Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 11:36 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times

Advertisements

The sick need to become better consumers - for their own financial sake and understand and contract only for services before hand. But at this time, this is almost impossible to do with all the secretive practices such as "drive by doctoring" that happens while you are unconscious and unable to decide for yourself what should be done. Think of this as a kind of "financial date rape."

Unfortunately, until enough of us demand that prices be clearly listed and no "surprise billing" allowed, we are at the mercy of predatory hospital corporations and doctors.

This is why I believe a national agency is needed to enforce rules that benefit patients.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:47 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
They wouldnt accept the rates becasue they dont have to they have a captive customer base who has no choice but to accept their rates which they dont even have to tell you until they bill you, how crazy is that?. BTW 99% of ER cases dont need doctor House, thats why supposedly they do triage to asses the severity of the case, so they can easily assign it to a lesser professional if you want to call it that. You are arguing how the system works, I understand how it works, but that doesnt make it better reasonable, or sustainable.
Im not arguing how the system works, I was stating how the system works. Nothing is going to change it.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
The sick need to become better consumers - for their own financial sake and understand and contract only for services before hand. But at this time, this is almost impossible to do with all the secretive practices such as "drive by doctoring" that happens while you are unconscious and unable to decide for yourself what should be done. Think of this as a kind of "financial date rape."

Unfortunately, until enough of us demand that prices be clearly listed and no "surprise billing" allowed, we are at the mercy of predatory hospital corporations and doctors.

This is why I believe a national agency is needed to enforce rules that benefit patients.
When you are being wheeled in to the ER with a shotgun wound to your chest or are unconscious due to a car crash, you are not going to be checking prices. Neither will your family. You, and everyone else, would want the best care immediately available.

Going into an ER is not a time to be checking your pocketbook. Its an emergency, not a trip to a clinic.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
When you are being wheeled in to the ER with a shotgun wound to your chest or are unconscious due to a car crash, you are not going to be checking prices. Neither will your family. You, and everyone else, would want the best care immediately available.

Going into an ER is not a time to be checking your pocketbook. Its an emergency, not a trip to a clinic.
There is a cost to getting a wound treated, it may not be priced exactly, but there is an acceptable scale. These price scales need regulation (Maybe or maybe not in the form of cost controls - but certainly in the form of price listing / reporting so a consumer isn't randomly or whimsically charged). Also while in that hospital ER -- unconscious, there is no justification to another Dr. swinging by your room, looking at the wound and then deciding to charge you another 10 grand for his "consultation."

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 10-21-2014 at 12:43 PM..

Old 10-21-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
... Nothing is going to change it.
Certainly not. Not as long as no one is willing to even try.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:06 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,806,501 times
Quote:
so, why do we need health insurance than? And why every single policy states it covers ER (different copays for different plans though)?

Old 10-21-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
There is a cost to getting a wound treated, it may not be priced exactly, but there is an acceptable scale. These price scales need regulation (Maybe or maybe not in the form of cost controls - but certainly in the form of price listing / reporting so a consumer isn't randomly or whimsically charged). Also while in that hospital ER -- unconscious, there is no justification to another Dr. swinging by your room, looking at the wound and then deciding to charge you another 10 grand for his "consultation."
Everything has a cost. I hear ya on the consultation guy. :-)

I would think that is going to be one big price list because it would need to cover a whole lot of problems that arrive at an ER.

I think insurance companies should tell their customers - yes, we pay for the HOSPITAL ER visit but we dont pay or the doctors who see you there unless they are hospital employees. They should say specifically that the ER physicians not employed by the hospital are the patients responsibility.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
so, why do we need health insurance than? And why every single policy states it covers ER (different copays for different plans though)?

Perhaps this is an insurance co. issue. They dont pay ER doctors not employed by the hospital and they should be clear about that in their policies, but I am sure you will find it there. The ER being the physical place, the hospital and its staff is covered.

Imagine not having insurance and paying thousands for the ER and m0re for the ER doctor.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:54 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
recommendations given at the end of this article....
Even with in-network hospital, insurance may not cover ER physicians | Tampa Bay Times

What can I do if I am balance-billed?

Don't automatically pay the bill, experts say. First, make sure your insurance plan paid what it should have. Many plans agree to pay at least something to out-of-network providers. United Healthcare says it typically offers out-of-network doctors a choice between Medicare rates and a regional average rate known as FAIR Health. And medical providers may reduce the bill or offer a payment plan when they learn your insurance won't cover it.

And don't forget: Florida prohibits providers from balance billing HMO members. Those patients can contact the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation for help resolving their bills.
But if you fail to pay the bill they will put it in collections right away.

years ago we had an issue of a doctor ordering a different test than we had requested and we had no clue until the bill came and we had to pay for the item not being covered that should fully have been covered.

Quest stated the doctor had put the code on it that wasn't covered and later we found out the doctor didn't found the test needed for our daughter and ordered something different and we were in shock since it was never discussed and the same way conducted as another test so reasonably we couldn't have known this had happened.

We filed a complaint with our insurance company against the doctor after we had paid the amount since we didn't want to deal collections on top of the amount and a few weeks later it was credited after the doctor could provide proof of us being informed or giving consent for that particular test.

One of my kids learned in one of her finance College classes the reason why doctors are requesting phone numbers and info for family members and it is not for the reason most people think it may be and we hardly ever fill that part out unless it is for a reason that someone is very sick.

Neither will I fill out my SSN and if needed I only will fill out the last 4 of my tax ID # that I got and is still valid.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:57 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,806,501 times
Quote:
Imagine not having insurance and paying thousands for the ER and m0re for the ER doctor.
Imagine going to the hospital and not giving your info including your insurance. Both doctors and hospital will see no money and there is nothing they can do about that. If I will not give them my real name, good luck to sell by bills to collection agencies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay