Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 08:49 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Sometimes you got to share a home/apartment with another person (ie roommate).......another way to live less expensively as you work your way up the employment food chain.....
That is the way it's been done for decades. However, today people expect to start at $15.00 an hour or more, plus benefits. Working their way up the chain is not in their plan but they will expect annual raises just for showing up most of the time.

I dont know where people these days got the sense of entitlement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 08:50 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Miami Beach is more snobby than Tampa.. Tampa is more redneck than snobby as with St. Pete. Tampa is more Southern like than rest of Florida's cities like Miami, FTD, Orlando and such.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:21 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,126,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
That is the way it's been done for decades. However, today people expect to start at $15.00 an hour or more, plus benefits. Working their way up the chain is not in their plan but they will expect annual raises just for showing up most of the time.

And they are more worried on how soon they can get a day off, or I'm not working saturday it inter fears with their party plans. I feel sorry because god for bid that they had to go on SSDI they would not have enough work credits to qualify and their check would be very small if they did.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
And they are more worried on how soon they can get a day off, or I'm not working saturday it inter fears with their party plans. I feel sorry because god for bid that they had to go on SSDI they would not have enough work credits to qualify and their check would be very small if they did.
I have to agree with you there. We are in the same age group so are on the same page as far as that goes. I distinctly remember sitting in on an interview for a legal assistant not that long ago and when the guy was asked "any questions" he replied "yeah. How long is it before I am eligible for the 2 weeks of vacation?"

He did not get the job.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:31 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Miami Beach is more snobby than Tampa.. Tampa is more redneck than snobby as with St. Pete. Tampa is more Southern like than rest of Florida's cities like Miami, FTD, Orlando and such.
no way- Miami had friends from around the world- Tampa after 7 yrs,,,, not even a cup of coffee- outside of work--

Last edited by tinytrump; 10-17-2014 at 04:46 PM..

Old 10-17-2014, 04:40 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,225,857 times
Quote:

Lol. That sounds almost exactly like the lectures my Dad gave me back in 1974. "Damn lazy kids. Back in my day we walked 18 miles to our coal mining job. And we liked it."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbU4Cb4A4-o

Old 10-17-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Lol. That sounds almost exactly like the lectures my Dad gave me back in 1974. "Damn lazy kids. Back in my day we walked 18 miles to our coal mining job. And we liked it."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbU4Cb4A4-o
The minimum wage in 1974 was $2.00 an hour and it jumped to $2.10 in 75.

I worked as a kid in 73 and 74 and I was getting $2.25 an hour.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:29 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,225,857 times
Quote:

I worked as a kid in 73 and 74 and I was getting $2.25 an hour.
Doing what...stacking groceries at the bodega on E. 80th St.?

Just kidding. I was washing dishes at Robby's Pancake House on T.I. in '74 but I don't remember working that cheap. Almost everyone who grew up in St. Pete was a dishwasher (or waitress) sometime in their life.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:31 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Love the Dana Carvey skit.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Doing what...stacking groceries at the bodega on E. 80th St.?

Just kidding. I was washing dishes at Robby's Pancake House on T.I. in '74 but I don't remember working that cheap. Almost everyone who grew up in St. Pete was a dishwasher (or waitress) sometime in their life.
Close. Warehouse/stock in a store like Kmart. L H Martin. The warehouse was the basement.
Truck comes, we unloaded and brought cases of merchandise up stairs for the merchandisers to put on the shelves the way the wanted it. We also put bikes together, handled large items like TV's, stereos and the most hated item.... those pressboard entertainment centers. Those were heavy!!

My father didnt want me in the restaurant biz. He wouldnt let me take a dishwasher job in a small diner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay