Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2014, 11:54 AM

44 posts, read 50,213 times

Advertisements

Looking in to the St Petersburg area. Are there any hidden gems with lower cost of living? Still looking for half decent quality, just trying to save to buy property as opposed to dumping money away with rent for too long. Not in a retirement community. Not terribly far from things to do.Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 02:14 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,090,599 times
Thats a big ask, near to St Pete downtown is getting pricier and pricier and therefore having an effect on anywhere decent outlying. There are some newly refurbished 2/1 condos in seminole just on 125th and Park blvd. Were Section 8 and dreadful, new owners are gutting them and got rid of all the mangy tenants. Might try there.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:15 PM

464 posts, read 648,432 times
What's your price range? Low cost means different things to different people.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:22 PM

44 posts, read 50,213 times
I just can't fathom paying 1-2k a month for something I will never own...

Old 09-11-2014, 08:48 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,857,929 times
Look into Homepath properties. They seem to be mostly foreclosures and can be purchased with as little as 5% down, so perhaps you could do something sooner rather than later in terms of purchasing.

https://www.homepath.com/

Old 09-14-2014, 03:28 AM

792 posts, read 2,298,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breannagrooms4u View Post
Looking in to the St Petersburg area. Are there any hidden gems with lower cost of living? Still looking for half decent quality, just trying to save to buy property as opposed to dumping money away with rent for too long. Not in a retirement community. Not terribly far from things to do.Thanks
Forget about Pinellas county then. Everything in Pinellas is overpriced.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:33 AM

528 posts, read 871,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
Forget about Pinellas county then. Everything in Pinellas is overpriced.
For real? I saw a few cheaper listings in my travels right outside of downtown St Pete.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:26 AM

745 posts, read 1,589,251 times
I pay 695 including everything besides electric for a 750 sq ft. 1 bedroom apartment downtown. Look up Times Square Properties.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:47 PM

265 posts, read 403,755 times
South St Pete is the ghetto. That's presumably where you found affordable places nearby the downtown area. It's the same thing in Hillsborough county... The affordable places near downtown Tampa are ghetto. I'm not dissing the ghetto, either, as I live in the ghetto near Ybor. I'm just letting you know that's the case. As someone else already said, low cost means different things to different people. Seminole Heights in Tampa is a bit lower priced than St Pete, but doesn't have anything close to the nightlife that St Pete has. It is known for the few bars and restaurants it has though, so that's something. It has similar kind of hipster vibe that St Pete has, too, but more concentrated into a smaller area. Other than that, in terms of low cost, the only other place that comes to mind is the area around USF which is a worse kind of ghetto than where I live. Up there it's college kids and thugs. At least here it's poor families. I've never really seen or heard about any crime in my own neighborhood, although crime is reported in the party district often. University area is the same.

I'm not too up on the various areas of Pinellas county though, other than downtown St Pete, because I have lots of friends that live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: