Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 10:09 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntiejet View Post
Are the units in Kings Point and Century Village overran with Palmetto bugs (cockroaches)? How are these places maintained for bug control?
I don't know about Century Village, but I don't hear too many complaints about roaches at Kings Point. However, someone did tell me that roaches tend to come in off of overhanging trees like oaks, so that's something to keep in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 12:46 PM

5 posts, read 19,615 times
Thanks I appreciate it I would like to retire to Florida from the Northeast but I am pertrified of roaches.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:43 PM

676 posts, read 1,271,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntiejet View Post
Thanks I appreciate it I would like to retire to Florida from the Northeast but I am pertrified of roaches.
We're in Apollo Beach and I've not seen any roaches in the area where we live. However, we do get our house and lot treated regularly for bugs and pests; we rarely see anything....except damned love bugs.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:51 PM

3 posts, read 21,675 times
The wife and I did an extensive tour in August and in March before that. In the two trips, we visited The Villages, Solivita the first time. In August we visited Solivita again, Arlington Ridge in Leesburg and Heritage Hills in Clermont. The August trip allowed us to use the Stay and Play packages offered by these communities. So here is our take:

Solivita - beautiful, well planned community. Golf course, softball field, activities and clubs too numerous to mention. Beautiful landscaping al around, including individual properties. Two very large clubhouses with pools and spas - very nice. People are nice and very friendly. We heard no complaints from the residents we talked to. Many floorpan available with models on site to see. Even a restaurant on site. Now for what we see as negatives - houses can get expensive to build. It depends on what you want. Restaurant was okay but we would tire of it quickly. Once you leave the grounds, you will have to drive a distance to find shopping malls and the like. For us, the floorpans offered really didn't meet our needs. I know some will question this, but we need a formal living room - for the grand piano, and a formal dining room plus a family room and at least three bedrooms and two baths. We have three sons and soon to be three grandchildren. Have to have space for them to visit without being on top of one another.

Arlington Ridge - a nice community. Much smaller than Solivita. Good floorpans, especially for us. Leesburg area was ok - nothing special. Even though pricing was very good at Arlington Ridge, they are on their third developer. Lots of empty lots. We're not sure if they are going to make it financially. We are not going to take that type of risk.

Heritage Hills - we had no expectations going into Clermont and Heritage Hills. The first thing we noticed driving in on 27 was the rolling hills and the orange groves. My wife commented it was really beautiful! Good sign! We had a little confusion signing in but once that was taken care of, our visit was well beyond what we had seen prior. So, the pluses - A nice club house with a good size swimming pool. Many clubs and activities. No golf course or restaurant, but that didn't bother us. Of real interest was ann olive grove and a vineyard! These are maintained by the residents. This year the crop of grapes went to the local winery to be processed into wine. Hiking and fitness trails are available. As to floorplans, Heritage Hills has 4 that meet our needs. Our choice is the Doral. Four bedrooms, three baths, living room, dining room, family room, very nice kitchen and a three car garage - so I can keep my workshop. It seemed to be exactly what we were looking for. And the lot size is big enough to have a pool put in the backyard. As to shopping, everything is very close but you do need a car. We loved the big mall in Winter Garden which is only 20 minutes away by the back roads.

I did mention we visited the Villages. Impressive to say the least. The place is huge with over 100,000 people living there now. For us, way too big, nothing outside of it. And as someone else mentioned, the developer owns and controls everything. Not our style.

So when we finally sell in Connecticut - terrible market right now - we will go down again to visit Heritage Hills just to confirm what we believe. If so, that's were we will be. And we will be buying outright - no mortgage!!!

Old 12-20-2014, 12:55 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eal51 View Post
The wife and I did an extensive tour in August and in March before that. In the two trips, we visited The Villages, Solivita the first time. In August we visited Solivita again, Arlington Ridge in Leesburg and Heritage Hills in Clermont. The August trip allowed us to use the Stay and Play packages offered by these communities. So here is our take:

Solivita - beautiful, well planned community. Golf course, softball field, activities and clubs too numerous to mention. Beautiful landscaping al around, including individual properties. Two very large clubhouses with pools and spas - very nice. People are nice and very friendly. We heard no complaints from the residents we talked to. Many floorpan available with models on site to see. Even a restaurant on site. Now for what we see as negatives - houses can get expensive to build. It depends on what you want. Restaurant was okay but we would tire of it quickly. Once you leave the grounds, you will have to drive a distance to find shopping malls and the like. For us, the floorpans offered really didn't meet our needs. I know some will question this, but we need a formal living room - for the grand piano, and a formal dining room plus a family room and at least three bedrooms and two baths. We have three sons and soon to be three grandchildren. Have to have space for them to visit without being on top of one another.

Arlington Ridge - a nice community. Much smaller than Solivita. Good floorpans, especially for us. Leesburg area was ok - nothing special. Even though pricing was very good at Arlington Ridge, they are on their third developer. Lots of empty lots. We're not sure if they are going to make it financially. We are not going to take that type of risk.

Heritage Hills - we had no expectations going into Clermont and Heritage Hills. The first thing we noticed driving in on 27 was the rolling hills and the orange groves. My wife commented it was really beautiful! Good sign! We had a little confusion signing in but once that was taken care of, our visit was well beyond what we had seen prior. So, the pluses - A nice club house with a good size swimming pool. Many clubs and activities. No golf course or restaurant, but that didn't bother us. Of real interest was ann olive grove and a vineyard! These are maintained by the residents. This year the crop of grapes went to the local winery to be processed into wine. Hiking and fitness trails are available. As to floorplans, Heritage Hills has 4 that meet our needs. Our choice is the Doral. Four bedrooms, three baths, living room, dining room, family room, very nice kitchen and a three car garage - so I can keep my workshop. It seemed to be exactly what we were looking for. And the lot size is big enough to have a pool put in the backyard. As to shopping, everything is very close but you do need a car. We loved the big mall in Winter Garden which is only 20 minutes away by the back roads.

I did mention we visited the Villages. Impressive to say the least. The place is huge with over 100,000 people living there now. For us, way too big, nothing outside of it. And as someone else mentioned, the developer owns and controls everything. Not our style.

So when we finally sell in Connecticut - terrible market right now - we will go down again to visit Heritage Hills just to confirm what we believe. If so, that's were we will be. And we will be buying outright - no mortgage!!!
Wrong forum. Should be in the Ocala or Orlando forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay