U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2014, 08:26 AM

4 posts, read 11,407 times

Advertisements

Looking to possibly move to the Wesley Chapel area next summer. I will have a son that will be a rising Junior in High School. Schools will dictate where we live until he graduates so we will rent for now. Focus is on Wiregrass Ranch High School. I have heard some great reviews and it is rated higher on GreatSchools.com. Can anyone tell me about the student climate there? My son is a good student but not a AP student but I still want him in the best place possible. Coming from a school district that is nationally recognized. Does Wiregrass have a JROTC and if so what branch? Also looked at James Mitchell but it seems less diverse there. Coming from a school with little diversity so we hope to change that. We are a interracial family. Thanks for your help!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 10:35 PM

3,710 posts, read 5,265,629 times
If you are not set for WR, I recommend looking into other schools. Look into Lutz (Steinbrenner HS), or Fishhawk Ranch (Newsome HS), or South Tampa (Plant HS) - these in my opinion might be much better options if you want best schools. Wiregrass Ranch high is way overcrowded (most overcrowded school in Pasco), and the quality is going downhill, I am not going to be suprised to see grade drop there soon... Yes, WR is the best in Wesley Chapel (one out of two schools LOL), but there are much stronger schools in TB area.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:04 AM

27,061 posts, read 44,195,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heididdavidson View Post
Looking to possibly move to the Wesley Chapel area next summer. I will have a son that will be a rising Junior in High School. Schools will dictate where we live until he graduates so we will rent for now. Focus is on Wiregrass Ranch High School. I have heard some great reviews and it is rated higher on GreatSchools.com. Can anyone tell me about the student climate there? My son is a good student but not a AP student but I still want him in the best place possible. Coming from a school district that is nationally recognized. Does Wiregrass have a JROTC and if so what branch? Also looked at James Mitchell but it seems less diverse there. Coming from a school with little diversity so we hope to change that. We are a interracial family. Thanks for your help!
Many people are very positive about that school. It is a newer school and many students like aside from the courses the newer buildings and sports program they offer.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:50 AM

5 posts, read 7,277 times
We are looking at Wiregrass Ranch High school as well. EngGirl what is your base on the remark about the quality going down hill at this school? For this year the ranking was good. I find comments on Steinbrenner and Newsome being over crowded as well. Are they any more information on those schools? Thank you.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:50 AM

3,710 posts, read 5,265,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmon View Post
We are looking at Wiregrass Ranch High school as well. EngGirl what is your base on the remark about the quality going down hill at this school? For this year the ranking was good. I find comments on Steinbrenner and Newsome being over crowded as well. Are they any more information on those schools? Thank you.
As I stated in my original comment - "quality is going down the hill", so it's not a science to predict grade drop sometime soon.

This school was designed and build to accommodate 1700 students and now has over 2300. We are talking about extra 600+ students!!! And hold on, new communities like Arbor Woods, Union Park, County Walk, Estancia, and one more on SR 56 just a mile down the road from the school - all zoned to this school!
If you believe this increase will not impact school grade and overall quality of education, I have a different opinion.

Did you see what they decided to do for now? Let 10-12 grades start their classes at 7:30 (and be done before 2 pm) and 9th grade students to start at 10.20 am (and be done at 4:40 pm). This is the only solution they had being so overcrowded (besides offering classes online).

Yes, Pasco is aware of this problem and has plans to build and open combined middle/high school in 2 years (for 2016-17 school year). It will be close to the area where shopping plaza with Cobb movie theater is. Now we are talking about rezoning that would in fact will take place to relief Wiregrass High. TO be honest I don't see new upcoming communities being transferred there. I predict Seven Oaks being rezoned to new schools, it's just geographically make more sense for school commute.

Even with the addition of new schools then 3 Wesley Chapel high schools still will be packed.

Of course it's just my opinion and it's really up to parents to decided if they want their kids be in portable classrooms located in the area where sport activities were supposed to take place as a part of PE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay