Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 07:56 PM

356 posts, read 302,384 times

Advertisements

Hi all:

Thank you for your replies to my other posts. I am still looking. If I decide to take Riverview of off my list (due to the TECO smokestacks), what other areas have relatively newer homes? New Tampa right now just has townhomes. Seems like the only places with newer homes (meaning less $$ for repairs), are Riverview or Wesley Chapel.

I searched in Carrollowood, but, found nothing, same for Brandon. Looking up to $175k, needing minimal repairs, quiet, safe.

thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 09:04 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,462,880 times
Very hard to find a new home for your price range. Townhomes, yes. Maybe (and a big maybe) Lakeland, Apollo Beach, Ruskin, or Zephyrhills. Pulte Homes has them but it is North of Land O Lakes on the Veterans. Pretty far from anything.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:25 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
You can find homes in that price range in Wesley Chapel but it will be a resale and not a newer home.

Either it means waiting and saving more money or compromising on other areas that are not as close to shopping or further away from where the housing market has improved a lot.

Builders are offering some energy saving items which are morse costly while there are some resales out there in the mid 100's that need work but can be nice down the road.

You didn't mention if you want a 2/2 or 3/2 but you may want to check out in some other areas where the market had not yet recovered as in Wesley Chapel. Maybe try Land O'Lakes, New Port Richey but keep in mind you probably will need to be closer to 200k if you want a 3/2 in the better areas.

Keep in mind that homes build after 2003 are overall higher in price than prior to that date.

Some areas that may had some issues may now not have the issues any more due to people moving out that shouldn't have been there so check the area on different days and times to see for yourself if it is what fit your needs and what you like and you probably be able to find a nice home in your price range since most important is not to buy above your means.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:20 AM

212 posts, read 286,469 times
Try Trinity and Land O Lakes

Old 09-19-2014, 07:34 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,201,862 times
I think you are limiting yourself big time by requiring a newer home.

If I were you, in your situation I would look at home that have at least taken care of the big ticket items such as roof or AC systems recently. Those are significant and could add up more than 20K or so easily. Other small stuff like a dishwasher or a fridge, you could buy a warranted coverage for about $600/year until you have an emergency saving that you can self insure. Look for very well updated houses if you want to finance the improvement with your mortgage.

Good luck!

Old 09-19-2014, 07:43 PM

Thanks for the information. I am not opposed to something not so new, but, cannot afford to purchase home that has bad roof, bad a/c, bad appliances, etc.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:05 AM

389 posts, read 804,445 times
I am blown away by how much home builders have raised there prices in just 6 months! I was about to call you crazy.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:19 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,822,612 times
Opening yourself up to looking at older homes will help you potentially avoid costly CDD fees as well. You can find plenty of nice homes out there of varying ages. Homes with newer roofs. HVAC, kitchen/bath remodels, and such are plentiful.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:54 PM

Thank you all for your replies. Although, given the new USDA loan eligibility mapping locations, it would appear that my options have been severely limited.

It is encouraging to hear that there are "plentiful" homes, but, for someone looking in the $100 - $175k price range, finding, clean, quiet, safe properties that do not need new roofs, o new a/cs is proving to be extremely difficult.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:38 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,804,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student66 View Post
It is encouraging to hear that there are "plentiful" homes, but, for someone looking in the $100 - $175k price range, finding, clean, quiet, safe properties that do not need new roofs, o new a/cs is proving to be extremely difficult.
I am not sure if it will make you feel better, but the same is true for other price ranges as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay