Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 10:29 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Its worked the same way for as long as I remember. The hospitals are staffed by independent contractors in a lot of situations. They are not employee's of the hospital.
I hire subs I pay them and manage them not my customer. At the end of the project my customer doesn't get bills from 10 different people, its very silly, and conveniently expensive.
Attached Thumbnails
Hospital bills-traditiondemotivator.jpg  

Old 10-20-2014, 11:24 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,806,501 times
Quote:

There is nothing abusive or corrupt in this situation. The ER doctor is an independent contractor.
They get paid too. By the patient's insurance. If that Dr is not on your insurance plan you pay for his services. Same goes with independent contractor radiologists and those who read the films.
How is this patient's problem???
As I stated above, Florida Hospital in Wesley Chapel physicians at ER do not accept any insurance! Their only way to get paid is by billing every single patient and their rates are insane! It's 10 times higher than my insurance is paying to in-network doctors!!!

I had an emergency and went to in-network hospital. I cannot control who is treating me. I cannot chose who will treat me. I do have insurance (1400 a months for a family, I thought it was 1200 but I was wrong, it's 1400 a months), I go to in-network hospital and then I have to deal with out-of network providers??? What is the point to have health insurance at all?

Old 10-20-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Note the OP: Call the providers business office and play Let's Make a Deal". They are usually receptive to accepting a lower payment instead of taking even a bigger hit when they sell the debt to a collection agency.
Looks like my situation should clear out since we have HMO and there is a law in Florida regarding this "invisible providers", but there is no way in the world I would pay a penny to these doctors. None. Zero.
I already pay for my insurance which has $100 copay for emergency visit and covers anything after this $100. Why do I want to call someone and make a deal? No way. It's not right. If I would have a choice which doctor to pick in ER, I would do it to avoid this ridiculous charges, but why should I pay for something that should be covered? How am I different from people who has no health insurance at all in this situation?
Screw them.
I think this deal with invisible providers should be legally regulated. Period.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:42 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
How is this patient's problem???
As I stated above, Florida Hospital in Wesley Chapel physicians at ER do not accept any insurance! Their only way to get paid is by billing every single patient and their rates are insane! It's 10 times higher than my insurance is paying to in-network doctors!!!

I had an emergency and went to in-network hospital. I cannot control who is treating me. I cannot chose who will treat me. I do have insurance (1400 a months for a family, I thought it was 1200 but I was wrong, it's 1400 a months), I go to in-network hospital and then I have to deal with out-of network providers??? What is the point to have health insurance at all?
How is it the patients problem? Simply because most ER doctors are sub contractors.
Yes, the rates are insane, but an emergency is an emergency. I guess its a lucrative way of
making up for the losses they take since insurance companies dont pay well enough.
I had my wife in the hospital last June. We got bills from the dr who read the radiology, the radiologist, the hospital, the ER doctor and a couple of others. We didnt have insurance. Her bill was just around $40,000.00 for 6 hours at the hospital. They ran every test imaginable and gave her a bunch of drugs, but never did come up with a diagnosis besides "gastrointestinal distress". I admit she was in a lot of discomfort when we got there and she walked out like nothing ever happened. We were rejected by Medicaid because we didnt meet their requirements.

They really have you by the throat when you go to an ER because there is nobody there with a price list so you can choose what/who you want.

If you didnt have an emergency situation it could have been handled "in network".
Hey, I dont advocate this but that is they way its been as far as I remember.

The key: Stay out of emergency rooms unless it is a major emergency.

Funny though how an illegal immigrant can go in and get all the treatment they need and doesnt cost them a dime.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:03 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Looks like my situation should clear out since we have HMO and there is a law in Florida regarding this "invisible providers", but there is no way in the world I would pay a penny to these doctors. None. Zero.
I already pay for my insurance which has $100 copay for emergency visit and covers anything after this $100. Why do I want to call someone and make a deal? No way. It's not right. If I would have a choice which doctor to pick in ER, I would do it to avoid this ridiculous charges, but why should I pay for something that should be covered? How am I different from people who has no health insurance at all in this situation?
Screw them.
I think this deal with invisible providers should be legally regulated. Period.
If you went into the e.r. with a shotgun wound to your chest and they saved your life would you complain about the e.r. doctor charges? If the situation is something a nurse type can handle then you dont utilize the e.r. doctor services.

You may find this article interesting.............. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/29/us...s-are-not.html

Old 10-20-2014, 12:06 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
good article - thanks for providing the link

Old 10-20-2014, 12:08 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times
Only in America... I was born here so I guess I can say that.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:42 PM

877 posts, read 1,913,005 times
Well this is scaring me. I just had a baby at Florida Hospital Wesley Chapel who then was switched to another Florida Hospital for a few days in the NICU. I ended up in the ER for a complication about a week later. We have an Aetna PPO. I'm looking through our claims right now and I'm not seeing anything jump out at me, but I guess we will see when the bills stop coming in.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
If you didnt have an emergency situation it could have been handled "in network".
Hey, I dont advocate this but that is they way its been as far as I remember.

The key: Stay out of emergency rooms unless it is a major emergency.
My health insurance plan covers emergency visits with $100 copay. It has a list of approved aka in-network hospitals. I had a real emergency that couldn't wait until morning, so I have no other choice but go to in-network ER. So, why again should I care about hospital's contractors and pay unregulated rates?

I agree it's better to stay away from ER, but when you absolutely has to use them, why should you pay if you have insurance???

You know what I am going to do in the future from now on? I will not give my real info and will not disclose my insurance info and will not pay a dime. Everyone is treated at ER, they will not let you die. Hospital will see nothing from me, so they can goof around with their contractors all day long, I am done. If they want to treat us this way and get the same treatment back.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewabby View Post
Well this is scaring me. I just had a baby at Florida Hospital Wesley Chapel who then was switched to another Florida Hospital for a few days in the NICU. I ended up in the ER for a complication about a week later. We have an Aetna PPO. I'm looking through our claims right now and I'm not seeing anything jump out at me, but I guess we will see when the bills stop coming in.
I hope you will not be affected! Congrads with a new baby!!!
We received first bill (from the hospital itself 4 weeks after ER visit) and second bill from physician about 7 weeks after visit...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay