U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 07:54 PM

2 posts, read 5,247 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband is getting a job in All Childrens hospital (both locations- Tampa and St. Pete, mostly SP) and we are moving in the summer. We haven't decided yet where to, and haven't visited yet.
We have a baby- will be 15 months when we move. So would need daycare or nanny. Prefrebly daycare. Good one though...
I would need to find a job- in IT, computers. Still haven't looked for one.
My husband would spend most his time in SP, but he prefers Tampa, since it has more to-do...? (is it true?)
to sum up:
- Need to rent -max $1500 (pretty sure we're not buying- any recomendations either way?)
-Need good daycare
- Prefer young active neighborhood (nearby restaurants and shopping) -with families
-Need to be not-too-far from hi-tech possible employers (does anybody know of any?)
-Want nearby park
-Want an area with a low crime rate

Also, questions:
-where to go/what to do- when we come to visit the area?
-Is it bad to be close to the airport (noise-wise)?

Thank you very much!!

Last edited by Yardena; 12-28-2007 at 08:17 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 11:32 PM

85 posts, read 113,722 times
Tampa has more going on and has a "buzz" in the air. Tampa has great night life districts and a handfull of high end shopping malls. South Tampa, for the most part, boasts charming old-florida neighborhoods and a young population. The rest of Tampa is built around the automobile and appears place-less. Tampa is located inland but well connected to the rest of the state. St Pete, thought quieter, projects a truly-defined sense of place. The city of St Pete is composed if several distinctive neighborhoods that radiate from a defined central city. Many of its cute neighborhoods are reflective of vinacular florida heritage; brick streets, bungalows, oak covered lanes, and neighborhood parks. St Pete is surrounded by the bay and has a defined waterfront. St Pete is not as sexy as Tampa or youthful but makes up for it by way of price and charm. St Pete is on the penisula but close to Clearwater, Sarasota/Bradenson and the beaches. St Pete is less discovered but is very special. Both cities are great. Depending on what city you choose, you have the benefit of living in a vibrant metropolitan area. I wish you and your family the best of luck with you move.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:00 AM

104 posts, read 341,686 times
Both Tampa and St. Pete have a lot going on these days. I live in Tampa but really like going over to St. Pete. South Tampa has some great areas for young families including Hyde Park for shopping. 2 good rental site for South Tampa are www.larrypollin.com as well as http://www.theeverettcompany.com/Lea...ng_listing.htm As far as IT jobs, there should be lots of options. There are also a ton of places on craigslist.com Have you visited computerjobs.com?

Good luck

Old 12-29-2007, 08:32 AM

3,927 posts, read 10,643,241 times
Your $1500 budget will go a long way and currently there is a lot to choose from... depending on your needs.

For high tech jobs, look into Tech Data, Jabil Circuit, and IBM. Verizon is another large employer.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:03 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,280,014 times
In reply to your questions....I hope this will help you out a bit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardena View Post
Hi,
My husband is getting a job in All Childrens hospital (both locations- Tampa and St. Pete, mostly SP) and we are moving in the summer. We haven't decided yet where to, and haven't visited yet.
We have a baby- will be 15 months when we move. So would need daycare or nanny. Prefrebly daycare. Good one though...
My husband would spend most his time in SP, but he prefers Tampa, since it has more to-do...? (is it true?)
to sum up:
- Need to rent -max $1500 (pretty sure we're not buying- any recomendations either way?) You can get a really nice apt. or house in Tampa and surrounding communities for that price range...
-Need good daycare There are a lot of nice and good daycares here in Tampa/surrounding areas
- Prefer young active neighborhood (nearby restaurants and shopping) -with families This I have to suggest Brandon
-Need to be not-too-far from hi-tech possible employers (does anybody know of any?) Oh, boy, well-it depends-here we have a lot of telecommunications who may need an IT person. Progressive, JP Morgan Chase, Citigroup, Verizon, Home Depot call center, Humana, T-mobile...the list goes on...
-Want nearby park There are a lot of parks here-all kinds of parks...
-Want an area with a low crime rate I keep hearing horror stories about St. Pete and the crime rate. Granted Tampa has it's areas also, but there are a lot of communities that are not so bad....

Also, questions:
-where to go/what to do- when we come to visit the area? Busch Gardens, Adventure Island, Channelside, Lowery Park Zoo, Ice skating, baseball games, football games, hockey games....
-Is it bad to be close to the airport (noise-wise)? Well, naturally being near the airport you are going to hear the planes lift off and over you as well as land. If you don't mind that then great, but if you want more quiet, I wouldn't move near the airport.

Good luck and have a safe trip coming here!!

Thank you very much!!

Old 01-04-2008, 07:16 AM

367 posts, read 1,573,151 times
If you are basing yourself in St Pete to work, then St Pete to live makes a lot of sense. particularly if you have a young child in childcare. You don't want to be driving miles to get home in an emergency. St Pete is a very safe place to live, I have many many friends who live there (I would be living there, had I known about it then). It is one of the most pedestrian friendly areas in thewhole Bay area. You can walk from your house, down tree lined streets in North East, to the waterfront parks, which are always populated with locals, walking dogs, children, jogging etc. The waterfront views are lovely and nearby is the downtown area, with many shops, restaurants and the nightlife is good and family friendly. There are always free concerts, shows, artshow and much more going on. I know that there are many lovely historic homes for rent in the location, but if you wanted modern, they are there too. Condo or single family home, there is plenty to choose from. If you have a choice to drive or walk to everything you do, I know I would choose walking (except in midsummer of course)

Old 01-04-2008, 12:22 PM

849 posts, read 3,280,494 times
Talking St. Pete, hands down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardena View Post
Hi,
to sum up:
- Need to rent -max $1500 (pretty sure we're not buying- any recomendations either way?)
-Need good daycare
- Prefer young active neighborhood (nearby restaurants and shopping) -with families
-Need to be not-too-far from hi-tech possible employers (does anybody know of any?)
-Want nearby park
-Want an area with a low crime rate

Also, questions:
-where to go/what to do- when we come to visit the area?
-Is it bad to be close to the airport (noise-wise)?

Thank you very much!!
Gotta be honest, not sure where ACH is in Tampa but unless it's near USF, you can get there just as easily from St. Pete. For the St. Pete campus of ACH, Old Northeast is very nice but maybe a bit pricey. You will not find a really great apartment at least 2 br. for 1500/mo. in Tampa. You will find an acceptable one maybe but the drive to St. Pete will be awful and there won't be any parks. You will have better luck on this side of the Bay and be safer. Don't know about parks tho. I'm also guessing you'll have better luck with a suitable nanny over here. I know there are lots of major companies based just off I - 275 and when we moved here 2 years ago it was St. Pete that was attracting all the job development, not Tampa. Having lived in both and now back in St. Pete by choice, (our tampa lease was a sentence we were serving) I'd say that's still true.
When people post they want things to do there's no way to know what those things are. Do you want nightlife? Theme parks? Sports? Beaches? We don't do the nightlife scene but there are more cultural things in SP and sports are divided. Tampa has the Bucs and Lightening but SP has the Rays. We are definitely closer to the beaches Several Blue Wave ones like Fort DeSoto which is a county park and awesome. and I hear that the restaurants downtown are quite good. Not all chains. There is some nightlife. In Tampa Ybor is not safe and is just a drunk tank. IMO not what someone settled with a family is looking for on a night out. You can get to the upscale malls, Westshore and International Plaza just as easily from here because they're just over the bridge. Ditto any activities you want to do in Tampa. The only thing they have that we don't is Busch Gardens and Lowery Park Zoo, but those are accessible. You also have the advantage of going over the Sunshine Skyway bridge to get to Sarasota which has museums.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:33 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,284,096 times
This nonsense about the St. Pete crime rate is just that - nonsense. St. Pete is a gem. You should really live there because most likely your husband would be at the St. Pete location of All Children's more often.

The crime in St. Pete is for the most part centered around 1 or 2 neighborhoods south of Central Avenue.

You might want to check out the Euclid-St. Paul's neighborhood, north of 9th avenue, west of 4th Street. It's very family friendly, not boring suburbia, lots of lovely old homes.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:03 PM

3 posts, read 10,099 times
Default St. Pete -- Nice Place to Live

I am also a professional and have lived in St. Pete for more than a year now after living in Tampa for 7 years. Tampa is more vibrant, more "diverse" and has more to do, but if you want to come "home" and enjoy a quiet and peaceful neighborhood, I recommend Northeast St. Pete over Tampa. There is just about everything you need on this side of the Bay and the two major malls and the airport are a short 10-15 minute ride over the bridge (although NOT from 3-6 pm weekdays!)

All in all, I find St. Pete more of a "town" and feel safe and enjoy living here. Then again, I DON'T go into South St. Pete but don't like Ybor either. I guess it's up to what you are looking for. My brother-in-law and his wife send their kids to St. Pete Christian, an excellent private school here. If you want top notch public schools, you really need to look into South Tampa.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-14-2008, 10:13 PM

849 posts, read 3,280,494 times
Default It'll be a while

Prof,
the OP says she has a baby. It'll be a while before it needs Plante HS My husband subs in both systems. St. Pete, actually Pinellas CO. Schools are going to a neighborhood system so that should factor in to their search here. You mention a Christian school and that may be correct but they might need a Jewish Day School. The one over here in in Largo and if they live in So. Tampa it's a mess getting to Carrollwood for the one there. Are there private schools of any sort that are convenient in S. Tampa? I find it interesting you suggest Tampa overall but then mention a school in Pinellas and not all that convenient to S. Tampa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPRof View Post
I am also a professional and have lived in St. Pete for more than a year now after living in Tampa for 7 years. Tampa is more vibrant, more "diverse" and has more to do, but if you want to come "home" and enjoy a quiet and peaceful neighborhood, I recommend Northeast St. Pete over Tampa. There is just about everything you need on this side of the Bay and the two major malls and the airport are a short 10-15 minute ride over the bridge (although NOT from 3-6 pm weekdays!)

All in all, I find St. Pete more of a "town" and feel safe and enjoy living here. Then again, I DON'T go into South St. Pete but don't like Ybor either. I guess it's up to what you are looking for. My brother-in-law and his wife send their kids to St. Pete Christian, an excellent private school here. If you want top notch public schools, you really need to look into South Tampa.

Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay