. I am looking for an area with DECENT public transportation as I unfortunately can't drive due to having Epilepsy (i am otherwise healthy). Also, I know some people say it doesn't matter, but I'm a lesbian so I would prefer to live in an area that is very "gay friendly". any information that you could give me about tampa neighborhoods, colleges, friendliness levels, etc would be greatly appreciated! i want to try to get down south by april!
I remember reading this on the Florida thread. Tampa does offer public transportation. I haven't seen anyone react weirdly to lesbians or gays here...so I deem this to be a "gay friendly" area. College-USF, U of T, HCC, and other little colleges that have distance learning (such as DeVry). You could try Ybor. There are a lot of things to do there!

Old 12-31-2007, 10:31 AM

2,467 posts, read 11,538,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetrunjibbz8l View Post
My question would be why Florida? That might give us an idea about whether the city is a good fit for you, etc. I can tell you that there are several grad schools in the area, however, there is not a good public transportation system at all. I would highly sugggest another city if this is a priority. I would also not consider Tampa to be the most "gay friendly" city. I'm not sure about public transpo in Orlando, but that might be a better fit for you than Tampa.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:46 AM

2,403 posts, read 2,041,505 times
if you want a great transportation system then tampa nor st. pete is for you, there are no gay areas in tampa or st. pete, just a couple of old delapitated gay bars, they are trying to turn ybor city, which is in tampas worst ghetto into a homo friendly area but i wouldnt recommend living there, the people are somewhat friendly, but tampa really isnt anything special, it'll bore you quickly, we were voted the least walkable city in america, theres really nothing here, just empty streets, trialer parks, and strip mall after strip mall after strip mall

Old 12-31-2007, 02:16 PM

20 posts, read 67,133 times
Default Why are you leaving Boston?

If I may ask why are you leaving Boston? I moved down here in Sept. with my girlfriend and due to her homesickness we are moving back to Mass. when our lease is up. I enjoy leaving in downtown St. Pete, there is also something going on downtown on the weekends. Do you reccomend any areas of Boston to live in?

Old 01-01-2008, 11:07 AM

849 posts, read 3,278,994 times
St.Pete is a bit better for public trans and if you live within .25 mi. of a bus route you can be eligible for DART. You'll have to get your doctor to sign off on the application but with epilepsy, that shouldn't be a problem. you an get the form online http://www.psta.org and have your doc there fill it out. They send a cab for you when you need it. Can recommend a neuro in St. Pete if you pm me.
There is also St. Petersburg College which is now a 4 year school and has an alternative track program to get teaching cert. don't know if your degree will qualify however. BTW because of "no child left behind." most states are requiring a 2.75 GPA minimum and many want a 3.0 from your degree program to get regular certification.
I've lived in both places as an older married woman, so I don't know the club scene but my impression is that although St. Pete doesn't have the "hip" hype of Tampa it will suit better overall. I'm from NY and have some connection with Boston. The Kenwood neighborhood is an older historic, think Craftstman style, area near downtown that has attracted a lot of the gay population. We have a better Arts infrastructure than Tampa if that is of interest. Also it's a real schlepp to the beach from anywhere in Tampa and the traffic is a horror. In St. P you an get the trolley which is part of the mass transit system. Our downtown has a few things going for it. Tampa rolls up it's sidewalks at 6 pm.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:42 PM

14 posts, read 50,663 times
other than tampa if you are looking for strictly academic oriented environment Gainesville and University of Florida is an awsome place for young people that are still getting education. It's shelter from the typical city environment, the city revolves around education, partying at night (if you prefer) and research facilities. Rent is cheap ( student income-relevant), there is public transportation and your main focus would be your studies since there isnt anything much. All the beaches are an 1-2 hours away, the weather is about the same as the rest of the florida.

I am actually graduating from UF in May and I was looking to move to Boston. Unfortunatelly I have never gotten a chance to visit the city, but I am in love with the intelligence and the reputation of Boston area of being sophisticated and career oriented. I was born in Europe and FL lifestyle is sort of too slow of a pace and mentality is too melow for me. I am in need of dynamic.

FL will def shelter you from the roughness of a big developed cities, but there are a lot of senior people living in FL due to cheap insurance and nicer climate. If you are up for a chilled-calm environment then FL is good. Jobs are difficult to find with less pay than in the north.

Gay people are welcome, the reality is that some people are less accepted than the others, but thats everywhere it seems like!

Why would you want to leave Boston?

Happy New Year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay